[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to be less autistic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 1466045379806.jpg (48 KB, 630x472) Image search: [Google]
1466045379806.jpg
48 KB, 630x472
I want to be less autistic. I am currently quitting anime and videogames, or at least reducing them very much. This implies stoping everything related to them, like listening to OSTs or related humor, figurines, etc.

I was planning to focus on literature, movies and movie soundtracks, regular music, lifting, sports, arts and craftmanship, dancing, and social activities. What should I do in order to become less autistic? What hobbies should I take? What behavior should I learn, what face patterns, what else?
>>
>>17263622
Listen to Radiohead and death grips :D
>>
You should stop denying yourself your hobbies to impress other people. No one likes a fake. Unless it's detrimental to your life, I.e. you're neglecting other things, then it's not an obsession or a bad hobby to have.

If you wanna try other hobbies, that's great. But quitting something you enjoy that's not harmful is dumb imo. Especially if it's done to appease other people.
>>
>>17263632
This, OP. There's nothing wrong with delving into new interests, but giving up what you enjoy sin't going to change anything in your regard.

If the goal for you is to become "less autistic", then what you should do is surround yourself with people you perceive as "less autistic", regardless of the activity. People adapt the behavior of those around them to some extent, so try to find people with traits you admire and put yourself in situations where you can bond and interact with them.
>>
Your still gonna be autistic OP
>>
>>17263673

That doesnt work for me. I've spent nearly 20 years surrounded by normal, non autistic people, and still I dont get it. As much as I watch them connecting with other people, I dont get how they do it without seeming autistic. They even move their bodies in a natural way, while I look like some sort of alien trying to replicate their patterns.

They talk about things I dont get, and when they talk about something I get they speak very differently from what I do, and very often they quickly move on another subject. I try hard to look like a normal person, but within hours the majority of people identify me as an autist and a nerd. And I dont know why.

Please note that , if I am requesting help, is because mere mimicry of their behavior doesnt work. I dont know how to socialize outside other autistic circles. How do normal people get along? I seriously cant get it.
>>
Any help?
>>
>>17263622
Go kill yourself
>>
start low-carb dieting.
>>
>>17264019
Those "non-autistic", "normal" people are different people altogether, You shouldnt be trying to change who you are since that's a futile activity, Try instead to grow in who you are already, Abandoning what you like and who you are will only make you a robot and thereby even more "autistic".
also, you should stop saying autistic so much, you're really overusing that word.
>>
>>17265291

But I dont like who I am. Thats the problem.

I overuse autistic because I dont know how to define that mixture of social awkwardness, anxiety and shyness.
>>
>>17263622
Get a fucking job, go outside, talk to random people and so on.

Getting a job is a way to end autism by itself.

I was gaming like a madman, then I got a job and now I rarely make time for it, only as a reward for work. It works great and it's a real confidence boost.

Fuck movie soundtracks, listen to whatever you like.

For face patterns, you don't need to learn shit, just learn to appreciate people's humor and jokes and you'll be fine. All expressions come naturally to humans. Smiling, laughing, disgust, fear, anger.

Pro tip: If someone is talking to you and they start to stutter a little or lose their thread while looking at you, tilt your head slightly to one side. This is that inquisitive dog look some dogs do when they're listening and it really makes you seem like a great listener.
>>
>>17265691
What don't you like about yourself?

Find ONE thing you like about yourself, the rest will follow.

If you don't like something about yourself, find out whether your surrounding NOTICES that. If not, fuck it, do whatever with it. If yes, go about it more subtly.
>>
>>17265719
>Find ONE thing you like about yourself, the rest will follow.
not him, but I can't
>>
>>17265719

Well I like reading books. Of about any subject, including Sciences, Politics, Phylosophy. And tinkering shit. I help my dad fixing random crap at the house. Feels good.

What does follow after this?
>>
start posting videos of yourself on youtube.

Watch videos

improve your speech, mannerisms, etc. until you are satisfied.
>>
Also, forgot to reply

>>17265713

Doesnt count as a job, but Im currently studying Law. I am in my finals, in fact. One more term and I get the degree.

Since I started the career I almost had no time for gaming, but that hasnt brimmed me with any confidence at all. In fact it made me more miserable because I cant evade myself into the virtual world and have to think about my life. This including why I am autistic.

TL;DR: Autism hasnt finished by studying hard.

About music, I believe that Plato was right about the Ethos. That the music you listen to can influence your mindset. Thats why I am trying to stop listening to soundtracks associated with autistic hobbies.

I dont appreciate other people's humor. I cant find why they find X so funny.

>>17265719

You mean I should ask other people if they think I dont like myself?
>>
>>17265948

How does posting videos on YouTube help with social autism?
>>
>>17266004
I meant if other people find this or that part of you a bad part. Because you may dislike what most might find adorable.

Good on the law, make a life-long goal. Mine is to have an inheritance waiting for my kids when I die. Based on how well I do that, I'll rate myself on the deathbed. Go for 3 stars.
>>
>>17265942
Now make something out of it. Something that helps other people. Post online that you can repair their shit. They'll bring their shit and you'll repair it. Perhaps make friends, while you're at it.

Friends make life so much easier, but I found that in adulthood, you need to give money to get money and give friendship to get friendship. Do favours for people, be open. Most of my jobs started over a friend or a friend's friend, now I do my dream job at a national publishing house. And I'm aiming higher. All because I said "Sure, I'll do that for you, no problem". I get e.g. free fruit from a buddy who's a farmer just because I help him from time to time.

Friends make life easy, but don't expect to make friends out of nothing. Think of the downie guy who builds Ikea furniture for people. He must have tons of friends, people who recognize him and have a few kind words for him.
>>17265911
Well then try something that you enjoy doing and that gives you a feeling of accomplishment. If not today, think back to the last thing that made you happy when you did it and that made the world a better place (even if a little, or even if it was comparatively nothing, i.e. feeding ducks in the park). Then build from that.
>>
>>17266157

Well, during the 2012-2016 period I worked as part of the staff of an Anime Convention. If you were thinking that working with other people helped dealing with my autism, I assure you it didnt. I learned many things about teamwork and getting shit done, but couldnt get rid of the autism. There is a problem when a weaboo girl tells you that "you seem weird". And even when you ask why, you only get the impression that is because you are off-puting.

I made friends and such, but Im still autistic for the most part, so it didnt help that much.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.