[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can anyone explain to me exactly what is a liberal arts degree?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
can anyone explain to me exactly what is a liberal arts degree?
>>
Barista Competency Certificate
>>
>>17254184
but seriously now
>>
>>17254175
Non-Americunt here for an answer
>>
>>17254175
A degree in a non-technical or non-pre-career field, chosen and designed primarily for the value and pleasure of learning for its own sake, and not just as a means to a job - e.g., English, philosophy, history, etc.

Many universities and small colleges promote this approach, buy offering or requiring a wide variety of courses in various fields - i.e., everyone has to take at least one science, one arts or literature, one something else, etc. - or by having a core curriculum - i.e. great books, history of philosophy, etc - that everyone has to take along with a major.

Those who think of university solely as a road to a job sneer at this approach, since it seems "useless" to them - though, in fact, employment possibilities for liberal arts grads are not significantly lower than for STEM or business majors.

Those who suspect that it might actually be a nice thing to leave college with some education beyond career training are attracted to the approach.
>>
>>17254175
back in the day it made you better than 90% of chumps applying for a job

in todays world, it means you graduated high school and now have 30k in debt and desperately need a job.

don't let mom convince you that communications degree is worth it. she's not wrong, in 1980 it was worth it, today it's not
>>
A degree in the humanities. Usually involves a lot of paper writing and research, but it depends on your major.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.