[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was going to ask /biz/ but they don't seem to like single-question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1464814065294.jpg (37 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1464814065294.jpg
37 KB, 300x300
Was going to ask /biz/ but they don't seem to like single-question threads. I need to fund college for this year (need ~$9000 in loans to commute up to class), and will be attending for at least 2 years to acquire Bachelor's.

I'm very uneducated about loans, but I can get a few student loans from banks that offer variable interest rates, which average a 3.75%-9.50% starting rate based on credit, and a max of 20% interest rate when fluctuating. My credit is above-average, thankfully.

My main question is whether or not those are good rates? Are variable interest loans worth getting or are they generally very unstable?
>>
>>17248720

>Are variable interest loans worth getting or are they generally very unstable?

Depends on what they variate against.
>>
>>17248724
Looking at the one I'm leaning towards (Wells Fargo):

>This loan has a variable interest rate that is based on a publicly available index, the Prime Rate. Your rate will be calculated each month by adding a margin between .24% and 6.24% to the Prime Rate. The Index (which is the Prime Rate) is subject to a contractual minimum of %. The rate will not increase more than once a month and will never exceed % (the maximum allowable for this loan).
>>
>>17248730

>Your rate will be calculated each month by adding a margin between .24% and 6.24% to the Prime Rate.

Great, now what are they basing the .24% vs 6.24% on? I realize you probably don't have the answer, but that would be my next question.

This chart gives you a good idea of what you can expect:

http://www.moneycafe.com/personal-finance/prime-rate/

...within 6% until we figure out waht they base it on.
>>
>>17248740
I don't think this helps much, but there's this too on their site:

>Interest accrues daily on the unpaid principal balance of your student loan. We use a simple daily interest calculation to determine accrued interest for each day:

(Current Principal Balance x Interest Rate) /(365 or 366 Days in the Year) = Simple Daily Interest

Thanks though for giving me something to go off of
>>
>>17248768

That just means that if you can't pay your loans, you are fucked.

Basically, they are saying that if you borrow $100 at 10%, you aren't going to pay interest on $100, you will pay interest on 100+10, 110+11, and so on. Standard practice though, so nothing to be concerned about.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.