[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you know if you're happy? What are you supposed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (389 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
389 KB, 1920x1080
How do you know if you're happy?

What are you supposed to do if you're not?
>>
>>17241809
Kill yourself.
>>
>>17241809
Whenever you don't feel sad, you're happy.
>>
File: 1456762407334.jpg (21 KB, 312x345) Image search: [Google]
1456762407334.jpg
21 KB, 312x345
>>17241809
>How do you know if you're happy?
idk , do you feel happy ?
>What are you supposed to do if you're not?
meditate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJjyrzqkXrE

http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=107
>>
>>17241821
I have times when I don't want to cry, as the matter of fact I can easily keep myself from crying most of the time.

Does that count?
>>
>>17241826
No
>>
>>17241827
So does meditation really help?

I can't do it in noise and there's always bound to be noise whenever I start contemplating doing something that requires silence.
>>
typically if I'm happy I notice two things.

1. I don't feel like beating the everloving shit out of 80% of the people I come into contact with for some perceived stupid bullshit

2. everyone else wants to beat the everloving shit out of me, figuratively and literally, cause fuck that guy he's happy.

that's how you know. when everyone hates you for not being as beaten down as them and you don't want everyone to shut the fuck up and die.
>>
>>17241833
Grab some headphones (preferably noise-isolating ones), look up "Jon Kabat-Zinn" on youtube, and go through some of his meditations.

It is incredibly relaxing and mood-improving.
>>
>>17241833
it doesn't require silence , but a quiet room is good .sound can be a part of meditation.you should try it .
>>
>>17241809
Happiness is a meme. It's impossible to be happy all the time. What you really should aim to be is content.
>>
File: 1338691750572.jpg (36 KB, 672x505) Image search: [Google]
1338691750572.jpg
36 KB, 672x505
>>17241840
>Happiness is a meme
>>
>>17241839
Okay.

My sister singing Adele's Hello at the top of her lungs. How do I make that a part of it?
>>
>>17241840
Happiness is a state of mind.
You are thinking of joy.
>>
>>17241809

You were mislead. There is no "Always happy". If you do its called Mania in psychology. Its not a good thing. Its like babies who are born without physical pain, they will chew their fingers off when theyre toddlers.

You're a biological computer, you have a series of emotions and feelings that are all indicative of something.

You are also instinctually wired to always want a little bit more than what you have, so a successful well paying job with lots of money, for example, will only make you happy for a short time after you get it.

After that its all on you. Accomplish small things, have hobbies, keep things new, and keep learning. And of course get a job that pays well enough so you dont have to deal as much with financial anxiety, and a good job so you dont have to deal with monotony or job stress.

THen be fucking sad when youre sad, be happy when youre happy, angry when youre angry and so on.

Happiness isnt a point you reach, its constant life micromanagement
>>
>>17241946
So humans are just perpetual hunger machines who cannot be fulfilled?
>>
>>17241982
Our entire existance is a testament to that.
Its how we work. Its how we acheived so much.

On an individual level, you can manage yourself in ways to live a pretty happy fulfilling life, but yes, any feelings of total happiness and satisfaction will be very short. You just aren't designed to feel that way constantly.
>>
>>17241946
This is great advice.

There is no "wrong" way to feel, and emotions are fluid and ambivalent.
>>
>>17241988
So there is no real reason not to fill my days with alcohol, trash metal and dick?
>>
>>17241991
It's gonna get old quicker than you think
>>
>>17241992
Then what?

If life is inherently void of meaning, what do?
>>
>>17241991

Depends how you want to look at it. Morally, No, no reason not to. Nothing is actually wrong or bad.

For the sake of your mental and physical health, yes, there are a million reasons.

Alcohol will cause liver failure, which isnt instant, its long, slow and miserable. Its also a depressant drug, which means a lot of it will slow your brain functions, from cognition, to mood. Your reward systems will go all funky and youll have anxiety, anger and depressive disorders. Also much financial strain.

Filling your days with dick increases chances of STIs, and, depending where you live and your circles can cause social alienation, which is something you want to avoid if youre thinking along the lines Ive presented you, because you are also a social animal. I cant speak for your friends and social life, maybe itll be fine.

ANd finally metal is for faggots.

tl;dr "So I can just do whatever I want" is a fucking terrible way of looking at this psychological nihilistic view point. Over indulgence of almost anything will fuck your life and systems, and if youre looking to enjoy life, you need balance and moderation. You have one, and youre talking some great ways to ruin it, if not now, then definitely in the long run.

But if it works for you it works for you.
>>
>>17242000
Remember that if your existence ultimately means nothing, enjoy it. Do things that you will be able to look back on and say "God, I'm glad I did that." Don't waste time contemplating the ultimate futility, just make the most of your highly limited time here on Earth.
>>
>>17242000
The real meaning that no one really talks about, is that everything everyone does is just to make themselves feel good.

So you could say we're all innately selfish, and the only real meaning is to live a life that will make you feel good.
>>
>>17242000
What do?
Just do...

You have one. It is enjoyable if you manage it properly. So do it.

And if you do have any disorders or chronic depression, (And Im smelling a faint hint of it off your posts), then take what I tell you and understand it is something wrong with your neurological wiring, and a medical professional can help.
>>
>>17242008
We're social altruistic animals. KIndness and cooperation with others is a big part of making ourselves feel good.

On that point alone you can effectively argue your point, and I can effectively argue we're not selfish at all.

Lets leave it there.
>>
>>17242013
But the real reason you act kind and cooperate is to make yourself feel good about doing it.

You just agreed with what I was saying
>>
>>17242023

As I said, its a good point for you, too, but if it makes us feel good to see others do better, and even help in it, then its inherent selflessness, really.

This will go in circles for 6 and a half hours, trust me. leave it.
>>
>>17242025
I see what you mean.

Selfish and selfless are just concepts we thought of to describe our own actions anyway, there's no real meaning to it.
>>
Keeping yourself busy.
Try to learn new things every day.
Your mind will suffer constant change, you wont feel bored. So in the end you won't feel sad.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.