[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/ I need some career advice. I graduated with a BA in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: nurse-jokes.jpg (21 KB, 228x250) Image search: [Google]
nurse-jokes.jpg
21 KB, 228x250
Hey /adv/ I need some career advice.

I graduated with a BA in Math and got a job at a hospital lab because of my cousin. Make decent money since I still live with parents, 32k a year, more with OT.

I was talking with one of the CRNA's who told me to go into nursing and become a CRNA. He said he graduated and got offered a job at 175k a year and just left for a position at a oral surgeon office for 220k a year.

I like the medical field, but there's so much different positions in it. I like helping people too.

Another option I was told about is biostatistian, there is a paid masters at my school that offers it seems pretty cool.

There's always MD too.

Shit I don't really know how to choose what to do. I don't mind being in school long.

sorry been a mess since GF left.
>>
Is there a question in there?
>>
File: 1411375160925s.jpg (8 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1411375160925s.jpg
8 KB, 250x250
I can't speak for everywhere, but in the East Texas it's hard as hell for a male to get hired in the nursing field.

Almost all women- and even quite a few men- flat out refuse care from a male caregiver. Employers have a lot less hassle if they just stick to females.

Also, if you're white, forget it. Most nurses are black and they'll form cliques against you. It's the one field where blacks have the numbers, and believe me, they're going to take out every percieved injustice they've ever experienced on YOU.
>>
Uh why not work with your BA in math?
Actuary?
Statistican?
Consulting?
>>
>>17238869
CRNA is ~7 years. MD is more, and don't forget years of residency. Med school isn't easy either. For that amount of time, you could easily supplement your current degree with a masters, and take a bunch of certifications. This will open up more opportunities and make you more $. If you want to be in the med field because of the environment, become a radiology tech. Basically they operate the MRI and CT machines but don't actually interpret the results. All you need is an associates and some certs I think, and it wont take you as long since you already have gen eds done with your BA. They make ~58k (2015 median pay) which is a little less than double what you make now. Then go from there.
>>17239004
The black nurse thing is true in certain hospitals, usually the shittier ones. The nicer ones I've been to tend to have mostly white nurses. You won't have a problem finding a job as a male nurse. If you do, it might just be your area. At that point just move.
>>
>>17239004
I could see that.

I live in the northeast though, and my best friend is a male nurse. I think black population for our county is like 3%, so probably not too many black nurses. Anyway, he generally gets the better jobs because he's a male and the hospitals view him as more competent.
>>
>>17238869
>BA in Math
why aren't you making 300k already?

btw, why aren't you doing something related to math, and why don't you ask >>>/sci/ or even >>>/g/ ?
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.