[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My speech impediment leaves when I speak in accents
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1462136480403.jpg (43 KB, 582x741) Image search: [Google]
1462136480403.jpg
43 KB, 582x741
Using my normal voice, which I guess is white American, I tend to make the d consonant sound in place of the t sound, as well as occasionally, but noticably stutter.
However when I speak using a southern drawl, it completely leaves.

Should I start using a southern accent like Larry the cable guy?

Lol pic unrelated
>>
>>17236119
DUDE NO WAY, FUCKING SAME. I can speak perfectly fine in a British accent.
>>
>>17236119
It's not a speech impediment, it's a feature of the "Standard" American accent. It's called a flap if you want to look it up. All of you yanks do it, I'm British and I fucking hate it. It's even worse when you guys misspell shit because you can't say it properly.

>Shudder in place of shutter and vice versa
>Skiddish instead of skittish

etc.
>>
>>17236149
I do that like times three. Instead of saying "to the store" I say "do da sdoor", and I don't know why.
>>
>>17236316
That's just how we Americans speak brah. It's usually subtle but that's how everyone talks.
>>
>>17236803
No I'm saying it sounds like I have down syndrome.
>>
I have a strong accent, and I can feel this a little bit.
>water is wudder
>mountain is moun'in
>fountain is fou'in

I have to concentrate really hard to pronounce some words properly. Your problem sounds more severe, though. Have you looked up speech therapy?

I don't smoke myself, but my brother has a severe stutter, and weed helps with that a lot. It might be worth trying, depending on the laws where you live.
>>
>>17237328
I haven't at all yet, I figure it would just be a save of time, effort and money if I just speak with a southern accent, but I don't know if that's weird or not.
Also I hate weed, but I've heard it works.
>>
>>17236119
The D-T thing sounds more like a regional accent than an individual impediment - think of the Dese Dem and Dose of the classic Brooklyn accent.

And it is quite common for any conscious interruption of your normal speech to improve impediments. Some people with impenetrable stutters can break through them by singing the blocking word.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.