[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Coping with childhood problems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 1456523402928.png (240 KB, 428x456) Image search: [Google]
1456523402928.png
240 KB, 428x456
Hey /adv/, I'm 23 now, but I guess everything started when I was 3. I was abused by my dad's at-the-time-girlfriend. She would beat me, lock me outside or in my bedroom closet for hours at a time, always called me degraded me by calling me bad or worthless, etc., and at one point she almost drowned me when my 3 year old dumbass over filled the bathtub and she got super pissed. When my dad found out and left her he never talked to me about it, my mom didn't either, but my whole family knows. I've asked about it before when I was still young and my parents were just kind of quiet about it and didn't say anything relevant.

The past few years I've been looking back on my teen years and especially my youth I really held onto that, and things that people did or said. I used to draw a lot and make comics as a kid. I wanted to be an artist or an animator, but my family and friends would tell me its not a real job or its stupid. I started writing a lot when I was around 8 and was really exclusive about it. The one time I showed one of my parents a short story they grimaced at the fiction/fantasy of it and told me how much they despised it. Around 11 I started to play guitar and especially bass guitar and I would feel a release of pressure in my chest I'd never knew I had, but when I told my parents that this is what I wanted to do they told me that so does everyone else and I should start focusing on real career choices.

It seems like all of this negativity has come from women, which has really affected my view of people, especially women in general. I don't find the joy I used to in music or art or literature. I get anxious like years slip away just because I spent 15 minutes playing my bass or drawing a bird.

Does anyone else experience these feelings or have a history similar to me? How do you cope? How can I move on from this?
>>
File: 0hoots.jpg (42 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
0hoots.jpg
42 KB, 750x750
>>17234800
Keep doing what you love, there's no reason to seek anyone's approval for that
>>
>Ask parents about abuse
>*awkward cough*
>Shows parents story he wrote
>You're a talentless hack kid

The fuck is wrong with them. I can understand not being able to handle the abuse issue (they should have looked you up with a psychologist) but telling a kid that something they created sucks? Especially your own kid? What the hell? Who DOES that?

What you've gone through would give anyone problems. Don't feel guilty or feel like you're weak. Any psychologist would have encouraged you to pursue the guitar. Music therapy is a real and effective method of healing.

>How do I cope
Therapy, my friend.

>How do I move on from this
Also therapy. You'll come to thank yourself for it.
>>
>>17234812

While this is true; for a child, positive affirmation would go a long way. OP never has had that form of support. But I suggest a psychologist.
>>
>>17234812
Z
H
G
SON
DAT Z. H. G.
>>
>>17234822
>>17234836
I'd love to go see someone to get some help, but my insurance doesn't cover mental disability, I'd have to pay out pocket, which I can't afford because I'm paying for health insurance, which I'm only paying for so I don't get penalized at the end of the year, which I also can't afford. I don't know what to do but it feels like the longer I try to run or avoid this feeling the faster it comes. I get nightmares about it fairly often (I don't dream much, or don't remember them, but when I do its usually about this situation).
>>
>>17234860
Are you sure? I thought that was a requirement with Obamacare. Maybe you have a shitty plan that doesn't meet the minimum requirements?

You can sign up for a better plan. What you pay is based on your income. Might even be free. There should also be low income options for mental health care available in your area. Here's a page with information and links to various resources about it: http://www.adaa.org/finding-help/treatment/low-cost-treatment
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.