[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I into therapy, /adv/? I'm in my mid-twenties and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_mlo6weATVe1r81219o3_1280.gif (654 KB, 800x592) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mlo6weATVe1r81219o3_1280.gif
654 KB, 800x592
How do I into therapy, /adv/? I'm in my mid-twenties and super anxious. I don't have a general practitioner, but I've tried to do research into what kind of counselor/therapist/whatever would best suit my needs, but I don't know how to even approach someone about getting the help I need. Is it really just taking the plunge and calling or emailing about setting up an appointment? Sorry if this is too vague.
>>
A therapist is going to be a worthless money pit. A Psychologist is what I think you're looking for.

And, yeah just call up a practice, ask if you can get an appointment as a new patient, and go from there. Helps if you know your insurance and if they accept it before hand, you can usually check online.
>>
>>17216150

assuming you have insurance its as simple as calling said therapist's office and aksing if they take your insurance then booking. go in knowing what oyu want tos ay even if its just 'im sad all the time and dont know why'.

i also recommend not going back if they immediately go for pills. you want someone who is more of a 'coach'. who talks out what the issue is, advises you on how to fix it, then lets you have at it
>>
>>17216150
Search for psychologists in your area. Choose one that takes your insurance. You will need to call around to find out.

Then you just go. They'll pry stuff out of you. You don't need to know what to say or where to start. They know.
>>
>>17216159
>>17216165
>>17216166

Thank you all. I guess it was stupid of me to ask for validation on this, but I appreciate the prompt responses (and the assurance). Is just a Google search for "psychologists in my area" a good starting point? It just seems like there are so many options.
>>
>>17216175
Yes it's a good starting point. Browse their websites to find out if they specialize in things. You can weed out ones that are specifically for families/kids, or eating disorders, or whatever. You want a general psychologist unless you happen to find one that is especially known for working with anxiety issues.
>>
>>17216175
I'd start with the most convenient location from you, and if that doesn't work keep branching out. But, yeah you got the idea.
>>
>>17216180
>>17216184

Thanks again. I've got to go to work now, but I'll have somewhere to start at least.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.