[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask a lawyer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 3
File: durp.jpg (25 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
durp.jpg
25 KB, 640x640
Bon soir /adv/, ask a lawyer anything. I'm from Canada and do family law mostly, but g'head.
>>
how do i find out if my dad was covered by WSIB? the Workers Compensation Board
>>
>>17213662
That's an odd question. I'd need to know why you need to know. And how old you are.
>>
File: 1461019480497.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
1461019480497.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1365
how do we save the white race?
>>
>>17213695
he died while working and i could use some money to not be homeless. i'm 22.
>>
bump for op to come back
>>
>>17213778
Who says it needs or deserves to be saved?
>>
>>17213781
OK, you need to talk to the administrator/executor of your father's estate. Also, look at this PDF.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ey_7TZHk9z4J:www.wsib.on.ca/cs/idcplg%3FIdcService%3DGET_FILE%26dDocName%3DWSIB012715%26RevisionSelectionMethod%3DLatestReleased+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca
>>
>>17213844
there's no executor. my family is dicking around. i can't start the whole thing myself because i live in france. but i will look through the pdf, thanks.
>>
>>17213857
Someone has to take care of the business of the estate. File the terminal tax return, pay debts, distribute property under the will if there was one, look for accounts and insurance policies. Tell your family to get off their asses and step up. If there was no will then someone needs to apply to court for an appointment of estate administration without a will. Not difficult, legal fees won't be much.
>>
>>17213866
i understand, but my family are all inept or underaged. i've hired a probate lawyer but it's very messy, there's jurisdiction issues and a ton of other stuff. i'm just kinda hoping to get lucky on the WSIB so i dont have to go homeless.
>>
>>17213926
I'm glad you have an estate lawyer. Good luck, bud.
>>
Is becoming a lawyer in the US worth it?
>>
>>17213955
I don't know. I'm not a US lawyer. I can't tell you much about it.
>>
File: 1416755128645.png (332 KB, 546x463) Image search: [Google]
1416755128645.png
332 KB, 546x463
what car do you drive?

do you love your job? why/why not?
>>
>>17213988
I do a lot of driving around to see clients, some live in remote areas. So I drive a piece of crap. I'm not a "car person", I don't care what I drive.

Working with people and children is interesting. On a good day I feel like I've helped someone or made a kid's life better. On a bad day I feel like humanity is doomed when adults with kids act like vengeful, spoiled, entitled children themselves.
>>
tell me about copyright law, babe. what qualifies/doesn't qualify as fair use?
>>
>>17213653
Is working as a public defender worth the expense of law school?
>>
>>17213653
Is Canada a nice place to live?
>>
>>17214076
I don't know. We don't have that system in Canada, although it's getting closer to it. Legal Aid hires staff lawyers, it saves the money in the long run I suppose.

Most of the staff lawyers at Legal Aid that I know aren't there for the money, that's for sure. I don't know what public defenders in the US earn.
>>
>>17214084
I think so. We get all the humour of US politics without having to vote ourselves. We're like Americans, but with fewer guns and more healthcare.
>>
>>17214021
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_Canada

Sorry, I don't practise copyright/patent/trademark law. I can't tell you anything about it that you couldn't easily look up.

I do like being called "babe", however. Thank you.
>>
>>17214090
Actually that gives a followup question that I'm not sure you will be able to answer but fuck it I'll ask anyways. How hard is it to own a gun in Canada? If I just have a rifle for when I go backpacking because I don't want to end up a bear snack is that going to be tons of paperwork and crap?
>>
>>17214122
Not the OP

Depends on where you live. Don't try bringing a gun over the border, I mean. If you actually live in Canada, I'm sure it's a different story. I actually imagine that buying rifles/shotguns is remarkably similar in CA to the states.
>>
>>17213653
Does the law use specific words for a reason ?
>>
>>17214146
I'm not stupid enough to try and bring a weapon over a border. I'm just an amerifat thinking about moving somewhere colder and America's front lawn looks pretty appealing.
>>
>>17214122
One needs to get a license to have a gun, and then get a gun. To get a license to carry a gun in Canada you have to live in Canada, I believe. So if you're not Canadian you can't have a gun in Canada.

You need a second license to have a handgun. Even then you can't just walk around with it, unless you have a special permit to do so which is hard to get unless your work makes it necessary.

Hunting is something else entirely. Most long guns were registered, but not anymore. You still need a license for it, and you can only hunt in season with a hunting license of course.

You still need a good reason to take a gun camping. You're better off with bear spray, or climbing a tree, or camping where there are no bears. http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/wild-sauvage-eng.htm
>>
>>17214157
Legal language is awful. But it's meant to be precise, not concise. And some things like the US tax code are meant to be gibberish.

If you have any specific words in mind, ask me.
>>
I sublease a house and a previous tenant is asking for her deposit back, I said no and now she's threatening legal action. She wrecked the place and I fixed it all myself using her deposit (and then some), but didn't keep detailed records or proof. Also, she didn't notify me of any prior damage but is now claiming it was already there. Should I be worried if she sues me over this? Would I have a case, and what's the worst that might happen if I lose?
>>
>>17214223
I wish I could tell you. It depends on what evidence you have. Next time, take pictures when the sublet moves in, with a timestamp, so you can prove what damage occurred between then and the date when the sublet leaves.

I assume that the damage deposit was relatively low, and most people won't bother to sue for a low amount.

See a paralegal near you, have them write the sublet a letter telling them to go away or else they'll get creamed and you'll countersue for your costs and time above the damage deposit, plus legal costs.
>>
>>17214171
Uh oh, did you just advise someone to climb a tree to get away from a bear?

You just lost all your credibility XD
>>
>>17214262
I'm not a survivalist. You can't sue a bear. Fine, I can live without credibility in the field of bear escaping.
>>
>>17214262
If he was giving outdoors advice he would, but I don't think law school covers how to escape from bears, but seriously OP don't try and climb a tree to escape from a bear they are expert climbers.
>>
>>17214269
Polar bears aren't.
>>
>>17214278
Touche
>>
>>17214251
It was $500 USD. I am hoping she won't, I figured legal fees would probably exceed that making it not really worth it for her.
That's a good idea, does that cost a lot of money to have them do?
>>
>>17214358
I'd think you could find a paralegal do a letter for $100 but it depends on the market in your area. Maybe less.
>>
It's Friday morning, thread is still around. Any other law questions?
>>
>>17213835
He asked HOW not WHY.
>>
>>17214920
That's true, he did ask how instead of why.

OK, thinking of an answer, I can do this....shoot them all into space to find a new planet of their own?
>>
>>17213653
Are prenups just a meme?
>>
To make a long story short: I was charged with destruction of property and assault outside a bar about a year ago.

I have to write a small apology letter to the victim as part of a deal to make this go away but I'm really struggling. This guy provoked me and got his ass beat then had his friends lie about what happened.

Do you have any suggestions for the content of the letter? How should I address this man.
>>
>>17215000
watch the johnny depp apology video, maybe you will feel inspired
>>
>>17214985
No. Prenups are a thing in the real world too.

A prenup is a good idea, especially if it's a second marriage for either or both spouses.
>>
>>17215012
I keep hearing that judges throw them out at a drop of a hat. Does this rarely happen?
>>
>>17215000
That sucks, I'm sorry. Just keep it short and be respectul and sound like you're being honest. "Dear Jim" or whatever should be fine, I don't know how anyone could expect otherwise. Just say that you regret what happened and that you've learned a lesson, and you're sorry for any suffering or inconvenience he's been put through.
>>
>>17215018
Same thing with a separation agreement done at the kitchen table. It should be done with a lawyer's input and legal advice if one expects it to survive a challenge. It's not unusual for such contracts to be tossed if they are unfair and no legal advice involved.
>>
>>17213653
A friend of mine went through a terrible divorce and his ex is now using CPS to harass him (at least that's my perspective). For example, she reported him after her brought their daughter back to her with a bug bite on her face, and and reported him again recently after she learned that he had given her a bath, despite the fact that he has zero history of abuse with her.

Is there any way for him to get her to stop filing frivolous reports like this?
>>
>>17215038
Oh, he lives in Ontario
>>
>>17215038
No, there's no way to stop the ex from calling the child welfare authorities when she's trying to give him a hard time. But after a few calls they'll stop taking her seriously.
>>
Hi
>>
How many cases have you worked on in total would you say?

Also, what would you say was your toughest, and why?
>>
>>17213653
What advice would you give to aspiring lawstudents?
>>
>>17215054
Hi yourself. How are you today?
>>
>>17215099
Shameful selfbump.
>>
>>17215061
Some cases are long and some are short. When I do duty counsel work (paid hourly by legal aid to be at court to help those without a lawyer) I'll work on a dozen cases per day. I've also had plenty of files where I've represented mothers or fathers in custody/access disputes. I've represented parents against the child welfare authorities to get kids back. I've represented children too in all kinds of family cases. So thousands of cases, likely.

The toughest are when you see people going back to terrible situations and nobody can stop them. Women go back to abusive partners over and over. Kids want to go back to neglectful or abusive parents because that's the life they know. That sucks.

But what's worst is when a mother chooses an abusive or pedophile boyfriend over her children, and then the children wind up in foster care. The kids want to go back to mom, and she wants them back, but she won't leave the boyfriend. Very sad.
>>
>>17215120
Selfbump by whom? Me or the posting Anon? I didn't post that question.
>>
>>17215099
Umm, by "aspiring" I assume that you mean you want to go to law school. My best advice would be to study something you like as an undergrad so that you get good grades, and to practise the LSAT. It would be helpful to get a job doing something law related, but I'm sure those jobs are hard to fine without connections.
>>
>>17215135
>>17215143
Self bump by me, The anon asking about lawschool.

If you could go back to school, what would you do different? Make more connections etc? Thank you for your time canadabro!
>>
>>17213653
I'm interested in being a lawyer at a firm working in business law. Care to give me some of your experiences as a lawyer? Have you handled any depositions or litigations?
>>
>>17215165
If I could go back to law school knowing what I know now, I'd probably have paid more attention. Not to get better marks, but rather to have learned more.

Going back to my undergrad, I'd definitely have been more serious about my studies and go to class rather than the pub.

And never ever sell out your personal integrity. Your reputation is everything. Always keep your word and admit when you're wrong.
>>
>>17215209
I've done plenty of depositions and litigation. I couldn't do business law. Arguments about money are boring to me but that's where the money is I suppose. I can't give you any tips on business law because I avoid it.

I enjoy doing trials. That's a lot of work but the pay is good and it really gets me fired up.
>>
>>17213653
Can someone make a will without legal help or no...please help or explain..yes I know I sound a bit ...dumb...
>>
>>17215253
Thank you lawbro. Best of luck in your career, and I hope to start mine within a year. Cheers to lawfags around the globe
>>
>>17215279
Yes, one can make a will that is legal without the help of a lawyer. But a will is important, you don't want your family fighting over your estate. Most people would say that's the last thing they want.

So if you want to do it yourself, get a will kit that you're sure is written to suit the laws where you live, and do it if you want. But most lawyers do a simple will for very cheap, treating it as a loss leader. And if the will is complicated you should definitely get a lawyer to go over it.

Don't worry about sounding dumb, it's a good question and I get it frequently.
>>
>>17215398
I'm not that anon but i'm interested in the topic.
What is a will kit? I live in mexico and my grandfather is living his last months. He has not made a will but doesn't know where to start.
>>
Was it worth it?
>>
>>17215579
I assume it's some premade papers where you fill in your assets and how to distribute them when you die.
>>
>>17215579
Oh, I assumed you were from Canada or the US. I really cannot tell you where to start regarding a will in Mexico. There are websites though, so there are obviously estate lawyers and such.
http://www.mexicolaw.com/LawInfo23.htm is a link I found, but there have to be more.
A "will kit" is a "how to do your own will" package that one can buy at a bookstore commonly in Canada or US.
>>
>>17215588
Was what worth it? Becoming a lawyer? Saving the white race?
>>
>>17213835
t. jew
>>
Any questions? Apart from saving the white race?
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.