[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
am i being the insecure boyfriend?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: 1449182877456.gif (436 KB, 500x338) Image search: [Google]
1449182877456.gif
436 KB, 500x338
i asked for help a couple of days ago and got some answers, want a few more opinions.

this is my first serious relationship. this is her first serious relationship. i'm 25, she's 21.

my gf started summer classes recently. i've been interning at a hospital which takes up most of the week. this is the first instance of our relationship where we can't see each other as often as we'd like. usually our schedules weren't this rigid and consuming.

she has begun doing something a tad odd and i'm trying to shake this feeling of insecurity/jealousy. over the course of roughly two weeks since she started class, she has texted me about her male classmates without any provocation. a few examples recently:

>wow, my lab group if three macho dude bros. send help
>one of the guys in chem asked if i wanted to study together and i'm going to go since i need the help and he seems to know his stuff
>i met a nice guy named jake in lecture

i was actually in the middle of typing this out when she called during her break. since our schedules don't line up well, we haven't been able to talk much on the phone either so i eagerly picked up. while we were catching up i picked up on a few things.

>she and one of her lab partners (mike) have other classes together and talk
>she and jake do homework together
>jake has her number, texts her

i think i'm overreacting. our relationship is good/healthy. i think it's just my imagination assuming the worst. i just don't like the way she compliments these guys ("macho" or "beefy" mike or the "intelligent" or "smart" jake) when i'm never asking about them. her giving her number to jake is also an issue but they're classmates and this is pretty normal. i've given my number out to plenty of lab partners and such during school.

i don't know. again, i feel like i'm fitting that cliche jealous boyfriend mould with the way i'm thinking and it has only been two weeks.
>>
>>17212139
it's odd she never mentions any female classmates, hmmmm
>>
>>17212157
she hasn't mentioned any female classmates by name, no.

i don't even ask about her classmates. just how class is going and how she's handling the coursework. the way she has mentioned these guys over text are, again, without provocation.

i haven't addressed any of this. when i noticed the remark about jake texting her i didn't say anything. i didn't acknowledge the text she sent about her studying with jake. i wanted to assume she was just being honest/transparent with me.
>>
>>17212186
since she never mentions female classmates she isn't interested in study with them and likely they guys are all over her and using the old study together to be together. I think she's telling you to get a reaction to see how far she can go. I'd just ask her if she has any female classmates or study partners you never mention any.
>>
>>17212139
I think shes trying to make jelous in all honesty, but I also dont think theres anything dodgy going on

This is hard to deal with. The number one thing is to not show insecurerity. However, there is a time and place to put your foot down. If, for example, she wanted to stay round jakes overnight or go for a meal with him, tell her you dont want her too

How long have you been going out? i find early days that people, especially girls with inexperienced guys, like to push boundries just to see what the rules are and what you'll tolerate.

I would just stand up for yourself on things that matter, and let things that dont matter slide.
If you want to play her game, mention girls more. This'll sound bad but ive often given flirted with other girls infront of my gf when shes been a bit annoying
>>
sounds bad mate, very inconsiderate of her at least. If she actually goes to jakes house then I would asume she's either having feelings for him or is very naive about his intentions. either way, acusing her of anything will make you seem posessive so that's difficuilt

I would still say it'd be wise to confront her about it. Like ask if she has any feelings for him, but you'd have to be prepared to drop her if you get bad news.
>>
>>17212225
this probably
>>
>>17212209
> I think she's telling you to get a reaction to see how far she can go.

Why the fuck do girls to this shit?
>>
>>17212225
>>17212225
we've been together about a year and a half. longest relationships for either of us.

i understand choosing my battles. the texting between her and jake is uncomfortable but i'm choosing not to pursue it. it's within the realm of innocence and i only end up looking bad.

i don't want to stoop to that petty bullshit level of name dropping and alluding. i've made friends with a lot of people through my internship. a fair amount are attractive girls and i don't mention them to her cause there is no point.

>>17212260
she's not dumb. she likes to play it sometimes but she understands why a guy would want her number or to study together. it does feel inconsiderate but i also understand wanting help in a course and being social with your lab partners especially if you're going to be with them for ~three months.

she gets attention from guys but her interactions are usually with some sort of disdain. she would mention how a guy was trying to talk to her while she was out shopping and wanted to get away from him, some guy trying to get her attention at a red light and how it felt inappropriate and ignoring him, and etc. with this group it feels like she wants to spend time with them and communicate with them outside of what's necessary.

i can't bar her from making friends though.

it has only been two weeks which is why i don't want to sit down with her and have a serious talk about what's going on. i'm unsure what sort of time frame would be appropriate but i'm not going to be able to just try to ignore all this for the next three months.
>>
>>17212139
it didn't take long for the guys to start chatting her up and for her to take them up. She's not really acting like a girl in a serious relationship. I understand study partners but only guys and only those that ask her. If this is serious studying usually she would be the one asking for help instead of hanging with cute jake or mike or chem guy or this dude or that one.
>>
Ask if you can milk her like the cow she is. Works every time.
>>
>>17212289
because they like the attention from the guys but know it isn't really the right thing to do so they tell the bf. If no reaction then it's good to go. If anything is said by the bf then the girl becomes defensive because she knows it was wrong in the first place.
>>
>>17212298
Well that's fucking stupid. I get attention from girls but I don't go around telling my girlfriend, or telling her about some girl I just met.
>>
>>17212290
>i can't bar her from making friends though
of course not but she only making "friends" with males
>>
>>17212309
because you are an adult and do not think it necessary to play a game. You have the interaction and dismiss it. The girl savors the exchange and while nothing may come of it it does stroke the ego.
>>
>>17212289
not just girls. People will test their boundries and walk over you if you let them. The sakes are just higher with a sexual partner

dont let them do it, and find a girl who stands up for herself, and i gaurentee you'll be happier bc of it
>>
>>17212290
A year and a half seems long enough to discuss things. Way i see it, you have too options

Tell her the truth about how it makes you feel, but dont say any expectations of how you want her to behave. I think she'll feel bad, but you do run the risk here of making her little study meetings into something naughty even though they arent currently, then it becomes a self fuffilling phrophecy

Id problably just leave it, and put my foot down if things esculate anymore + start talking about girls, complimenting girls etc in a non threatening way. An easy way to do this is to mention x celebrity being "perfect" or mentioning how theres a new cute barrista who you think fancies you and how funny that is
>>
>>17212291
again, she likes to feign naivety but she understands why a guy would be so proactive to interact with her.

an example:

i was speaking to administration at school and she was waiting for me nearby. one of the representatives needed to grab a file and so i looked back at her and i see a guy talking to her. they seem really friendly so i figure she must know him from class or something. i finish up with administration and we start walking back to the parking lot. i expect her to mention the interaction but it wasn't until i prompted her "so, who was that guy?" did she actually speak about it. turns out to be a friend from high school and just catching up as i had gathered.

fast forward a week or so and she calls me during one of her breaks. she mentions how she met her high school friend again on campus and how she feels weird about him. apparently he was also between classes and asked if she wanted to get something to eat off campus. she declined since she felt it was a weird request and said she had eaten already. he then asked if she just wanted to just go for a drive then since he wanted to get out. she declined again but this time mentioned how "my boyfriend wouldn't like me getting into a car with a guy. he gets jealous about things like that."

my reaction wasn't "wow, that fucking guy trying to flirt with my girlfriend." it was "babe, why would you say that? why not just tell him you weren't interested?"

i'd never exhibited a jealous sort of behavior before. even when she would mention how a guy would flirt with her while she was out i would bust her balls about it.

she knows why these guys would want to talk to her. she's just not shutting these ones down.

>>17212353
i feel like if i mention how i'm uncomfortable with her studying with jake and such that she will just choose to be less transparent. again, i don't ask about her interactions with these guys. she chooses to be honest about it all. still just feels inconsiderate.
>>
>>17212377
you'll just have to trust she has told the guys she's taken and glad you realize women are aware of what is happening. ball is in her court
>>
>>17212377
>studying with jake
in the library or some public place on campus is normal but if they take it off campus for a coffee or elsewhere it's more like a study date
>>
your girlfriend is into him. find your own girl whose schedule aligns with yours and fuck with them both don't let your mind get fucked by a hoe
>>
>>17212397
i don't ask for specifics. i don't acknowledge these sorts of things when she mentions them so i can't hound her for questions regarding it all.

it doesn't mean i'm ignoring these sorts of things (evidently) and it certainly is affecting me. i just feel like i need to give it more time to see how things go.
>>
>>17212425
I agree it's best she is still offering some information but you can bet there is more to it but thankfully on two weeks in. We'll see what happens when one of these guys really asks her out or makes some comment and if she become disillusioned and bored with the newfound friends and their attention, tells you about it and it stops or she suddenly shuts up about the guys because something is going on.
>>
>>17212425
Just be careful nigga. Similar happened to me in 2 relationships, one caught feelings for her new friend and the other one kissed him when they were alone. Fucking shattered me for a while. But it taught me that women act solely on emotion. If some guy makes her feel good, she's less likely to be able to control herself.
>>
>>17212461
moral of the story is there is not a damn thing you can do to prevent it. nothing
>>
>>17212377
>"babe, why would you say that? why not just tell him you weren't interested?"
Guys are more willing to listen when you mention that. She probably told him that to get him to back off. If she kept saying no, and he was the persistent type (which I gather he was), I can understand why she would include that tidbit to "scare" him off.

Op, don't listen to half the faggots in this thread. You sound like you've got a really good head on your shoulders, and you know your gf, you know how to handle the situation. She's being honest with you because she doesn't want to feel like she's hiding anything, and she feels obligated to keep you in the know. She's very honest, and I think that's a positive trait. I agree that you may want to give it more time, but also give your gf more credit. From what you've told us, she seems like she's trying to be considerate by telling you written she's interacting with these guys, not trying trying to make you jealous. You don't tell her everything because you don't find it necessary. She might think she's being considerate when it seems like you'd rather her not tell you written she interacts with another male who might be interested in her. If it bothers you in a week, bring this up to her.
>>
>>17212487
thanks. that was her explanation as well. she felt it was just an easier and more effective way to dissuade him. i wasn't necessarily mad at her for mentioning me in that sort of light. it was more about wanting her to be true to her thoughts and to voice them.

i like to think i'm a good judge of character and aware of how people work which is why i'm not up in arms about all of this.

however, in the same vein, i'm also aware that this insecurity/jealousy isn't baseless. i've never been this concerned before with other guys. the compliments, the rate at which these relationships have progressed, her opting to spend time with them, etc. this does seem different than some guy wanting to get her number at the mall or some guy in his car shouting compliments.

yeah, i'm trying to give it time. i'll try my best to push it out of mind for now.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.