[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
repainting my room...while still living in it??
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
Hi /adv/

When I moved into my current room I was coming from across the country with no money (unemployment ran out the week I got here) so I just sort of accepted whatever it was like. Now I've been here awhile, got a job, saved up some, settled in, and I'm pretty sick of the room. For one thing, it really needs a new coat of paint. I checked with my housemates and it's OK for me to paint the room.

BUT how do I do that when I have to, you know, live here? Is it possible to, like, paint one side of the room, then the other? Will I die of paint fumes if I sleep there? I can stash most of the stuff in the basement but not my bed.

Realizing how completely clueless my questions are, I turn to /adv/, where at least I'm anon in my stupidity. Help me!
>>
Just paint it all in one day and sleep on the couch that night
>>
>>17206754
move your furniture into the center of the room and cover them with plastic or shitty sheets. Then paint.
>>
>>17206754
As a decorator who's spent the best part of the last 15 years surrounded by wet emulsion I can promise you it won't do you any harm.
>>
Is it possible to paint one side of the room then the other? Yes, it is definitely possible. If you are not in a situation where you can paint the whole room at the same time then you should indeed paint one wall at the time. Will you die of paint fumes if you sleep there? Nope it can't kill you. However it can make you feel sick and miserable. The paint fumes will be at their strongest for 4-5 hours following the painting, and can linger (albeit weakly) for the next several days or so, depending on how long you can afford to keep the windows open.

My suggestion: Prepare a single wall to be painted until all that is left to do is the actual painting. Have the paint, the brushes, the paper, the clothes, everything on the ready. Go to sleep. On the morning of the next day you should eat breakfast, paint the wall, open all the windows and then spend the next 4-5 hours outside, such as reading at the local library. When you come back to your room the air should be relatively breathable.
>>
OP here; I'd like to think that I could paint it all in one day, but realistically I don't know if I could. Nice to know I won't die at least. The paint it immediately upon waking idea is a good one. Thanks gang.
>>
>>17206796
I'm sure everything will turn out okay. If you are not experienced with paint I recommend looking up internet guides such as these.
http://www.wikihow.com/Paint-a-Room
Good luck!
>>
>>17206754
Instead of asking g a bunch of neck beards go to your local hardware or paint store and ask. If they don't know call or visit the manufacturers website.
>>
>>17206815

but then I'll look like a n00b IRL

>>17206809

thanks anon!
>>
>>17206754
Why are you asking your roommates if it's ok to paint instead of the landlord?

There is undoubtedly a common room in your dwelling. Sleep there while the paint is drying/airing out.
>>
>>17206754
THICK
>>
>>17206842

Look you faggot how many wall you are you going to paint? More than 3 buy the 5 gallon.

Buy good paint if you care about it sticking and what not.

Cheap shit works as well just doesn't lay on as nice

If in a room and you buy flat if you don't mind an extra bit of shine I'd go semigloss you can clean that shit.

Follow this guys adv >>17206781

Instead paint all at a once. Leave for 4 hours add the second coat and leave again.

You'll be done in a day 8 hours of work and it'll look nice.

I'd even say do 2 colors it looks modern and adds style.

One pastel color and something darker that complements it on one wall.
>>
>>17206855

landlord is annoyingly hard to contact, so I asked them if they knew if it was OK (they've all lived here longer than me) and they said yes they'd done it before.

There is a common room yes, though it would suck to sleep in, constant coming/going. But if I have to I can.

>>17206867

I'm sure I'll buy too much in any case, I always do that, but thanks for your /adv/, helpful.
>>
If you move all tbe stuff, just cover your bed with a tarp or some plastic from a roll at home depot or something.

I suggest two coats per wall. Sand the wall if you want, prime it as well. Rollers get the job done, but brushes for the nooks. Do you have any molding? The design that should –or usually does– outline your floor and ceiling? Do you want another color for that? Do you also want to paint the ceiling?

Brushing technique is also important. You could over work the paint or not work it enough that you have globs of paint on one stroke. Remember lighter colors are harder to apply on darker walls.

Oh as another anon said, flat or matte, but semigloss is also common.

To be worried about fumes, you would have to been using a spray machine. Not sure what else to add. My father is a contractor and it all seems straightforward and easy.
>>
If you just want a quick coat of a paint to spruce the paint up you should be fine quickly painting it in the morning and then leaving the windows open.

Shouldn't take you very long if you use a roller.
>>
>>17206877

molding on the floor, not the ceiling. Haven't decided the colors yet--wanted to figure out if the idea was feasible in the first place. Painting the ceiling sounds like a total nightmare to me... probably try to avoid that. But I might get carried away.
>>
>>17206871
It is a terrible idea to make any changes to the property without getting approval from your landlord in writing.
>>
>>17206932

thanks dad I'll keep that in mind
>>
>>17206892

I suggest to stat away from the ceiling. My father likes to use the paint spray machine for that, especially because most ceilings are textured with stucco or I guess specifically orange peel.

If it's an odd color, perhaps work with the color of the ceiling? Do you know the dimensions of your room? That could help you asses correct amount of paint. And much less for the molding. Also remember to close the lid tight (we use a hammer). We just had an accident today with an employee who didn't close a bucket of paint securely and spilled once we tried to shake the paint.

I suggest primer because it helps adhere the new coat of paint. That's why paint canvasses are primed with gesso.

Off the top of my head, white is a popular go to color of apartments. Specifically off-white, or eggshell white. We have bought that paint regurlarly over the years.

If your bed isn't too large, it should be feasible. I had to help paint a living room with huge couches in the middle with maybe two feet of space between the wall and the stuff in the middle. I did ruin a black pair of shorts. So keep that in mind and wear old clothing or white to get paint on and look like a faux-artist lol.

This is more paint theory, but complementary colors work, analogous too. You might want something soothing like a pastel blue or a grey-toned blue.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.