[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buddhism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: buddha-7.jpg (239 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
buddha-7.jpg
239 KB, 1600x1200
Hello /adv/! To be frank this is my first time posting here so I don't know what to except but here it goes.
I have been thinking for a long time to start practicing Buddhism since as I figured a lot of people who are satisfied with themselves have some sort of religion in thier life. What sort of steps do I need to take to, for the lack of better terms, understand it better?
>>
>>17202089
First step is not to be frank, be yourself.
>>
>>17202089

Just google shit. Mindfulness in Plain English is a good starting marterial, even for people who aren't into Buddhism but want to get into meditation.
>>
Thich Nhat Hanh's books are great and are easy to read. They are short too. They are all pretty similar.
Other than that, read any books on meditation and mindfulness that grab you
>>
>>17202102
>>17202109

Noted. Although I live In a shitty part of Europe where libraries don't have a lot to offer, I bought a E- Reader so those kind stuff shouldn't be a problem. Thnx for the advice.
>>
>>17202089
I think the best way to learn Buddhism is to read very few books that say they have objective knowledge on the subject. It's not very easy to understand how Buddhism works when you're subjected to others experiences. First, learn what type of Buddhism you want, Mahayana, Nichiren, Zen, etc. Then, just learn the simple rules and how the common practices are. After that, simply let it sink in, don't create routines for meditation, let time come to you to meditate in. After a while, you'll feel a sort of understanding, it's not very apparent at first. If you must read a book, read something like The Gateless Gate. Something subjective rather than objective, create your own thoughts and live by their meanings.
>>
>>17202137
>>17202137
When I was a teenager I practiced breakdancing and my trainer sometimes talked about Zen and Buddhism and how it helped him understand himself and the dance more easily and thoroughly. So I always felt that I was missing out on something and there was some profound power he had attained that was untouchable to us common mortals. From what I read before Mahayana is closely tied to Zen (correct me if I am wrong) so I guess I will start from there.
>>
That depends. Are you interested in the IDEA of Buddhism or are you interested in joining it as an actual religion?

>>17202201
Zen is derived from the Mahayana School of thought. It is the most popular in the west because it is the least rigidly formed schools of thought on Buddhism. If you have an interest in it, Alan Watts' lecture on The Nature of Consciousness is a great way to gain some insight into that line of thinking.
Thich Nhat is also a well known source, although he may come across as more archaic as he belongs to an older school, that eventually developed into one of the Zen schools of thought.

Buddhism is a great thing to look into, but it still is a religion. If you actually intend to follow it as one, be prepared for some unpleasant tenets to follow.
>>
>>17202089
All these fuckers are retarded. It's an initiatic guru lineage and you aren't special, so a guru is pretty much necessary. You can read and intellectualize, but it misses the point and takes forever. Everything you think is wrong and anything you think about what you read is also wrong. Also fuck western zen. Between suzuki and the mindfulness movement, there's a lot of spiritual materialism and hipsterdom.

Not to say you can't self-initiate, but you aren't 14 and already ass deep into renouncing the world.
>>
I am also very interested in Buddhism, I want to be able to gain more control over my mind and body, specifically stopping my tics without medication
>>
Just avoid Maharishi in Iowa. That place is a brainwashing cult. Fuckin ru's. Glad I'm getting out of Fairfield after 20 years
>>
>>17202222
Several Buddhist sites claim Buddhism is not a religion
>>
>>17202234
There isn't ba temple in my town but I will go check out some Buddhist centre while stopping at the library.
>>
>>17202279
They are incorrect, and are probably western yuppies riding the "spiritual awakening" bandwagon.

Buddhism does not believe in the traditional concept of a Godhead, and thus to many people is "atheistic". It's not, and is still most definitely a religion.
>>
>>17202222
What sort of things do you have to avoid? I can go without most of the things but their position and opinion on sex isn't quite clear to me.
>>
>>17202279
Buddha was against the idea of him being worshipped. He repeatedly points out that he wanted to be considered as just another person.

Religion is usually the search for something divine. Sadly, this sort of quest and devotionalism has tainted quite a lot of buddhist interpretations over the years.
>>
File: Yplh18u.png (26 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
Yplh18u.png
26 KB, 527x409
>>17202255
>>
>>17202293
That depends entirely on the school you subscribe to, and how that school interprets things.
Some schools consider physical desires to be a core part of overall desire and thus you must do without. Meaning no amazing meals, no sex, no masturbation, no going out of your way to get silken sheets instead of your 150 thread count, etc.
Others may be lenient on the matter. If the bowl is full, then eat. If the bed is made, then sleep. No fuss over what's in the bowl or what the bed is made from.
>>
>>17202290
How is it not atheistic? Buddha is not a God. I know that Siddhartha was tempted though by the "God"mara
>>17202303
Buddhism is the quest for enlightenment, correct?
>>
>>17202478
You're correct, Buddha is not a god.
But the concept of a Godhead exists.

What you're saying is paramount to "Islam isn't a religion because Mohammed isn't a God" or "Judaism isn't a religion because Abraham isn't a God"
>>
>>17202485
This is getting way off topic I just want more control and was wondering if Buddhism could help, it always seemed secular because the concept of God was not central to Buddhism and because there are atheist Buddhists
>>
>>17202469
I would get a kick of living in simplistic manor. If I owned a few less things I would be a minimalist ( although I think the whole movement around it is a bit smug and pretentious). Quitting having sex on the other hand is just wrong but I can see the logic behind stopping masturbating.
>>
>>17202495
How is no sex wrong
>>
>>17202493
>I just want more control
This can help, but it's not a magic fix. Meditation and aiming to not desire things (including the desire not to desire. let that one float around your head a bit) is a good way to build discipline, but so is routine exercise or a job.

>>17202495
This is why I stipulated "Are you interested in the idea of buddhism, or buddhism as a religion"
Spiritually I'm closest to buddhism than anything else, but I would never call myself a buddhist. Because I'm not. I eat to excess, I smoke, I drink, I fuck.
But I meditate, I aim for the middle way when I can, I try to let go of the idea of I.

It took me awhile and I need to come back to it after a few years of insanity but my happiest has always been when I was living simply. That's all I took away from it, I never dove in religiously. Alan Watts is probably my go-to because while he did study it as a religion, he never considered himself a Zen Buddhist nor even a teacher of it.
>>
>>17202493
You seem to be on a quest for religion, kinda like any would do so long as it's peaceful and promotes harmony. Buddhism will do, but that's not how the author intended it to be.

If you're looking for a more amiable online group, try https://www.reddit.com/r/Buddhism/
>>
>>17202501
Its healthy, makes you feel more connected to your partner and it gives you satisfaction.
>>
>>17202511
I feel like I'm more interested in the idea of it, I'm just kinda of recently stopped being a christian so I don't know if I want to be involving myself in a new religion but thank you
>>
>>17202533
Kek. This troll got me.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.