[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Blue collar path
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: mwc_stagg.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
mwc_stagg.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3000
Hi all. Tried tagging on to an existing thread but it's dead.

I'm a CS dropout basically because I went with the path of least resistance (coding and math are easy to me) but had no actual goals/plan and lost motivation rapidly. I'm seriously considering learning a trade, getting into an industry, and continuing education to move myself somewhere exciting. Lately I've been looking at getting a CP as a machining technician or welding technician, and wondering what kind of employment I could expect and what options might be available to me down the line. The aerospace industry is very exciting to me, as an example.

I'm capable of the math required to be an engineer but afraid I'd still be too shakey on what I want to do with my life and lose motivation. Additionally, two-year colleges are essentially free to me but a four-year requires building up debt. Is it at all reasonable to work up to an engineering position through continuing education?

Basically, I'm looking to jump into a career finally and figure out what I enjoy the hard way so that I may work towards it, but I'm looking for advice to make sure I don't do something stupid (again). Thanks.
>>
Bobombp
>>
Bump for morning crowd while I sleep.
>>
File: 1464421825449.png (784 KB, 1200x1052) Image search: [Google]
1464421825449.png
784 KB, 1200x1052
>>17194849
Just stick with CS m8. If you live in the US, software development is the way to go; you won't find that kind of ROI for any other kind of degree. Passion and motivation are overrated. Discipline and sticking with something that you know is smart (but may not necessarily be "passionate" about) isn't.

I repeat, discipline > passion everytime. People change, you will change. Your interests will change. Pick a state school, don't get into debt, finish some internships, and graduate with a decent GPA. CS is a big fucking field and if you somehow end up hating every single aspect of it, you'll have made loads of dosh in the meantime.
>>
>>17194849
Do you want to use your brain for the rest of your career? If not, by all means, become a blue collar worker. If you want to use your brain, become an engineer or programmer. Once you have the degree you can do whatever you want with it. You don't need to figure that all out now, all you need to do is put your nose down and do the work. You can become a programmer without a degree by just getting good and making whatever the fuck you want and showing it to potential employers.
>>
>>17196108
This so much. What you're going through right now you're going to feel all the time in the working world, and it's okay as long as you don't do anything drastic. You have a skill youre developing in cs, so sick with it. Trades pay less, work you harder, your co-workers are frequently idiots at the highest level career they could ever possibly achieve, and you ARE going to feel like you sold yourself way short if you go there.

Trades are great careers, but not if you have a skill in math and coding. The biggest lie of our generation is being told you can find 'passionate' work. What a crock. It is possible, but only for a very few people who already know what they want. Don't fall for it, and by the Gods don't expect it to be a fucking trade haha.
>I found my passion as a machinist

Toplol.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.