[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/ I have a problem speaking in group presentations. My
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: image_6.png (433 KB, 360x408) Image search: [Google]
image_6.png
433 KB, 360x408
Hey /adv/
I have a problem speaking in group presentations. My voice gets shaky and my palms sweaty. It's funny because I do way better if I'm doing a speech or something. Is it a matter of preparedness?

Thanks.
>>
>>17190119
Hmm.. I know what you mean? Do your knees also feel weak, and do your arms go limp as if they were spaghetti as well friend?
>>
>>17190127
Yessir.
>>
Practice practice and anybody else can suck your @$#/×. No. For reals it all comes down practice and know your stuff and it will get better. Mrathon not sprint practice.
>>
>>17190119
A lot of people get nervous speaking in public. It's something that happens to me still under some circumstances even though I'm pretty used to talking to people in public most of the time. Usually once I get going though the nerves go away because I'm more focused on what I'm doing.

Yes, it sounds like how prepared you are has some influence. The more comfortable you are with the material you're presenting and how to present it, the more calm you will probably feel. Practicing out loud a couple of times in front of a friend can help (plus your friend can give feedback on how well the material was presented) but even doing it out loud alone is very useful.

If it helps to know this, most people can't tell exactly how nervous you are. Even if you're shaking, it's nowhere near as visible as you might think it is unless you're holding something like a piece of paper.

Most people also don't really care that you're nervous or if they do, what they generally feel is sympathy.
>>
>>17190145
>>17190142
Thanks. Really appreciate the advice
>>
Ugh I used to hate presentations, I'd cry before I'd have them and I would be shaking and my face would be all red.

It doesn't really happen a lot anymore, I can't even remember the last time. I think it has a lot to with being prepared, as the first time I didn't blush was the first time I did a presentation without bringing any notes up - and I was the only person in the room who know what I talked about. It's worse if more people know the things you're about to tell them, but what worked for me was really just to make a presentation-perfection and nail it. I just figured I had to try and nail all of my future presentations, but that's kinda impossible.. I don't feel that way anymore, I think I just got used to it.

Practice in front of people and honestly my best advice is to laugh if you make stupid mistakes in front of people. Like once I had a presentation with this other girl and we were going to show a video, but she didn't know where the AUX-cable was supposed to be inserted so she went, "What hole should I stick it into" and the mood was kinda awkward, and although it really wasn't an appropreate moment, I just went "That's what she said," and people laughed and it was all good. People enjoy fun things, so laugh of your own mistakes and you'll be good to go.
>>
If you're not too ethically averse to the whole idea of big pharma, you should try beta blockers. You should be able to get a recipe at a doctor, just talk about your anxieties. They help with the perspiration and blood pressure, with some side effects like cold hands and feet. They've helped me atleast.
>>
I was the same, after so many they're no problem now.
I think it's important to really understand what you're talking about. You won't even need a script if you do, and it's easier to recover when you make a mistake.

Always remember that the listeners are not trying to trip you up or catch you out- they just want the information you have to give. It can help to imagine you're just explaining it to a close friend, because really there's no difference between 1 person and 20 people, it's all in the mind.
>>
>>17190119
The group dynamic also matters. Do you feel like it is ok to make a mistake in the group? Do you feel psychologically safe? If not, these are things you can address as a group because it is likely other people feel the same way, and making it acceptable to misspeak or make a mistake or not know an answer will help everyone. I work in a large team that has regular 4 hour meetings wherein multiple people present, and it is very productive because people feel really safe to ask "stupid" questions or not know the answer or screw up in the presentation. This makes the meetings very educational and fun, and something everyone looks forward to. Also, we usually have snacks which definitely lightens the mood, so you could try that.

Other than that, what everyone else is saying - practice and know your material.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.