[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tips On Writing Essay
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: lotr.jpg (13 KB, 273x185) Image search: [Google]
lotr.jpg
13 KB, 273x185
Ok guys im writing an essay on influences of JRR Tolkien during his life to influence the writing of the Lord Of The Rings. Any Tips or info i could use while writing
>>
The best tip I have is to follow the prompt as exactly as you can. Make sure you're talking about exactly what it asks for, instead of something tangentially related. Also do plenty of research since it makes it easier in the long run.
>>
>>17189479
ok but we have to do everything ourselves. Theres no restriction or rules to follow. Out professor just said do a writing project on LOTR and I chose this. So theres nothing i can really follow.
>>
>>17189474
Look at the cunts career and exposure.

It's been argued that Tolkien wanted to give the west a myth structure like the classic civilisations. Work that.

You chose a fucking doozy of a topic senpai people have written dissertations on this.
>>
>>17189523
well any other writing ideas.
>>
>>17189538
I always found it easiest to write about a book or series of books to real life history. Connect situations and events in the book to shit that happened in history.
>>
>>17189549
yeah i was doing that while comparing JRR Tolkiens time serving in WWI
>>
>>17189474

- He was a catholic. It shows.
- He still liked freemasonry. It shows.
- He was mainly interested in languages and culture, and had a finished grammar, vocabulary and language history of elvish, before writing a single word of lotr. It shows.
>>
>>17189559
that's the whole assignment. write about the correlation between WW1 events and geo-political climate and relate them to LOTR events and climates and then sum up. boom, essay done. What he was hoping to accomplish with the book isn't relevant, only his influences.
>>
>>17189538
Keep it simple get it right.

Dissect a character. Gandalf is an archetypical wizard. Cite other wizards in fiction in past and future works and compare their characters. Consider how Tolkien 'assembled' him.

Compare him to classical figures like Mithras and the argument that Tolkien was trying to give the west a myth structure.

You're fucking spoiled for choice with something as broad as lotr to work with.

Fuck electrical engineering I should have breezed English.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.