[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can I get anyone here to agree with me that depression is weakness?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: strong-kennedy.jpg (303 KB, 1920x1800) Image search: [Google]
strong-kennedy.jpg
303 KB, 1920x1800
Can I get anyone here to agree with me that depression is weakness?

Before today's politically correct, SJW bullshit, "depression" was stigmatised for a very good reason - it is a sign of weakness. Everybody gets depressed at some point, but you don't fucking rabbit on about it, you get on with it. Think about those who fought in the war, did they complain about "being depressed"? No, because they were more concerned with NOT BEING SHOT.

You realise why these lies are pedalled these days don't you? Because it keeps the population pathetic and compliant. If a person ignores their anger and frustration with their position in the world, and instead just cops out with "oh I'm depressed", then they don't fight to change things, or have emotional outbursts like getting in fights or whatever (something which has been a natural part of human life forever). They stay compliant, they sit in their shitty little office job where they generate revenue for their boss, and then spend their whole wages on consumerist crap that they dream will make their life better, but actually it just makes more fat cats even wealthier.

Please say I'm not the only one with sense... please say there are others who see the truth as well
>>
You're either 14 or on the autism spectrum. Probably both.

War veterans didn't talk about their mental illnesses. But a disproportionate number of them did kill themselves over them. Being able to talk about mental illnesses saves lives. Fact. Glorifying violence and fights, which have no relation to the topic at hand, is just stupid.
>>
>>17184982

FUCK I KNEW IT. The lies have infested everywhere

I'm 25 actually

Your lies probably kill more people than they save to be honest because suicide rates are higher than ever

Also I bet you're the kind of guy that likes watching somebody fuck their girlfriend aren't you
>>
>>17184993
Suicide rates are higher than ever because suicides were covered up in the past if the deceased had any family. Because suicide was a crime.

You moron.

And nah, I'm too alpha to be a cuck. I'm just not completely ignorant as to the science behind mental illness like you seem to be.
>>
>>17184972
You know what OP? Damn straight. What a bunch of quivering pussies, suffering from a medical condition recognized by every medical institution in every country in the Western world. It's almost as bad as people with broken legs.

Before Hippocrates' politically correct, "I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm" bullshit, having a broken leg was stigmatized for a very good reason - it was a sign that you were going to be a shitty cripple for the rest of your life. Everybody has a sore leg at some point, but you don't fucking rabbit on about it. Think about those who farmed for the polis, did they complain about "being depressed"? No, because they were more concerned with NOT STARVING TO DEATH.

You realise why those lies pedalled back in those days don't you? Because it kept the citizenry pathetic and compliant under the oligarchy. If a person ignored their anger and frustration with their position in the Senate, and instead just cops out with "oh my leg is broken, I can't walk and am in agonizing pain", then they wouldn't fight to change things, or have emotional outbursts like murdering the other Senators (something which has been a natural part of political life forever). They stay compliant, they sit in their shitty little farm where they generate taxes for their oligarchs, and then spend their whole drachma on Persian luxuries that they dream will make their life better, but actually it just makes more tyrants even wealthier.
>>
>>17184972

Of course it's a weakness. It makes you give up and roll over.

I'm of the view that it all comes down to your views on your situation. You got yourself depressed, you can get yourself out. Unfortunately the large majority don't take responsibility and that only medicine can fix their problems.

Nothing is your fault. You aren't in control of your situation. You can't fix anything wrong in your life. Be a good goy and keep popping those pills.
>>
File: 1440645745032.jpg (13 KB, 480x221) Image search: [Google]
1440645745032.jpg
13 KB, 480x221
>>17184993
>>17184972
>>
>>17185013
>oh, oh, it was all covered up!!!!!
Christ how can you even listen to yourself spew this bullshit

You have presented all the evidence to show that you are a cuck

>>17185042
It's not a medical condition, you are also a cuck

>>17185052
See I knew there are bright people out there. It's just a shame there are very few these days. I worry a hell of a lot for society these days. Everyone buys this happy-go-lucky view of the world... it can't be sustained forever. It won't be long before hungrier people in the world (China, the Middle East, India) rise up and put all the soft Westerners in their place. Probably over our lifetimes.
>>
Every illness is a weakness including depression. That doesn't mean they are used as a tool to keep people compliant. It's more of a result of or fucked up society that more and more people end up being depressed. People usually get depressed when they run out of ideas, and enter a repetitive circle that wears their brain down. Also, creating even more conflict and misery won't make people less depressed.
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (56 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
56 KB, 480x360
>>17185077
>Also, creating even more conflict and misery won't make people less depressed.
If anything, REAL conflict and misery help depression. They shock people into realising how lucky they are just to be alive.

Life has always been a struggle. Think of working class men who would fight each other, play football with each other, to entertain themselves, but also so they would get stronger, physically and mentally, to better survive the struggle of life. That's how humans have survived for all of history. It's how animals survive too, they play fight each other to keep fit and strong (for when they actually have to seriously fight each other to the death over food or a sexual partner).

You can understand why humans have wanted to make life safer, to reduce the risks and the scary things of life. Rounding off all the sharp edges. But now it means we all live depressing lives, in a little office cubicle, starved of any chance to prove ourselves, to get physically strong, to get mentally strong.
>>
What do you get out of trolling /adv/? This is obviously not a serious thread.
Unless what >>17184982 said is true and you're indeed on the autism spectrum, and you for whatever reason need some kind of reassurance that people agree with your ideas.
>>
>>17184972
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC7MyPiI5Mo
>>
>>17185094
Why do you think I'm trolling? I'm telling the truth. I'm telling life how it is, despite the fact that people constantly deny it these days.

Read this post: >>17185093

>>17185095
I don't know what that is but I'm not watching it
>>
>>17185097
Because what you're saying looks like trolling. Also making cuck jokes, and whining about sjws or whatnot doesn't help your case or make you look like you made a serious thread.

You started this thread just basically saying "this is my view of depression, please agree with me!". You basically begged for validation of your view of a mental illness, and society today. You have a specific view on a subject and you just wanted to hear that you're not alone in your thoughts, which ironically is a thing that many people with depression do.
>>
Please merciful Father above wipe this loathsome faggot's thread from the earth.
>>
>>17185093
Misery creates hopelessness and a sense of lack of purpose. When you have something worthwhile to fight for, that reduces depression, you are right, but that's not misery. Misery is when people get hopeless. When they don't know what to do either because of a lack of goals or a lack of means to achieve a valid goal. Example: Russia. A lot of people are alcoholics because they are depressed. Why? Because of oppression, injustice, and corruption and a lack of means to turn things around.
>>
File: world-war-2.png (1 MB, 1180x1180) Image search: [Google]
world-war-2.png
1 MB, 1180x1180
>>17185117
>making cuck jokes, and whining about sjws
But that's exactly what these people are and they don't seem to understand it

>You started this thread just basically saying "this is my view of depression, please agree with me!"
Yes, I wanted to see how many people with sense there are. Thankfully a couple of shown themselves. It is depressing how few though.

>ironically is a thing that many people with depression do.
Wow, such a clever guy, wow, so clever

>>17185118
What's loathsome about it, faggot?

>>17185120
>Misery creates hopelessness and a sense of lack of purpose.
No it doesn't, it creates strong people. Did the Allied soldiers of WWII roll over and cry because their cities were bombed and their food was rationed? No, they FOUGHT. They fought until they defeated Hitler.
>>
>>17185136
So you basically just want to here your own opinions repeated back to you?
>>
>>17184972
Indulging your laziness when you're feeling sad may be weakness.

But true depression is not just "feeling sad". It is unbearably worse, and not a thing anyone would choose over hard work.

Proof that depression is a medical condition lies in the fact that certain medicines can, if not "cure" it, at least reduce its severity to functionable level.

OP - the greatest gift I can offer you is the hope that you never experience true depression.
>>
>>17185136
As I said that is not misery, that is a struggle. People had a visible enemy that they could fight. Give men hope and dreams and a goal and he will fight for it; take them away from him and his life will be misery. Again, example: Russia during the Second World War endured enormous losses both in population and in wealth. They had a goal to fight, so they fought.
>>
>>17184972
I'm depressed and i still go to work, still pay my bills, and still function in society. It's amazing how hard a depressed person will work when the alternative is the street. You seldom see a person homeless long-term due to 'depression'. Most of these punk depressed kids just need to be given an ultimatum and thrown out of mommy and daddy's house. That's how i got my shit together. Spent a month sleeping in my car for it.

I still spend most weekends and afternoons in bed feeling like shit though despite it all.
>>
>>17184993
Legit retarded
Not even funny
>>
>>17185155
Exactly!
Just because I have depression doesn't mean I do literally nothing and incapable of anything. Life doesn't give handouts, so you don't have much other choice than to go get a job, pay your bills and deal with life.
>>
File: image.jpg (132 KB, 739x849) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132 KB, 739x849
>LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK KEK!

If you're going to give obvious shitposters (You)s, have the sense to sage.
>>
>>17185144
I'm trying to see how many people acknowledge the truth. Because at the end of the day there is an objective truth to this, as true as the fact that the grass is green. There is a truth to human nature.

>>17185153
>Proof that depression is a medical condition lies in the fact that certain medicines can, if not "cure" it, at least reduce its severity to functionable level.
That's not proof in the slightest you utter, utter moron. Alcohol makes you dizzy and unfocussed. Does that mean that a sober mind is a "medical condition"? By your argument, it does.
>the true depression meem
Mate I've been pretty down, although I know people personally who have had it worse than me. But it's just different degrees of the same emotion that we all experience. And the fact is that if you were a strong person, you wouldn't fall into that mess. Guess what - not every human is meant to survive. Just like the runt of the elephant litter that is kicked aside to die by its herd. Some animals, humans included, are born weak. That's how it is unfortunately.
>>
I have depression and PTSD and I cannot go to work. It is not that I am incapable of work in and of itself, it is that the symptoms of my depression and PTSD means that the employes have to treat me as a "special case" and make it difficult for everyone else to work alongside me.

>Think about those who fought in the war, did they complain about "being depressed"?
Yes, people in the war have had mental breakdowns, and yes, they were quickly removed from the ranks as they were a danger to themselves and others. You do NOT want a depressed person who no longer cares about life next to life-ending equipment.

You know in Full Metal Jacket, where Pyle had a complete mental breakdown? That's not some fictional account made out of whole cloth. Rambo is in its entirety the story of a man with PTSD. These are characterizations cobbled together with hundreds of known cases.

>anger and frustration with their position in the world, and instead just cops out with "oh I'm depressed", then they don't fight to change things, or have emotional outbursts like getting in fights or whatever
I think you have a very misguided idea of what depression does. Depressed people, depending on their basic personality makeup, can be very angry, violent and resistant. The medication make these people compliant because otherwise they will go around shooting up schools and malls and crashing cars into things because you're fucking depressed, you see no value with life and the world, and you no longer give a fuck.

The ones that go "oh, I am too depressed to do anything"? Thankfully, they're the ones that have a more internalizing personality. They will most likely only suicide.

Your entire OP post sounds like some fuckwit who read Fight Club for the first time. What's next for you OP, reading Ayn Rand for the first time and being an asshole to everyone?
>>
>>17185212
The fact that you have gone through that shit and still think that my post is that of a "fuckwit" shows how much of a fucking idiot you are
>Depressed people, depending on their basic personality makeup, can be very angry, violent and resistant. The medication make these people compliant because otherwise they will go around shooting up schools and malls and crashing cars into things because you're fucking depressed, you see no value with life and the world, and you no longer give a fuck.
You are proving the exact point that I made. Society these days wants to enforce the idea that "depression" is somehow outside of your control so they can give you a happy pill so that you won't disturb other people. It's like lobotomisation that took place in the 60s.
>>
>>17185236
You really think it's awful that big bad society doesn't want you being shot up while you are shopping or while your kids are being dropped off and picked up from school. How terrible of society.

Telling a depressed person to suck it up and pretend to be happy (which is exactly what you are saying), if anything, is worse than giving people medication to better control their symptoms. You know, Scientologists did that. They ended up killing people.

Thank fuck you're not a doctor, OP, imagine what your practice must be like:
>Oh you have pneumonia? Stop coughing you're just being weak
>Oh you have third degree burns all over your legs? Well put your clothes back on and go to work
>>
>>17185267
>You really think it's awful that big bad society doesn't want you being shot up while you are shopping or while your kids are being dropped off and picked up from school. How terrible of society.
Yeah I do. The solution to problems used to be "toughen up, become stronger, and deal with it". And that is still the correct solution. Now society says "be a soft faggot, be a weak person, take this chemical lobotomisation instead".
>Telling a depressed person to suck it up and pretend to be happy (which is exactly what you are saying)
That's exactly NOT what I'm saying and it shows how stupid you are. I am saying BECOME TOUGHER. Find a way to deal with your fucking issue. If your boss is giving you a hard time, stand up to them. If somebody is bullying you, fight them, and win. That's what I'm saying. To weak to do that stuff? Lie in your bed, because you made it.
>>
>>17185267
Just to completely clarify that point because you don't understand it.
>suck it up and pretend to be happy
That is NOT the solution. That is you being too weak and soft to confront your problem head on. What you really need to do is fight, be assertive, be aggressive, but you're not doing it, because you're too scared. So you decide to pretend instead.

You can whinge and whine all you like about how mean that might be, but guess what, life is mean. If you don't fight for your own survival you die, just like in nature.
>>
>>17185236
That's just wrong. Nobody claims that you can get over depression just by taking pills, or that getting better is out of your control. Curing ones depression requires for the change to start within one's mind. Meds may help a bit, but they are always a temporary solution at best. To truly get better, the change must come from within. Psychotherapy may help (like it did in my case) as even just having someone to talk to and help one out in sorting out one's mental issues is a step forward towards healing.

Brain is an organ just like heart and lungs are, and it too can get sick. Depression is an illness of the brain.
>>
>>17184972
LOOK AT ME GUYS I'VE READ SOME INFOGRAPHICS ON /POL AND LOOKED AT INSPIRATIONAL PICTURES FOR AN HOUR AND I TOTALLY FIGURED THE WORLD OUT.

YOU SEE TODAY'S SOCIETY IS BAD AND DOCTORS AND PSYCHOLOGISTS ARE FUCKING MORONS WHO TELL LIES.

OMG SO MUCH LIES AND I'M THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN SEE RIGHT THROUGH THEM!!!!

PLEASE TELL ME I'M SMART!
>>
>>17185297
>Curing ones depression requires for the change to start within one's mind.
Interesting you say "cure" because it's not a disease. It's an emotion. Do you "cure" sadness? Do you "cure" empathy? Bit weird to be honest mate.
>To truly get better
To "get better" you need to grow some fucking balls and quit being a bitch. And again, I don't mean "put on a face and avoid your problems". I mean quit being a whiny beta bitch, man the fuck up, assert your authority on life and start making something of yourself for fuck's sake
>Brain is an organ just like heart and lungs are, and it too can get sick. Depression is an illness of the brain.
I can't engage with this idiocy. Please just murder yourself for spreading these delusions. As we already seem to have agreed, there is a REASON why this narrative is told, and it's because other people want you to sit down, shut up, and be chemically lobotomised so you don't disturb them.
>>
>>17185299
Enjoy being a cuck, I bet your girlfriend loves being fucked by stronger men
>>
>>17185283
>The solution to problems used to be "toughen up, become stronger, and deal with it".
And that bullshit stopped being the solution to problems because it killed people.
Now, the depressed people not only have to fight their own individual issues, but ignorant dipshits like you who think it's a matter of pulling yourself up by your own goddamn bootstraps.

>That's exactly NOT what I'm saying and it shows how stupid you are. I am saying BECOME TOUGHER
You have already assumed that having a mental health issue makes you "weak", and that you look down and sneer upon them for being "weaker" than you. That's disgusting.

>If your boss is giving you a hard time, stand up to them.
And get fired and blackballed? Nice. Unions and Employment law specialists exist precisely because "standing up to your boss" is recognised as not-a-thing.

>If somebody is bullying you, fight them, and win
If one person is just beating you up, it's not bullying by definition. When someone trips you over and rips up all your notebooks, and the entire fucking class sniggers at it, all ready to gang up on you and beat you up if you tried to fight it back, that's bullying. While we are at it, I guess all rape victims deserve their rape because they couldn't fight and win against their rapists too?

By your own bullshit logic, anyone who is "stronger" can just shit on everyone else because it's their fault for being "weaker" and that is somehow just and fair. We have laws, manners, social etiquette, ethics and morality exactly so that these things don't happen because nothing gets done when everyone is jumping on everyone else.

Seriously, fuck you and your hyper-privileged position. Only someone who has never been in a position where they were helpless and weak could blame the weak and helpless. I hope you get your shit ruined by people stronger than you to have another sanctimonious nitwit crow about how you deserved being shat on for being weak.
>>
>>17185311
Have you actually read a book in your life? Or maybe just google depression and read the wikipedia page. I know, I know they are all lies fabricated by the jews or the lizard people but nontheless please just read only the wikipedia article of depression.
You may find some answers if you are man enough to read some sentences. I know it's harder than watching a youtube video on "HOW DOCTORS TRICK YOU INTO BECOMING A PILL-TAKING KEK" but I promise you it's more revarding.
>>
>>17185307
Depression isn't an emotion you moron. It is an illness and no amount of your bitching will change that. Depression is recognized as a mental illness with clearly defined symptoms and changes in brain chemistry, all across the medical world. Your backwards opinions don't mean a thing.
>>
>>17184972
>depression is weakness
Yes. It is. I'm depressed. It makes me function worse. That's the definition of a weakness/flaw.
But I think weakness should be accepted or not accepted at all. Not this in-between shit where I'm ostracized from society but other people who are weak in other ways should somehow be accepted.

But I don't think you're quite understanding what depression is (ignoring how you're practically baiting). It's very hard to deal with. In many cases external factors doesn't seem to be the and in many cases depression is something that throws you down a negative spiral.

>Because it keeps the population pathetic and compliant.
This is hogwash. As much as there's plenty of ways to keep a population out of the loop (there's no real denying we live in a machiavellian society).

Something worth considering:
We're biological creatures. As such our actions are determined by our current state. We process input and provide output. That's all there is.

You can't really rationally 'blame' a conscious actor for being depressed. It's a state that's a consequence (in some predictable or unpredictable way) of the actions the person took. That's something you can blame. The situation of being sad, happy, really any feeling isn't something that's a rationally expressed thing. You can say things that make them stop being so sad or happy. There's influence there.

Dealing with those situations is generally what keeps you in an OK state. Just consider, internally, for one day how things would go if you'd act on every wim. You're far closer to being like a depressed person in that state than ever before most likely. And you might think you're like that when intoxicated. That's really not the case.

I'm sick of therapists. They don't help you because they're not for depressed people. They're for sad people. Sad people with concrete problems they can solve if encouraged. I have everything yet I haven't found joy in over a year.
>>
>>17185333
>I have everything
Should probably specify this.
I have rich parents and no responsibilities aside from what I take upon myself to do. They love me and tell me tat regularly. They ask if they can help me with anything regularly. I've gone to therapists for over 2 years now and I've been on many different meds now. I'm fit (because that's apparently a prerequisite to not being depressed despite the fact that there's plenty of fatties that are). I had a GF but found it a waste of time because neither of us were gaining much from it. She arguably said she did but not really. She's better off with someone else.
I can easily live out my life on the profits from my dads company and even if everything goes way south I live in a country with social security which (according to my calculations) could easily feed and house me without me putting in any effort.

There's nothing bad here. Nothing I can see. I can't solve this.
>>
File: conquer.jpg (334 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
conquer.jpg
334 KB, 1920x1200
>>17185312
>And that bullshit stopped being the solution to problems because it killed people.
No it didn't. Successful men are those that stamped their authority on life, they asserted themselves, they were strong, they were tough, they didn't take any fucking bullshit. That's what I'm telling you to do. But you won't do it because you're a fucking pussy.
>You have already assumed that having a mental health issue makes you "weak", and that you look down and sneer upon them for being "weaker" than you. That's disgusting.
Hahahahahahahaha :D
Your weakness is fucking hilarious
>And get fired and blackballed?
So you admit, you're a fucking dickless pussy
>By your own bullshit logic, anyone who is "stronger" can just shit on everyone else because it's their fault for being "weaker"
It's called life, stop being a dickless faggot and you'll see it for yourself
>>
>>17185331
Why do people do this? Just go on the internet and tell lies?

You are literally a gigantic faggot
>>
>>17185618
You are either
A) Baiting
B) A construction worker or someone without higher education
C) A complete retard (though this fairly coincide with the second option)

But anyway good luck with your life you're gonna need it.
>>
It's kind of fucked but I agree with you man. Being depressed usually comes from living a life of weakness. The problem is that being depressed is more like falling into a swirling drain. It's like this... you lose the ability to feel good about things. You lose the ability to have a positive outlook on things. Your brain chemistry actually changes. You can't think as well. you lose the ability to think ahead, you don't feel good anymore and you can't get excited about shit anymore. Sounds like something you should be able to choose to get rid of right? I know it sounds that way but it really isn't. So yes, it is a logical thing to think of depression as a weakness. It makes sense. But it's not. Interesting point, I was depressed as fuck while in the military until I got to deploy. Being overseas dealing with excitement and danger and other shit actually pulled me out of it. Coming back made me depressed again. Yeah... depression is a really weird fucking thing.
>>
>>17184972
>depression is weakness

Up yours, jackass. You realize that some people have an actual chemical imbalance or other factors that cause it? It would be like telling someone with a broken leg that they're weak because they can't do jumping jacks.

>Think about those who fought in the war
I'm familiar with that concept. PTSD is real too. People are different, they react different to various stressors.
>>
Doctors don't peddle meds to keep people complacent or as a quick fix "happy pill". Every competent mental health professional will prescribe therapy along with them because it's common knowledge that pills alone won't fix depression. They just give you the kickstart you need so you have the energy to get out of bed in the morning, or turn down the negative thought spirals so you can function normally without wanting to kill yourself or other people.

The happy pill concept is a layman misunderstanding of the way depression medication works. They can bring your neurotransmitters back to normal levels, but you still have to go out and do shit to get those molecules flowing.
>>
File: 1454371724692.png (716 KB, 717x536) Image search: [Google]
1454371724692.png
716 KB, 717x536
>>17184972
>>17185052
>>17185075
>>17185097
>>17185136
>>17185204
>>17185311
>>17185618

gr8 b8 m8. You sure got erryone riled up on this one. I give it a 7/10.
>>
>tell /adv/ that depression isn't a real thing
That's some great bait.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.