[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ethics of suicide
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 1464141109695.png (645 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1464141109695.png
645 KB, 1000x1000
Should we really discourage people from committing suicide? Like the terminally ill and the ones who are endlessly depressed. I'm writing a long ass report on suicide and 4chan has some really interesting perspectives, so please give me some imput
>>
Life finds a way.

If people want to die, let them die. If they find a reason to live, let them live
>>
>>17179792
But is it worth trying to convince someone to go on, because after someone attempts a suicide, they usually still want to die.
>>
File: 1387775713781.jpg (61 KB, 750x540) Image search: [Google]
1387775713781.jpg
61 KB, 750x540
>>17179786

>Should we really discourage people from committing suicide?

Depression is curable. Terminal illnesses aren't.

I neither condone nor discourage suicide, I just do my best to tell the truth and let the reality of the situation represent itself. If the truth is that suicidal feelings could be corrected with medication and therapy I'll say so.

The argument between killing yourself because of a curable illness and an incurable one is vastly different.
>>
>>17179806
idk dude, I've been depressed for a long time,i've been passed around from medication to medication like a white girl at a mandingo party, shit sucks dude
>>
Yes, we should. Suicide is a matter of mindfucking yourself imo. Repeating patterns of inner hatred which never get adressed until the act is done
But those patterns have root causes and are false beliefs which can be adressed by proper cognitive behavorial therapy & assistance & love & not 4chan
Suicide is overall taking away the pain
cuz "there's no other way"
but I think there's always a way
one just needs to want it bad enough
just like killing yourself is wanting it bad enough
its self hypnosis
>>
>>17179786
In my opinion, people with terminal illnesses should be allowed to end it on their terms. If I had Huntington's, for example, I would make plans to do so.

Depressed people should be discouraged from it because it's usually treatable, and it's a goddamn shame for anyone to die of a treatable illness, whether it's mental or physical.

>>17179800
>after someone attempts a suicide, they usually still want to die.
This isn't true. Look at the statistics, most people after a suicide attempt change their minds.
That's because the ones who are sure about it don't attempt suicide.
They commit suicide.

>>17179806
>Depression is curable.
Only in most cases. Ever heard of treatment-resistant depression?
Some people, myself included, are waiting for new treatments to be tested and brought to market in the hopes that they might help.

>>17180031
>which can be adressed by proper cognitive behavorial therapy
This isn't a magic bullet, any more than meditation or medication or magnets or anything else.
CBT is effective, but not dramatically so. Even compared to SSRIs (not to mention placebo).
>>
>>17179786
My opinion on suicide is a controversial one (I think). To answer your question as written, yes, I believe we should discourage non-terminally ill people from committing suicide (leave it completely up to them in that case).

For not terminal cases, it should absolutely be discouraged, but I believe actively forcing them to not go through with it is immoral, especially through methods like restricting access to means and other suicide watch-type things. I feel that completely undermines their basic rights and probably will just make them want to do it more since even more control has been taken away from their lives: a common reason for wanting to commit suicide.

It also upsets me somewhat when people say committing suicide is selfish, especially if that person doesn't know the suicidal person's situation. Who the fuck is he/she to make that judgment? I feel like the person calling them selfish are the selfish ones themselves, for imposing their own morality (a "no suicide period" stance) on someone else. I feel like the reality is the other person just doesn't want to be inconvenienced themselves by having to feel bad for having interacted with someone who they knew was suicidal and would later go on to do it.

My parting thought is that I am sympathetic to the plight of people who want to end their own life, and supports, such as psychotherapy and medication should be given as appropriate, but making them not do it is wrong in my opinion.
>>
Watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcSUs9iZv-g
>>
>>17179786
Terminally ill no but depression yes. Depressed people are just normal people with futures except their brains are fucked but still fixable.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.