[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have an appointment for a consultation about surgical sterilization
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: ueBTa.jpg (84 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
ueBTa.jpg
84 KB, 450x600
I have an appointment for a consultation about surgical sterilization next week. As a 21 y/o female, I'm concerned that I'll be heavily discouraged from or even denied sterilization services.

Any ideas/advices are welcome.
>>
If you are willing to pay, they really can't deny you.

Be strong and tell them it is your decision.
>>
>>17175482
sure they can
>>
>>17175487
That seems weird and not logical.

Tell them you have retard genes in your family and you don't want to raise a kid that is completely dependent on the parents and the government to survive.
>>
>>17175482
Of course they can. It's frequently done. Doctors frequently turn women down who are interested in becoming sterile because they believe that she'll 'change her mind' in the future.

>>17175497
That's a silly thing to say.
>>
>>17175478
why do you want to be sterilized in the first place?
>>
>>17175683
the better question here
>>
>>17175683
Hormonal pills, patches, shots, and implants have a slew of nasty side effects including deadly health complications, headaches, and mild to severe mood effects. I'm currently experiencing chronic headaches related to birth control despite having tried multiple kinds. They also have a 9% failure rate, and I have gotten pregnant while on birth control, which was unpleasant to say the least.

Hormonal IUDs have the same side effects, with the added fun of an increased chance of ectopic pregnancy should failure occur, as well as perforation of the uterine wall, general discomfort, increased bleeding and spotting, and your partner being able to feel the string during intercourse. Failure rate 2.2% over 12 years.

The copper IUD has all the negative effects of the hormonal IUD minus the hormonal side effects, and I am also allergic to copper. It also makes periods much heavier and longer.

I am also 100% sure I will never have children or want to have children, for a variety of reasons that I'd be happy to detail if you're interested.
>>
My suggestion, as someone who has done this, is to talk to your doctor very calmly and logically. You don't want to seem emotional or flighty. State your reasons, state your plan, say that you have thought about this extensively and will not change your mind. If they say they won't do it, ask if they know someone else. If they give you shit, just leave. Don't argue or get upset, say you came to seek a service and if they will not provide you will go somewhere else.

To outline what I did, I went to a doctor and said that since I was very young, this was my plan. I outlined it in detail, said that if in the exceedingly unlikely chance I did change my mind, I wanted to adopt since I had always thought about adoption. I was prepared for any question they had. Granted I did have a very understanding doctor but she was much more willing to perform the procedure after realizing this was a calm, planned, rational decision instead of an emotionally driven, hasty, or unconsidered one.
>>
>>17175793
thanks for your post.

i had planned to put extra effort into speaking in a calm, even tone as well as bringing up adoption. if i were to have a kid, id definitely want to adopt because id have the opportunity to help a child who would otherwise maybe have a shitty upbringing.
>>
>>17175767
Maybe consider the implant if pregnancy is your main concern.
Cons: Hormonal
Needs to be replaced every 3 years

Pros: No hassle with doctors denying you
Procedure is much less invasive or risky
Much less expensive
Hormonal side-effects not as severe as pill
More effective at preventing pregnancy than sterilization procedures
>>
>>17175804
I wish more people thought like this.
>>
>>17175821
there are a lot of things about the implant that I do not like and am not okay with

>>17175846
me too :/ there are so many cute little kids that are being abused in DCF/group homes
>>
>>17175846
There are more people in the US who want to adopt than there are children who need adopting. So there are already plenty of people think like that.
>>
>>17175909
>there are a lot of things about the implant that I do not like and am not okay with

Like what?
>>
>>17175911
there are tons of kids who are in 'the system' in temporary homes. that may be true of babies, but there are tons of kids who live in group homes and temporary foster homes. also, the US isn't the only place with children that need adopting. as far as im concerned, the children in other countries are just as important, and theres no shortage of chinese, indian, and african babies.

>>17175915
see
>>17175767
i am just not okay with having something inside me that could come out of place, puncture my uterus, suddenly become painful during sex, or have to be removed in an emergency situation. i also intend to spend extended periods of time in the wilderness in foreign countries and i dont want to have to worry about possibly needing to get it adjusted or removed in some fuckpoor country, or having to get a script filled somewhere. and they have a MUCH higher failure rate than surgical sterilization. i had some really nasty side effects from being pregnant, and would rather not have that happen again.
>>
>>17175942
Even including children in foster homes, there are more couples in the US who want to adopt that children who need homes. The problem isn't people don't want to adopt, it's that our own system as well as other countries make it hard or impossible to.

>they have a MUCH higher failure rate than surgical sterilization
They don't though. You're more likely to have your fallopian tubes reconnect after sterilization than you are to have your implant fail. So the implant really is your best option if not getting pregnant is your main concern.

http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/unintendedpregnancy/pdf/contraceptive_methods_508.pdf

The implant doesn't go in your uterus so there isn't any worry about it affecting sex or perforating your uterus, and you don't need a script filled. It's basically like sterilization for three years, you're just trading risk of hormonal effects for less risk of pregnancy. I understand where you're coming from, but just be prepared that doctors will probably have this same conversation.
>>
>>17175966
actual failure rates of IUDs are much higher than are reported by the companies that sell them and have an interest in manipulating that number. the actual failure percentage is closer to 4-5
>>
>>17176105
Source?
>>
>>17176110
The statistics reflect a 'true failure', meaning that the device was correctly positioned and still failed. This number doesn't include the times when the device shifted out of position, which resulted in pregnancy. IMO both cases should be included in the overall percentage, as they're both a failure in birth control. Several smaller (30-200 patients) clinical studies have indicated actual rates of failure are between three and nine percent.
>>
>>17176140
Still, source(s)? And the implant isn't an IUD anyhow.
>>
>>17176159
noone is talking about implants

and do your own research
>>>google.com
>>
>>17176212
...wut. You replied to someone talking only about the implant. Also, you don't sound very credible when you're the one bringing up assertions and then telling people to do their own research when they simply ask for a source.

I sincerely hope you're not OP and that's the kind of attitude and knowledge you have going into your consultation.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.