[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are you born with intelligence or can it be acquired?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1411432006773.jpg (26 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
1411432006773.jpg
26 KB, 400x267
Is intelligence something you're born with or is it something that can be obtained through handwork and dedication?

Intelligence is kind of broad. I'm not even sure how exactly I'd define it. I suppose the following traits sort of make up my definition of intelligence
>Quick learning
>Natural tendency to get things from the beginning
>Cleverness or quick-wittedness in situations
>Able to understand complex and abstract ideas

Those are sort of general broad traits, more specific ones like advanced understanding of academics like math, science, literature, art, etc.

Is a person simply born with a natural tendency to excel at things? Can it be learned? Is it simply just a series of seemingly arbitrary things presented to a person in a specific order or way that clicks in the person's head that enables the "smartness" to kick in?
>>
>>17172899
i think their is innate intelligence, but i mean, after studying law the way i think has is drastically different and i can run circles around most people in arguments

study logic/law
>>
>>17172899
anything can be acquired if you are willing/able to pay its price
>>
You know, I don't know why people come to /adv/ to ask any random questions that cross their mind. OP, did you actually need assistance with something? No? Then there's a board for your random 'hmm... I wonder' questions.

>>>/his/

Saged.
>>
Psychology major here with a dad who lectures in intelligence.

In psychological sciences there is no fixed definition for intelligence, but most modern day psychologists agree that intelligence is defined culturally, and relates to abilities relating to problem solving, memory, reaction times, and a number of other components that usually correlate highly with academic performance.

IQ is a measure of intelligence that remains constant throughout a persons life time. That is to say, if you have an IQ of 112 at age 20, you will still have the same IQ at age 40. However, IQ is just your intelligence relative to other people your age. This means although your brain will develop over time, you will always remain roughly the same amount more or less intelligent than the general population.

However, unless your intelligence is exceptionally low then it is not something that will hinder you. Intelligence is independent from knowledge. Intelligent people may be more capable of quickly absorbing knowledge, but anyone with an average level of intelligence can learn to understand something if given long enough.

In-born intelligence is more like a range for how a person will perform in life. Whether or not you achieve the maximum amount of possible performance is relative to your effort/motivation. Basically, yeah, some people are born with the ability to absorb knowledge faster than others, but in the long run less intelligent people can achieve the same things with enough effort.
>>
Other than having natural aptitudes, no.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.