[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is more important, major or college?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
I'm currently a community college student who is planning to transfer to a 4-year university for an engineering degree.

Currently, my options are
>UC San Diego for nano engineering
>UC Irvine for mechanical engineering

UCSD is a much better school in terms of their engineering program as a whole(17th vs 37th ranked engineering program in US). They also get a lot more funding for projects/research and the location probably provides more internship/networking opportunities.
On the other hand, I hear that chemical engineering(same department as nanoengineering) is hard as fuck, and the degree seems like it'll be in such a niche field that it would make it hard to get a starter position without graduate degree.

Mechanical engineering is what I originally intended because it seemed like it had more career opportunities, but I'm perfectly okay with another degree as long as I end up with a marketable degree.

Can any current engineering student or people working in the workforce help me with this decision?
>>
>he fell for the college meme
>>
>>17164829
>he fell for the 'he fell for the college meme' meme
>>
>>17164801
Rankings aren't that big of a deal unless you're in a top 10 school. You need to decide for yourself which one you're more passionate about. If you're not passionate about the field you wont excel and eventually you'll hate it

>>17164829
enjoy being a NEET for the rest of your life
>>
>>17164801
go to the less expensive one that has a ABET accreditation
>>
>>17164801
Nowhere in your post did you mention what you're actually interested in studying. Which engineering field(s) do you think you are most interested in for their content?
>>
>>17164829
Good luck supporting yourself on half I'll make in two years. :)
>inb4 crippling debt
Nope, I don't go to a shit school. I'll leave with only 5000 dollars of debt.
>>
>>17164914
Well, UCSD's nanoengineering program is rather new and doesn't have ABET credential yet, so that's less incentive for UCSD.

>>17164881
>>17164978
>do what you like
That's a pretty difficult question to answer when I've only taken the pre-requisite courses.
Nanoengineering sounds really cool, but I don't really know much about what the actual career/education will be about.
I wasn't a fan of my chemistry courses, so mechanical engineering might be the better choice nanoengineering being in the same department with ChemE.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.