[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Choosing A Place to Live
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: prettylame.jpg (13 KB, 480x269) Image search: [Google]
prettylame.jpg
13 KB, 480x269
Hello /adv/,

I've resolved to move out soon and have been pouring through online apartment listings for the past few months. I had various generic questions that I hope you could help me with.

First off, what are additional methods to searching for an apartment? I'm not sure if online listings are the most reliable. I'd like to spread my reach to whatever is available.

Speaking of reliability, is there any way to find out how legit some of these online apartment reviews are? Frankly I'm terrified because just about everything in my price range has a poor review average.

Lastly, are condo rentals a good alternative? I imagine there would be more rules and fees associated with renting one of those out.

Would appreciate any relevant help!
>>
>>17147768
Have you checked local newspapers, community center bulletin boards, or called any apartment buildings in your area for vacancies? Some real estate offices also have apartments listed for rent, but then you risk additional fees, so I would try calling places on my own before going that root. Hope that this is helpful! GL!
>>
Dear op.

Unless you have a strong job and decent income, you're not going to afford living solo. You'll be renting a room somewhere. Given that, here are some rules of thumb to go by

Same sex
No pets
No drugs
Always ask for references
Always scope the joint out an hour beforehand
Always scope the neighborhood beforehand
Don't rent with people who have small kids or kids in general
Don't rent with someone who is also renting for the first time
Don't rent from a social introvert.
Use craigslist sparingly.
Use apartment finder or roommate finder websites, but always crossreference .
Make sure you get put on the lease so you legally establish residency.
Be wary of short term sublets.
Pay your share of rent and bills using money orders made out to the utilities or rental agencies, never give the person cash.

There's a lot more, but these cover the basics
>>
>>17148844
why not rent from a social introvert?
>>
>>17149129
Possessive attitude and clingy behaviour. More likely to be messy. Also, higher chance of just being batshit crazy to one degree or another.
>>
Craigslist, facebook, classified ads especially online ones. Most sites are scams otherwise. If you live in a big city there are some city-specific aps, esp for nyc. Any site that makes you pay to read messages is a scam by the way. If you're already in the area, bike around and look for "for rent" signs, but not every place puts them up since it's all online now. Also never be afraid to call and ask someone. People respond better on the phone than through email because it adds humanity and forms a connection.

>>17148844
>You'll be renting a room somewhere.

This. shit's expensive. Also get everything in writing. Rented a room once without a lease, month to month cash deal. Bitch tried to say she could do whatever she wanted to me, like throw my shit out on the curb or forbid me from locking my door or using the kitchen, because no lease. I had to call the cops on her.

If you see anything from roomster, or anything insanely cheap, it's a scam.

>Pay your share of rent and bills using money orders made out to the utilities or rental agencies, never give the person cash.

I always use check so I have record of payment. If you give someone cash they can turn around and say you didn't pay 'em. I can even pull up images of my paid checks on my phone as proof.

>Don't rent with people who have small kids or kids in general

So much this.

That said, roommates are a huge positive resource. Socializing, exchanging items or favors, ride sharing, helping each other out. My housemates pay me to write their papers for them or give them rides. And if there's a problem like something breaks you have someone around who has your back. And I'm an introvert, so saying this you know I'm serious. Only qualm is other people can be loud and dirty, but hey so can apartment neighbors.

Never fuck your housemate.
>>
>living solo is too expensive

Absolutely not, unless you want to live in jew York or L.A. Or any other megacity.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.