[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
College /adv/ thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 1459499449822.jpg (27 KB, 236x336) Image search: [Google]
1459499449822.jpg
27 KB, 236x336
Hey /adv/ I need some help with someone with experience. I want to become a software engineer, but I want to major in mathematics. Is there a way that I can stand out and compete in the work field? Or should I just major in CS like everyone else.
>>
>>17146067
Why not double mayor in them?
>>
>>17146100
I was considering that, but I really want to know the chance to get into the tech field with just a mathematics degree.
>>
>>17146132
High, at least the serious companies would rather have you have a maths degree than a CS degree. You can learn programming in a couple of months. But you can't learn to be smart, Analytic and mathematical in a month. In my country, as long as you're in a registered study and follow your own curriculum you can go to random subjects and complete them. Did this with a chemistry subject I found interesting (I'm doing astronomy). Do that with CS classes you deem important.
>>
>>17146167
Thanks, this is really helpful
>>
>>17146186
No problem, almost everyone with a masters in math gets a job before they graduate, just make sure to keep learning programming, shouldn't be too hard for a maths major, also during maths you'll probably also learn languages like Haskell, maths and CS are pretty related
>>
>>17146261
So would getting an internship in CS/E be relatively easy?
>>
>>17146453
As in an internship for a CS related job?
>>
>>17146559
Yeah.
>>
>>17146597
Tbh mate I wouldn't have the slightest clue about internships, internships suck anyway, just search for a job, the need for Smart technical people is high. But it would guess, having a maths masters and programming experience will probably get you an internship just about anywhere
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.