[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone have any tips on how to study if you're depressed?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: johniskill.jpg (56 KB, 747x687) Image search: [Google]
johniskill.jpg
56 KB, 747x687
Anyone have any tips on how to study if you're depressed?

I struggled with depression years ago and have noticed it slowly creeping back recently, just in time for my university exams. Some days are fine and others I feel trapped in a cycle of not revising, contemplating how little I've done and feeling guilty, which just makes it even harder to do anything productive.

Any idea on the best course of action??
>>
Iktfb, the last thing you want to do when you're depressed is–well, anything really. Everything feels like it takes too much energy to accomplish, and you feel guilty when you procrastinate, so you trap yourself in a vicious cycle.

Unfortunately I don't really have a solid solution for this, but if it'll help I'll tell you what has worked for me.

-Take breaks; short 15 minute breaks every hour.

-Force yourself to commit to at least 10 minutes of work. If that time passes and you want to stop, then you can stop. But at least you'll have accomplished something, and best case scenario you'll feel motivated to continue working.

-Reward yourself at the end of the day. Don't punish yourself for not accomplishing enough, you'll just feel guilty and it will kill your motivation. Be proud of what you've done. Whether this reward is a beer, your favorite show, or extra (much-needed) sleep, it'll help alleviate stress and keep you sane.

I have more tips if you'd like to hear them. Good luck with your exams bro, you can do it.
>>
>>17143018

Thanks for the tips man, think I'd be lucky if I could work for 15 minutes every hour though! I've been trying to work in short bursts but I'll write a few words and then suddenly snap back to reality and realise I've been staring blankly for who knows how long.

Just seems to be a bit of a gamble if it will be a motivated day or not at the minute.

Thanks for the help, any extra ideas would also be gratefully received.
>>
>>17143061
>I'll write a few words and then suddenly snap back to reality and realise I've been staring blankly for who knows how long.

Are you me? Really though, it's so easy to just distract yourself from your work. Even staring at a wall is more appealing than forcing yourself to study. I catch myself in an almost catatonic state at times.

To keep myself interested in my work, I'd turn it into a game. If there was something I've been eyeing for a while, something stupid on amazon or a video game I've been wanting to play, I'd drop a dollar in a jar every time I hit a milestone with my work. Watching the jar slowly grow helped motivate me to continue and reach my goal.
>>
>>17143095
That's exactly it, strange isn't it? Knowing you have to work and yet staring at my wall for half an hour is of course what I should be doing now!

That's a good idea I haven't thought of yet, just a shame I haven't got too much time left now or I think that could really benefit me.
>>
>>17143115
Ah man, how much time do you have? Deadlines make everything so much more stressful, I know. Almost feels like unnecessary pressure.
>>
>>17142991
I have a pretty unique mix of ADHD and chronic depression, I found medicating the former made the latter easier to deal with. Prescription amphetamines like aderal and especially Vyvance help immensely with being productive, energetic and extroverted
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.