[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I read books and quit playing video games altogether?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 640x227) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 640x227
Should I read books and quit playing video games altogether? Not sure what to do.
>>
>>17134494
there's nothing wrong with an occasional game. I recently cut way back on video games and I'm working on self improvement now.
>>
>>17134505
I want to be living the literary life, and playing video games is hindering me from doing so. The problem is actually quitting games. The last game I beat was Dark Souls 3, but now I'm into the Final Fantasy series. I just want to stop playing video games, but it's tough.
>>
>>17134513
Sounds like you don't want to quit playing game to me
>>
>>17134525
No shit? Motherfucker, just give me some advice fucker!! I want to be an e/lit/ist, you fucktard!
>>
File: ozymandias.jpg (50 KB, 300x495) Image search: [Google]
ozymandias.jpg
50 KB, 300x495
>>17134534
Sell your game systems, read The Great Gatsby
>>
>>17134494
I haven't been a serious gamer for a while. What helped me was go to college and be poor. Can't play games if you don't have the time or money. And since I never bothered to get a current gen console, there's even less incentive to buy games.

If you're going to start reading, I'd start with something you are absolutely fascinated with. Believe me, you have time. You don't need to dive into the classics right away.

It doesn't matter what you're interested in. Find it, and read about it. When I first started reading, I never planned on reading fiction. I wanted to stick to music theory texts. One thing led to another, and now I've got a stack of fiction just waiting to be read on my desk right now.
>>
I mean, video is sort of a waste of time. But honestly, reading is as well unless you are reading manuals or text books.

But reading is way better for your mind
>>
File: image.jpg (323 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
323 KB, 1920x1080
>>17134599
OP here. I want to quit video games because I just don't think girls are attracted to that. I'd rather be a well-read feminine boy (I'm currently transitioning to become female, though).
>>
>>17134612
Is this for fucking self improvement or getting laid.
>>
>>17134623
No, I just want to appear like a bookworm pseudointellectual living the literary lifestyle. Don't really care about getting laid. I dress well and look fairly attractive and I'm decently intelligent. I want to be the person who's always reading something, though.
>>
>>17134599
>But honestly, reading is as well unless you are reading manuals or text books.
That's kind of a shitty attitude to have. There are plenty of books that are filled with life-enriching ideas and emotional journeys. Just because a book doesn't serve an immediate, utilitarian, purpose doesn't mean it's a waste of time.
>>
File: 017.jpg (68 KB, 720x479) Image search: [Google]
017.jpg
68 KB, 720x479
>>17134630
just don't play them

you paint your relationship as an addiction
so go cold turkey
distance yourself from them materially
your emotions can benefit from taking a break
>>
>>17134630
What? No. Reading can enrich your life. Do this for yourself. Don't do this to change how others perceive you. That's high school tier bullshit.
>>
>>17134642
I mean, to be honest with you, I spend most of my time on 4chan instead of playing games. But I'm usually on boards about video games, so... It's not exactly helping me.

>>17134643
Of course, of course. It's just that I've been playing video games for far too long and I have very little skills to show from it. I'd rather be addicted to reading, instead.
>>
File: 009.jpg (36 KB, 720x479) Image search: [Google]
009.jpg
36 KB, 720x479
>>17134643
maybe they never went to high school

you can't force someone to learn
we make mistakes to understand our lives

blindly taking advice to guide them will net you an understanding of why blindly taking advice is bad
and bonus perspective if the person can be open minded
>>
File: 1461895799970.jpg (28 KB, 821x843) Image search: [Google]
1461895799970.jpg
28 KB, 821x843
>>17134494
Instead of asking 4chan why not just do it?
>>
File: bilobaaa.jpg (124 KB, 960x617) Image search: [Google]
bilobaaa.jpg
124 KB, 960x617
>>17134660
if you aren't conflicted about what you want then block 4chan

if you're hesitating and feel doubt at all, rethink what it is you actually want by introducing what matters to you into the situation
and then sail from there
>>
What's your goal in reading? If it's literacy skills, you can just read articles on the internet. You can just read posts on 4chan. I know that we often thinking of serious reading as engaging with a physical text, but as internet users, we interact with reading more than we usually think. I'm sure that your video games have some text in them as well.
>>
>>17135300
I want to appear smart with a book in my hand. I want people to think, "Wow, this guy reads! He must be very smart!"
>>
File: mfwbunker.jpg (67 KB, 599x313) Image search: [Google]
mfwbunker.jpg
67 KB, 599x313
>>17135410
Buddy, if you don't have an actual interest in reading, you're not going anywhere with this. There are ways to gain appreciation and respect from others without attempting to be some sort of pseudo-intellectual. That said, if you really want to read stuff, then just fucking read stuff. Read what interests you. I'm currently re-reading Grand New Party, basically a rough blueprint for the GOP that was written back in 2008. That might not be your cup of tea, so find something that is if you really desperately want to read.

As for your problem with videogames, just start weaning yourself off. Set a max number of hours to play. This is really just a matter of discipline.
>>
>>17134630
>wants to read to APPEAR literate
Breh, just say you read, continue playing vidya.
>>17135410
Nothing smart about reading. Just a lot of things dumb about not reading.
People that don't read are still pretty stuck in the dark ages.
>>
File: 4L_BKANup7N.png (903 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
4L_BKANup7N.png
903 KB, 640x1136
Guess it's true, what they say. If you don't love books you never will.

Childhood is a curious time and books are amazing and bound only by your imagination. Small imagination --> don't rape books --> fear of books forever.

Also, fyi, reading books with social image in mind is pretty pathetic. Gettit?

Litist out.
>>
>>17135438
Do you think reading will make girls yet? Girls are into feminine boys who read, right? In a year, I'll probably be girly as fuck, so I'm not sure if I can always look like a feminine boy. I'll end up looking like a cute girl instead.
>>
>>17135469
Wet*
>>
>>17135469
There's girls who like sensitive guys if that's what you're asking. But any qt 3.14 bookworm worth her salt will see through your bullshit. If you don't like reading, just fuck off and find a hobby that you can become proud of and you have a genuine interest in. Clearly videogames aren't doing it for you. And books sure as hell don't matter to you other than getting your dick wet. So go be a genuine human being and find something worth caring about. Girls like guys who are passionate about things. That's what impresses people.
>>
>>17135481
I'm good at dressing well, but that's about it. I really don't have that many hobbies due to depression and gender dysphoria. The thing is, I want to read not just to get my dick wet, but also because I think reading is very cool, too. However, I'm a slow reader and I find it difficult to start a book. When I do manage to start a book, I find it easy to really get into it.

I want to read, but I lack the drive to do so. It's not entirely about being a pseud or impressing people. Not 100%, anyway. But I want to read to better myself as a person and be more cultured.

The last book I read was Lolita. Great prose, by the way.
>>
>>17135469
>reading
>feminine
Reading is ubiquitous man.
I'm a manly guy that lifts and I read a lot.
Though, there do seem to be (sadly) only 2 'groups' that read.
Dumb fucks with an IQ < 90 that read all those books on how to be a super saiyan superman telekinesis master - and shit like twilight, hunger games etc. and People with an IQ > 115 that read genuinely interesting books.
Why do 'normal' people hate books so much? Why are they always going on about how much they hate reading?
I seriously don't get it.
>>
>>17135567
Are you talking about comics and manga? I don't really read them, but I do enjoy reading Berserk. That's about it, though.

People brag about not reading because it's easier for them to go on their phones all day, circle jerking about who knows what. Meh.

I'm a pretty feminine boy. Can't wait for the hormones to make me girly! How do you feel about people like me? I'd like to read the words of a manly man himself.
>>
>>17135567
>Why do 'normal' people hate books so much?

(Excluding those with learning disorders)
Those aren't normal people anon, those are dumb people.
>>
>>17135596
I'm talking about fucking books.
I don't consider comics and manga reading. It's basically anime without the animation and VAs.

I am disgusted by transgender people. Not because they 'feel that they are in a different body', but because they're so fucking weak they can't accept who they were born as, and desperately try to change what they are.
Visually, some trans girls are even fucking passable - if it wasn't for the dick, not into dicks - but the psychological aspect of it just disgusts me.
Probably not what you wanted to hear, but that's the reason most people (that are not cancerous PC SJWs) dislike transgender people.

Also, stop fucking wanting to read just to alter your appearance to other people.
Do whatever the fuck you like, whenever you like it. If you like to play vidya, then fucking play vidya.
There's months where I don't read a single page and play vidya.
There's months where I don't work out because I don't feel like it.
There's months where I'm just lying in bed reading all day
There's months where I'm obsessed with learning more, thinking all that learning stuff is fucking neat, but there are also months where it's the contrary.

Basically, do whatever the fuck you want, be comfortable with yourself fully, don't worry about your appearance to other people. Once you did that, you'll become comfy with everything.
>>
>>17135622
No, I'm talking about IQ 90-115 people, as in, most of the population, the definition of average.
I remember back in school, nearly everyone was bummered the fuck out when we had to read an easy to read 100 page book I read in an hour during class for school.
They also read so extremely slowly, what the fuck.
I'm pretty sure stuff like netflix, radio shit, tv, 9fag and all that shit caused reading to die a lot because people are too fucking lazy to even move their eyes.
>>
>>17134494
Why don't you just do both.

Play video games while you've got energy. They're engaging and require some level of focus.

Read a book while you're winding down for bed. They're engaging but require a different kind of focus. I find that I can hardly sleep without reading a few chapters of a book first.
>>
>>17135647
Nah, this isn't normal, this is stupid, despite what their IQ may say. Or maybe they're strong in math but weak in English and it balances out. I'm sorry that you've been around so many Neanderthals that you've come to see this as normal. Now I feel lucky that I grew up with family and several friends who love to read.
>>
>>17134494
Why not spare two hours on reading?
>>
here you go op. i found a book about your future enjoy!

http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/AFSP-Williams-Suicide-Report-Final.pdf
>>
Cut games cold turkey and jump headfirst into the literary lifestyle. You'll thank me five years from now.
>>
Sell your physical copies and change your steam password to a buttonmash that you can't remember. If your computer is a gaming computer, sell it. Buy some books. Jump headfirst, start with the best. Start with the greeks, they knew how to live.
>>
>>17134630
Jesus Christ. So you're going to switch sexes and on top of that you want to fake that you're somehow a literary expert. Do you have anything genuine at all bro?
>>
While I think OP is a tool. If someone is seriously considering doing this.

The reason why you play so much video games is because you have nothing else to do. If you find another hobby you slowly start loosing the time to play video games.

I used to game hard and as I went to school I have less and less time to game. I spent 8 months learning French and didn't thave the time to game.

I'm at the point now where I don't even care. Haven't even looked at the next gen consoles. We have a ps4 and and an Xbox one at my place and I haven't even turned them on.

This coming from someone who put like 300 days into runescape accounts.

Get into shape that'll help heaps.
>>
>>17136113
Runescape is really addicting, especially the old school version they have. How did you quit that game specifically? And do you ever feel bad about missing time for exp gains, or do you simply not care about the game anymore?
>>
>>17134630
Can't you just read CliffsNotes and dress up like a pseudointellectual? Why such a big time commitment for something you don't truly care about anyhow?

>>17134631
>There are plenty of books that are filled with life-enriching ideas and emotional journeys.

Coming from someone who spends most of his time reading, this isn't true at all. There is nothing mystical about the literary medium. A good story is a good story, whether it is in a video game, movie, book or TV show. The only thing reading does for sure, is make you more knowledgeable in whatever you are studying, and expand your vocabulary regardless. I read non-fiction primarily, and I would have no problem watching documentaries instead if it would yield the same result.

>>17134643
>Reading can enrich your life.

Extremely overstated. Any (positive) experience can enrich your life. Books have gotten a reputation that they don't really deserve on closer inspection.
>>
File: ok.jpg (68 KB, 431x450) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
68 KB, 431x450
>>17134534
>>
>>17134592
>Can't play games if you don't have the time or money.

This nigga knows.
>>
>>17136624
Ok
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.