[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey moralfags. why you get so mad when someones self centered?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: 9328391_400x4002.jpg (275 KB, 400x349) Image search: [Google]
9328391_400x4002.jpg
275 KB, 400x349
hey moralfags. why you get so mad when someones self centered?
>>
Because human beings are all in this together. We should share knowledge, for example, to help advance the human race.

Even more simply:
Self centered: Helps one person (themselves)
Not self centered: Helps others who in turn help others, thus benefitting countless people

Monkey finds food source. Does not tell other monkeys. Monkey race dies off.

Monkey tells other monkeys about food source. Monkeys prosper.
>>
>>17131987
someone disagreeing with your point of view is no reason to get mad. try again
>>
>>17131991
Point of view? The fuck are you taking about? That's literally what happens. Was the monkey example not simple enough to illustrate it?

It is your duty as a member of a species to advance your species in some way, unless you are too physically and mentally disabled to do so. We would all still be amoebas if this didn't happen. Do you want to be an amoeba?
>>
also i should add. being self centered isnt leading to populations literally starving ding dong. maybe selfishness and greed but being self centered sure isnt the main cause of this. so stop being mad now moralfag?
>>
>>17131999
>>17131987
>Monkey finds food source. Does not tell other monkeys.
>That's literally what happens
no its not. this is selfishness and greed. not self centered. do you need a dictionary?
>>
>>17131991
But thats not a self centered trait through. Everyone is capable of having a different opinion.
>>
>>17132000
If every human being on earth was selfish then yeah, that would happen. I'll not mad at all, just kind of amazed that you exist.
>>
>>17132004
Found one!

>Selfish
adjective
1.devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.
>2.characterized by or manifesting concern or care only for oneself:
selfish motives.

>Self-centered
adjective
1.concerned solely or chiefly with one's own interests, welfare, etc.; engrossed in self; selfish; egotistical.
2.independent, self-sufficient.

The word selfish is literally in the definition of self-centered. Unless you meant meaning number two, in which case you used the term "self-centered" instead of "independent and self-sufficient" to be a troll.
>>
>>17132009
>>17132009
>selfish
hey dumb dumb did you not read the part about DICTIONARY

self·ish
ˈselfiSH/Submit
adjective
(of a person, action, or motive) lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.
"I joined them for selfish reasons"

self-cen·tered
adjective
preoccupied with oneself and one's affairs.
"he's far too self-centered to care what you do"

you example was complete fucking shit and didnt adress what i asked at all.

a more approiate situation would be

monkey finds new bananas and doesnt share them because he's SELFISH and rest of the monkeys die because asshole monkey kept them to himself

the self centered monkey goes to the same banana trees as everyone else. he gets his fair share and goes home. on his way to the trees he sees other little retard monkeys struggling and does nothing because hes too SELF CENTERED to help them because theres technically no rules saying he has to and he knows the chief alpha monkey wont do shit about it.
>>
>>17132027
>>17132023
theres an absolute key difference there

>regardless of others
>lacking consideration for others

now back to my examples here >>17132027
and how this relates

the monkey in your example showed no consideration for the other monkeys because he didnt share his knowledge, to the detriment of the rest of the monkeys

in the more appropriately described example, the monkey whos going about his business within the accepted context isnt necessarily harming the collective group
>>
>>17132027
Way to edit out the first listed aka most frequent usage of the word selfish. As I showed here.>>17132023
Try again. See "being a troll for using the term self-centered instead of self-sufficient and independent".

Your example is no different than mine, you addressed two reasons for the monkey not to share, but the monkey race still dies off. If the monkey showed his rerarded monkey friends where he bananas are, the added nutrients to their diet would advance the intelligence of their race so that future generations will find lots of bananas without being helped. The smart monkey would have lots of smart monkey babies that would inherit his intelligence. But if he does not share, he'll see one day that he's the only monkey left, because the others died of starvation, and he has one to mate with. Whoops.
>>
>>17132049
I meant the most frequent usage of the word "self-centered", not selfish
>>
>>17132049
And 'no one' to mate with. Stupid tiny phone screen.
>>
>>17132049
>Way to edit out the first listed aka most frequent usage of the word selfish
i pulled both definitions from google search, and yours and mine both have the same definitions unless you want to argue over the fucking semantics of the words in the definition

>the added nutrients to their diet would advance the intelligence of their race so that future generations will find lots of bananas without being helped. The smart monkey would have lots of smart monkey babies that would inherit his intelligence

okay so where are all these genius monkeys irl then lmfao holy shit.

also, your VASTLY exaggerating certain points and underexageratting others of my example to suit your argument. in a pack of oh i dont fucking know 20 monkeys, if theres 2 retards who need extra help, and even say, 5 asshole self centered monkeys (WHO ARE DOING THEIR FAIR SHARE BUT NOT MORE BECAUSE THEY ARE SELF CENTERED) the pack is NOT at risk of dying out.
>>
>>17132071
You say
>A pack won't die out if 5 out of 29 are self centered

True. But what I hear is:

>I'm an egomaniac who thinks he is superior to most humans. Why be one of those "helpful" fools when I can reap all the benefits my tribe shares as well as the ones I don't share? Not sharing makes me better than them. Don't try to guilt me into not being a sociopath. Why should I help people when they are ants to me?

How did you come to know nearly everything you know today? Through the passing of knowledge. Aren't you thankful for that?

I agree that this genius monkey argument is hilarious. I blame Antrhopology 101.
>>
Because everyone is selfish and thinks everyone else should sacrifice their own need for them.
>>
>>17132117
This is the cynic's worldview.
>>
>>17131959
Getting mad at something usually comes from a place of misplaced anger which itself finds its source in the persons insecurities/anxiety.
People who "get mad" at self-centered people just lack the necessary ability to detach their view of their own self from others.
This means that they project their own insecurities on these people who are all about improving themselves.
People who tend to be more "balanced" couldn't care less if you're self-centered or not, unless this causes them harm.
So yeah, just ignore them, but always keep in mind that self-centered people come across as "silly" (to say the least) to most people who are in a good place in life.
>>
>>17132105
>>17132105
>I agree that this genius monkey argument is hilarious. I blame Antrhopology 101.
oh god dur my example was fucking stupid i better put the blame on someone else

>You say
>A pack won't die out if 5 out of 29 are self centered

True. But what I hear is:

>I'm an egomaniac who thinks he is superior to most humans. Why be one of those "helpful" fools when I can reap all the benefits my tribe shares as well as the ones I don't share? Not sharing makes me better than them. Don't try to guilt me into not being a sociopath. Why should I help people when they are ants to me?

oh god dur i cant interpret examples properly (much less dictionary definitions) so i better try to deduce some ulterior motive that confirms my bias so my faggy morals dont look retarded.

i hope you arent hoping someone is going to read this and think "hey this guys morals are great i should try this out!"
>>
>>17132127
I wasn't blaming someone else for my example I was making a joke. You know what jokes are right?

You still are ignoring the primary definition of self centered. Here it is again:

Self-centered
adjective
1.concerned solely or chiefly with one's own interests, welfare, etc.; engrossed in self; selfish; egotistical.
2.independent, self-sufficient.

It has the word selfish in it. Egotistical. I acknowledged that your definition was the SECONDARY usage of the term. Being listed second means that it's not the most common usage of the word. The primary one is. But we've gotten par that haven't we?

>oh god dur i cant interpret examples properly (much less dictionary definitions) so i better try to deduce some ulterior motive that confirms my bias so my faggy morals dont look retarded

You...you honestly think anything in this paragraph contributes anything to your argument? You didn't answer my question. Are you thankful for the knowledge you have?

As to your question, chances are slim but you'd be surprised what the power of a well-reasoned argument can do. I'm mostly having fun watching you flail. Perhaps that makes me a little selfish.
>>
>>17132148
>You know what jokes are right?
no what are they

>It has the word selfish in it. Egotistical. I acknowledged that your definition was the SECONDARY usage of the term. Being listed second means that it's not the most common usage of the word. The primary one is. But we've gotten par that haven't we?
fair enough

You...you honestly think anything in this paragraph contributes anything to your argument?
your example was trash to begin with so i offered a more realistic one you countered with "well u know u say this but i think it means this! so take that!" i didnt really need to expand upon my already solid position when yours was failing.

>Are you thankful for the knowledge you have?
fun question. do what degree do i owe appreciation for people simply doing their responsibilities? do i owe all my professors some special thanks even though we agreed that they teach me certain knowledge at a certain rate per credit and grade my assignments while i agree to study enough to learn the material competently? if i watch a youtube video about how to play scales on a guitar do i owe that guy appreciation even though he asked nothing in return? what about the other guy making roughly the same video that i didnt even watch?
>>
>>17132167

>fun question. do what degree do i owe appreciation for people simply doing their responsibilities?
So you agree it is a responsibility of others! Why does this not apply to you?

> do i owe all my professors some special thanks even though we agreed that they teach me certain knowledge at a certain rate per credit and grade my assignments while i agree to study enough to learn the material competently?

Yes, you do. They could choose to spend their days cooped up in a lab or library somewhere but they are taking the time to pass their amazing brains into you.

> if i watch a youtube video about how to play scales on a guitar do i owe that guy appreciation even though he asked nothing in return? what about the other guy making roughly the same video that i didnt even watch?

Yes, you do. And yes. He's doing he world a service, albeit a small one. I sometimes think about the internet and feel amazed that I could use it to learn anything. I have not read the entire internet but I sure do appreciate that it's there.
>>
>>17132185
>>fun question. do what degree do i owe appreciation for people simply doing their responsibilities?
>So you agree it is a responsibility of others! Why does this not apply to you?

i am going off
>self-cen·tered
adjective
preoccupied with oneself and one's affairs.

i see no need to reward someone extra when someone is already structured to compensate for them.

>> do i owe all my professors some special thanks even though we agreed that they teach me certain knowledge at a certain rate per credit and grade my assignments while i agree to study enough to learn the material competently?
>Yes, you do. They could choose to spend their days cooped up in a lab or library somewhere but they are taking the time to pass their amazing brains into you.

we're at impasse. you keep pushing the ego/selfish definition while i keep pushing the acting in ones own interest definition.

stay mad tho im not changing

>> if i watch a youtube video about how to play scales on a guitar do i owe that guy appreciation even though he asked nothing in return? what about the other guy making roughly the same video that i didnt even watch?
>Yes, you do. And yes. He's doing he world a service, albeit a small one. I sometimes think about the internet and feel amazed that I could use it to learn anything. I have not read the entire internet but I sure do appreciate that it's there.
>>
>>17132200
If those who have taught you were YOUR definition of self-cent-ered, you wouldn't know a thing. They would stay at home doing whatever suits them and them alone. Why would it matter to them that you learn anything? Where does teaching you factor into the definition of "preoccupied with oneself and one's affairs"?

Also: Care to explain why you feel such a strong desire to be self-centered? And why those who say you shouldn't be that way bother you? You keep accusing me of being mad, but you seem to be the only one who is. To restate my earlier post, I'm not mad, just amazed that you exist.
>>
>>17132202
>If those who have taught you were YOUR definition of self-cent-ered, you wouldn't know a thing. They would stay at home doing whatever suits them and them alone. Why would it matter to them that you learn anything? Where does teaching you factor into the definition of "preoccupied with oneself and one's affairs"?
not really society has certain expectations that often are compensated for anyways. just because youre interacting and contributing doesnt mean youre doing it completely selflessly. do really think society would function uninterrupted if there were some big announcement that everyones pay is getting cut if half but youre still expected to do the same work because it's 'self centered and bad' not to?

>Also: Care to explain why you feel such a strong desire to be self-centered?
i dont have a desire to be self centered. i already am (as per the defination i continually reference) the issue arises in unwanted interruptions

>And why those who say you shouldn't be that way bother you?
because they are literally bothering me (or at least holding some faggy passive agressive grudge) about it when i owe them nothing

>You keep accusing me of being mad, but you seem to be the only one who is. To restate my earlier post, I'm not mad, just amazed that you exist.

savor it while it lasts because i have to go to the gym in a bit
>>
the problem with being self-centered comes when you try to advise people with advice based on your perspective. clearly it's a problem because there's no other evidence to back up its efficacy. so it also looks arrogant and really.. why don't people like dick heads? It's a very simple question, OP. Don't try to justify being an ass.
>>
>>17132202
op is another narcissistic millennial
moral relativity is one of their handy little tools for being an insufferable cunt stain
>>
>>17131959
nobody likes a self-centered moron
>>
>>17132305
>wwahhh i was born before compoooters were invented so my brain is too slow to argue the merits of my moorraalls (which are subjective to begin wit)
> insufferable cunt stain
i mind my own business and stay focused on my goals so im an insufferable cunt stain. lol guy, listen to yourself and reevaluate okay?

>>17132315
whats funny is you dont actually noticed self centered people because they arent actually around because theyre off being, you know self centered and such. its always average nobodies that complain about this

>>17132304
>>17132304
>the problem with being self-centered comes when you try to advise people with advice based on your perspective
i hope youre not referencing me senpai. i nowhere once offered advice, not even in my op. it was a simple invite to a discussion and apparently that other guy took the bait. most of those replies were an exchange of perspective and attempting to prove the superiority of one over the other
>>
>>17132120
It's true though, everything a person does, it dies solely for itself.
Sometimes we help others and sacrifice for others, but that's just in order to feel good in one way or another.
>>
ITT: Opie comes to advice to get his e-peen stroked, and s/he cannot be reasoned with. At all
>>
>>17132422
>ITT: Opie comes to advice to get his e-peen stroked,
what? learn to read. i came here for
>why you get so mad when someones self centered?

>he cannot be reasoned with. At all
>>17132049
Your example is no different than mine, you addressed two reasons for the monkey not to share, but the monkey race still dies off. If the monkey showed his rerarded monkey friends where he bananas are, the added nutrients to their diet would advance the intelligence of their race so that future generations will find lots of bananas without being helped. The smart monkey would have lots of smart monkey babies that would inherit his intelligence. But if he does not share, he'll see one day that he's the only monkey left, because the others died of starvation, and he has one to mate with. Whoops.

gee i wonder why
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.