[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>TL;DR - Extreme hyperventilation just shy of fainting causing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: Mont_St_Michel.jpg (107 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Mont_St_Michel.jpg
107 KB, 1024x768
>TL;DR - Extreme hyperventilation just shy of fainting causing a lasting irregular heart beat?

Yesterday morning about 9am I woke up, ate breakfast...all the regular shit. Around 11 I took 30 mg adderall XR, did homework and went about my day as usual. I normally drink coffee and know what withdrawal is like when i drink too much but normally about a cup or two a day. But today I had a few more, maybe 5 in all.

About 4 in the afternoon I was driving to my friends house and started hyperventilating to the extreme (all the coffee mentioned has been finished and no more after this)

Tingling feeling in my hands and pinkies(specifically, no where else)
Extremely lightheaded just shy of fainting it seemed like, Racing heart whilst sitting still (~100bpm) and couldnt catch my breath worth a damn

I've calmed down since then and all is well EXCEPT i feel like i have an irregular heart rate now and im hoping sleep will fix this. I've done all my own research already and even called the pcc. I dont abuse this and have treated it with the same respect as i did today in the past(minus the few extra cups of coffee)

Can someone shed anymore light on this? It just feels like my heart rate wont go back to normal and it sure is scaring the shit out of me. While i was hypervenitlating my heart rate felt "rickety" like a rusty, squeaky door if that makes sense.
No previous heart or medical conditions and I dont do any other drugs...even recreationally. Except alcohol but that certainly isnt related since i havent had any in the past week

>pic unrelated
>>
It could be any number of things. Too much caffeine, the speed, low blood sugar, a heart defect. Who fucking knows huh?

Basically a cardiac event is a cardiac event and permanent damage will show classic signs and symptoms which is more likely than you have developed some new or rare disorder.

Read up on it. If you aren't informed then you aren't going to feel reassured and if you still feel you need the opinion of another don't use 4chan for medical advice.
>>
>>17131942
you could also have triggered a panic attack from all the stims you took. panic attacks can cause real physical symptoms like shortness of breath, numb/tingly parts of your body, fast heartrate, mental confusion, inability to speak. they also makes you HYPER aware of all the small changes in your body which makes you panic more.

if you were going to die it probably would've happened by now so there's that. all of the shit you did yesterday is out of your system. you could just be suffering from the aftermath of a panic attack and your anxiety won't stop focusing in on the thought of your heart not being ok and that's giving actual physical symptons.

I get panic attacks sometimes and too much coffee and a cigarette can set me off and make me think I need to go to the ER because my face is tingling and my heart feels like it's beating weird.

either way, go to your campus urgent care and pay the 30 bucks to get an EKG and some tests. if they can't find anything wrong, it was just a panic attack. and stop with the fucking coffee, after two cups you're not really doing anything more than stringing yourself out.
>>
>>17132045

Some good insight. I really appreciate it, man. My dad had had all sorts of heart problems and every since I was a kid I've had all kinds of tests to make sure nothing has been passed down and up until now my heart has been fine. With that, I'm going to see his reg heart dr and just be honest with the guy.

You're right on the coffee too. The days I drink more than usual are typically boring. it's more like a way to pass time and take a break. Gotta switch to tea or something of the sort
>>
>>17131942
>>TL;DR - Extreme hyperventilation just shy of fainting causing a lasting irregular heart beat?
>Yesterday morning about 9am I woke up, ate breakfast...all the regular shit. Around 11 I took 30 mg adderall XR,
OP, I read these first 2 sentences in the catalog and winced.
Winced even harder when I read
>I normally drink coffee and know what withdrawal is like when i drink too much but normally about a cup or two a day. But today I had a few more, maybe 5 in all.
This is called "stimulant abuse". You need to back off on them before you end up in the ER or worse.
The symptoms you're describing are very obviously sympathetic overdrive due to the stims.

>>17131942
>i feel like i have an irregular heart rate now and im hoping sleep will fix this
It will. That's common during the crash. Feels like your heart's "flip-flopping", skipping beats, and adding extra ones, right?
Don't worry, sleep will fix it. Make sure to get more than your usual amount of sleep after stimulant use: it's called recovery sleep and your body needs it.

>>17132138
What are you taking the Adderall for, anyway? ADHD?
You seriously shouldn't be taking high doses (eg ~500mg caffeine) of any other stimulant with it, they will interact and cause these symptoms.

If caffeine improves your focus/concentration/etc, consider using it instead of the Adderall. It's much safer and doesn't harm the brain with long-term usage.
And seriously consider switching to a different ADHD medication: If coffee relieves the symptoms a bit, atomoxetine (Strattera) will likely help a lot. Also consider clonidine or guanfacine (both interact much better with stims like caffeine), or modafinil/armodafinil (it's tested equal to ritalin in ADHD and doesn't cause major sympathetic overdrive).
>>
File: 1454375153303.jpg (176 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1454375153303.jpg
176 KB, 1024x576
>>17132441
I'm screen capping that last paragraph and going to talk to the doc about these.

Definitely laying off the adderall but it'll have to be a show reduction of coffee so I don't get withdrawal headaches

>this is called "stimulant abuse"
Yeah, I guess I was denying that but certainly didn't do it intentionally. Be honest with yourself, kids, and you won't hurt yourself like I did.

BTW
Woke up after 8 hours of sleep and have a monster of a headache. My whole head has a dull ache and the left side of my head is sensitive to the touch, and has a different sort of pain that comes and goes in intervals

Not that I want to keep up with these people, but how to extreme cases of ADHD "play" with such high doses? I've read people actually use that term and they were taking 60-100mg of stims. Who knows of they drink coffee or take anything else on top. Their brains/bodies must be fried.
>>
>>17132823
>how to extreme cases of ADHD "play" with such high doses? I've read people actually use that term and they were taking 60-100mg of stims.
Those aren't really extreme cases of ADHD, they're usually extreme cases of stimulant tolerance (they probably started at lower doses and had to keep going up over time, if you start with 15mg Adderall XR at age 10 it's not surprising to be at 100mg by age 30).
And yeah in people with "standard" ADHD (low dopamine) that directly worsens the symptoms, so it's undesirable, to say the least.

Thankfully amphetamine, methylphenidate, etc are only neurotoxic at very high doses, and this threshold also increases as tolerance increases, so most of these people can actually recover back to normal by stopping the drug.
Problem is, they'll be a lot worse during the recovery period, it's basically a super-long withdrawal.
And people with ADHD often mistakenly blame the ADHD for the tolerance symptoms (since they're exactly the same) and take this as a sign that they should go back on the meds, and the process keeps going until they can't concentrate at all anymore and finally see a decent doctor who recognizes and fixes the problem.
Pic related.

Stimulants like meth and MDMA have much lower neurotoxicity thresholds, so people use those all time fuck up their brains much, much worse (and more permanently) than adderall or ritalin users.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.