[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I not pass out while giving blood?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: Valley of Fires 1.jpg (690 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Valley of Fires 1.jpg
690 KB, 1600x1200
How can I not pass out while giving blood?
>>
Don't be anemic, anemic people aren't even allowed to give blood.
>>
>>17130655
Your posts raises two questions :

a. Why do you give blood ? Is it a voluntary thing you do or mandatory procedure ?
b. Why do you pass out ? Is it because you're anemic as previously mentioned by >>17130670 or is it because you can't tolerate the idea of giving blood ?
>>
>>17130680

I don't think I have anemia. I am voluntarily donating and would like to be able to complete a donation.

I don't think I can't tolerate it either. I'm not scared of needles as I've gotten tattoos in the past. I'm looking away during the whole think I just get dizzy as fuck once the blood starts flowing, it becomes harder to talk, hear, and I start sweating.
>>
>>17130700
You have anemia or some anemia-like disorder friend, sorry to have to break it to you. If you're perfectly fine with donating blood on a psychological level (this means fainting even when looking away), then there is certainly something that might be a little off (but don't start freaking out, it happens to a lot of people). Why haven't you asked the people at the clinic about it ?
>>
>>17130730
He probably doesn't have anemia. If he had anemia, I'm pretty sure that he'd be aware of it by the time he's eligible to donate blood.

>>17130655
How much do you weigh OP? I'm guessing that you're pretty thin? If you just don't have a ton of blood in your body, then it's really common to get dizzy/pass out while donating blood. We had lots of blood drives at my high school, and lots of donors who were either tall and lanky or very short had trouble dealing with the sudden loss of blood. There might not be a way for you to 'correct' for this problem if it's a weight-related issue. Just wait and see if you'll grow?
>>
>>17130730

my hemeglobin levels tested ok. I assumed it's not eating enough or not drinking enough water. I'm usually embarrassed and looking to get out of there after it happens too.
>>
>>17130753

67 in and about 145 pounds. I'm not super tiny but not big either.
>>
b-bump
>>
Drink high sugar apple juice and sweet/salty shit.
>>
I have tattoos and pass out if I have any amount of blood drawn or get a cut where I can see bones or tendons. I'm just scared. You're just scared too. I don't think there's any help for us.
>>
I think you have what i do. Its a blood phobia. People are born with it and no one can explain why ppl have it.
How do you feel when seeing blood? List all your symptoms.
>>
>>17130655
>How can I not pass out while giving blood?
It depends on why you're passing out. Do you have low blood pressure? Could it be a vasovagal reaction? I feel dumb even asking this, but could it be a phobia against needles or blood? (Sorry, just gotta check).
>>
This sounds like vasovagal syncope. My recommendation is to lay down while your blood is being drawn, and lay there for as long as you need, getting up slowly. Sip water as you lay there. If possible, make sure you come well-hydrated and well-fed. This will keep you from passing out.

Source: I have the same problem.
>>
>>17130753
That's why I said "or some anemia-like disorder" (like an iron deficiency or something), friend :-)
>>
>>17130655
Eat something before going.
>>
>>17130655
Do you look at the blood coming out while they do it? Don't fucking look, and eat and drink alot before going.
>>
>>17132180
Not weighing much isn't "some anemia-like disorder." An anemia-like disorder would mean that the number of RBC's in your body (or their potential to carry oxygen) is inadequate for your needs. OP never said anything about this. He just said that he has trouble once he's given blood.
>>
>>17132260
How about we stop pretending that we're doctors and just take a look at this interesting Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_response

Don't get me wrong, I understand your apparent need for exactitude, I feel the same way, but let's not argue about this like it's a contest of who's got the most extended knowledge in the medical field
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.