[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Dementia runs in the family >Grandpa has Alzheimer's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
>Dementia runs in the family
>Grandpa has Alzheimer's
>All my mom does all day for entertainment is play one or two Facebook games
>She works a menial job
>She refuses to learn anything new or do anything besides tv or Facebook games
>Tried playing a simple board game with her the other day and she forgot the rules every turn and said it was "beyond her" when a literal 5 year old could play.

How do I convince my mom to exercise her brain so I'm not stuck babysitting a potato for a decade in 5 years and wasting my 30s? It's doubtful my father or other siblings would be much of an influence.
>>
>>17129081

Also I love my mother and want her quality of life at the end of her life to be good as I don't want her to be a potato. I'm certain that sentence sounded quite harsh and self centered.
>>
>>17129081
Kids have better brains than adults
Just sit down and talk with her about your concerns, maybe ask her to talk with a doctor about supplements, make sure she eats more fish, preferably Atlantic mackerel if you can find it, for its high phosphatydylserine content. Good on you for looking out for your mom. I really hope I have dementia when I go though.
>>
>>17129081
>>Tried playing a simple board game with her the other day and she forgot the rules every turn and said it was "beyond her" when a literal 5 year old could play.

This reminds me of my mom. She had the same lack of motivation and struggled learning anything new. She even said something was "beyond her" when presented with simple tasks like using a tv remote.
>>
Yeah same with my mom. She asks for help with things I know she can figure out for herself. I usually force her to do it alone and she gets it right. Its like a mental lazyness but its also a lack of confidence, like fear that she wont be able to do and shell look dumb so she doesnt try.
>>
you're over 18 and you live with your mom?
wtf is wrong with you?
>>
Give her an instrument, (something simple, like a flute or a ukulele)
>>
>>17129094
Does she have any friends?

One thing that helped my dad was making him write his life stories for the kids. (English is not his first language and he said he was forgetting it without regular usage.)

Still, it's getting harder to keep him motivated. He's 80, and is just really tired and frail.

You should talk to your mom and express your concern that you want her quality of life to be the best possible later.

Alzheimer's is only partly genetic. She may still end up getting a type of that and/or dementia anyway. I don't think mental exercises do much relative to the various amyloid plaque reducers and inhibitors that they have. But social interaction and the mental exercises that you mention are crucial for keeping her from being depressed, which is common in elderly.
>>
>>17129289
>kids have better brains than adults

Either underageb& or a very dumb adult
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.