[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am training to be a psychologist. Currently, I'm on internship
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 1453331965602.jpg (29 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1453331965602.jpg
29 KB, 512x384
I am training to be a psychologist. Currently, I'm on internship and being supervised by a masters-level psychologist.

2-3 weeks ago my supervisor lost her shit at me. She was stressed out (a lot of family and health problems accumulating) and I could tell. So, I tried to make her feel better by telling her that sometimes I, too, feel like I'm under a lot of pressure.

A few days later, I'm called to a meeting with the head of my program and I'm told that I'm to take a mandatory "pause" from my internship because I'm stressed out. Okay, I figure my supervisor took what I told her a little too seriously, but I wouldn't mind a vacation.

It's now been three weeks. The head of my program has told me I probably can't go back to my internship (meaning I can't graduate and can't get a license) because my supervisor told him that I'm "a danger to myself and others" - which was news to me.

So what do I do? I'm literally 50 hours away from completing my internship and now I'm being told that I'm too crazy to continue, based off the opinion of some woman who clearly isn't telling the truth.
>>
>>17128874
You should ask to speak to the head of your program and explain exactly what happened in great detail. Especially everything surrounding the reason she would have said such things.
>>
>>17128874
She's going to get you incarcerated OP, you have to incarcerate her before she incarcerates you.
She's acting preemptively so you don't ruin her reputation.
>>
>>17128874
Also, it'd probably be best to suggest if he can't believe your word against hers for your education, that you'd be willing to get a full psychological evaluation before returning.
>>
Hahaha what the fuck

One of your goals should be to become exceptionally healthy (or at least emotionally balanced), so that you can distinguish yourself as a non-cook and start a private practice that actually helps people consistently, or become a director yourself. Then profit.

I understand that people with trauma and emotional issues are likely to go into psychology, but it would be nice if they were more interpersonally capable than the general population.

I have been in treatment for a while, and I can't say how many psychologists I've met are either really distorted or depressed. That is not to mention their behavior issues like tendency towards a self-justified anger outburst if a special nerve is touched.

What a field to set your standards high in.
>>
>>17128874
>I'm "a danger to myself and others"
I highly doubt this is just coming out of nowhere.

Let me guess, OP. You're a /pol/tard, aren't you? Did you say something fucking retarded that could make your supervisor think you're mentally unhinged?
>>
>>17128917
>think

everyone I know irl who is a poltard is actually unhinged

but were getting off topic
>>
That's such a vague reason to ruin someone's life, how awful. Not to mention that this is supposed to be a scientific field???? Even if you said some /pol/ tier shit you should still be judged based off of concrete reasoning and evidence.
>>
It could be that your supervisor's whole "stressed out" thing was just an act to get you to admit the same of yourself.
>>
>>17128880

I have done this. He doesn't seem to believe my account of events. Mostly because I am nothing but a lowly intern and she (the supervisor) has been a psychologist for over a decade.

I also mentioned to him that one of my supervisor's superiors voluntarily contacted me and asked me if I had experienced any "strange behavior" from my supervisor. Apparently she has freaked out at other employees and clients over the past few months.

The head of my program decided to ignore that information, though. Even after I asked him to contact the person who had spoken to me.

>>17128889

I have noted the power relationship and he doesn't seem to care. Even after he shared with me that he's been in supervision situations where the supervisor has done inappropriate things and gotten away with it due to a power relationship, he still said "Oh, but that's nothing like your situation".

At the moment, the program head's hypothesis is that I have an unspecified "interpersonal problem".

I volunteered for assessment and counseling and the administration's reaction has been very "meh".
>>
>>17128917

No, honestly.

I'm very tactful in my conversations with my colleagues.

If anything, my supervisor has more extreme opinions than I do.

For example, she believes that the orientation of the celestial bodies effect people's behavior.

When she brought this up (and confirmed that she wasn't joking when she said "You know, it's true. I've seen it myself. Some people this it's crazy, but I've seen it with my own eyes"), I said something like "Yes, I've heard of that relationship before" - not suggesting that I disagree or agree with her.

Similarly, she thinks that sugar completely alters the behavior of children (spoiler: it doesn't). When she brought this up, I told her that my professors had told me that this wasn't true (again, not saying that I disagree with her) and that I wasn't sure about it myself. Her response was this:

"Well, do they have children? Because I'd like to see them handle my kid when he's had some candy! Only a mother would understand!"
>>
Sounds like you've gotta beg for another internship, and then learn to keep your mouth shut.
Maybe she knew what you were trying to do, maybe instead of comforting her you angered her.

Sort of like teaching your parents to suck eggs.
>>
>>17128973

That has been my interpretation. Somehow what I said triggered her destructive behavior.

I'm also concerned that she's easily able to characterize me this way because I am a man and she is a woman. No matter what I say, I will look like an aggressor if she claims to feel unsafe.
>>
This problem is more severe than the average issues seen on this board. As such, I'd advise against using /adv/ as your main source of information, make sure you are going to people with more credibility than anons. I'm sure you're already doing this to a degree, but I thought I should emphasize it.
>>
>>17128988

Oh yes. I didn't plan on taking my post here seriously.

I just thought it'd be interesting to share this situation with others.
>>
>>17128959
Why are you having an urge to bicker with an oldschool unscientific woman after you have come fresh out of school?

Cant she just be like that?
>>
>>17128988
>more severe than the average issues

You mean more valid. This board gets very severe.
>>
>>17128874

Well, ONE of you is certainly a fucking lunatic, but I can't confidently say which one since I only have your side.
>>
You have to get the dean of students and the academic senate involved. Present your complaint and the fact that this prevents you from getting your degree, and demand to see what complaints or charges were officially filed against you, as you have the right to do so.
>>
>>17128947
>Even after I asked him to contact the person who had spoken to me.

Could you go the other way around and contact that person, getting them to contact the head of your program instead?
>>
>>17128959

Oh christ, she's one of those idiots.
>>
>>17129005

I have actually done this!

Apparently no official complaints were made. The dead suggests that he was completely unaware of what was going on and he has explicitly told the head of my program that he needs to find me another placement.

That being said, the head of my program is attempting to take as much time as possible to do this. I may only need 50 hours, but I need them by the end of June or I am charged a "internship continuation fee". I'm expecting he will drag this out until then or attempt to convince me to leave the program for some other reason.
>>
>my supervisor told him that I'm "a danger to myself and others" - which was news to me.

We need more information on this. Why did they make that claim? What actual evidence do they have?

The first thing that you should have done is ask why the hell are you a danger to others, have you actually asked them?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.