[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are people good at music better at learning languages?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 4590385.jpg (14 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
4590385.jpg
14 KB, 480x270
Are people good at music better at learning languages?
>>
Are people that are good at giving advice better at playing music?
>>
>>17121312
Those two factors are more correlated I think.
>>
>>17121287
There are in fact some studies that suggest that's true. It has something to do with picking up on the "music" of a language (the rhythms and sounds that let you know what language someone is speaking even if you don't understand it) quicker than others, and thus having multiple ways into learning, the sound as well as the meanings.
>>
Sounds like something you'd have to conduct scientific research to determine. I dunno if there's already been any studies on this.
>>
>>17121313
Are they? Why? Aural tone recognition? You don't need to be good at playing music to understand that, you just have to understand speech as a form of communication. Perhaps they're more predisposed towards recognizing patterns than somebody who would simply give up because they hold in their mind that it is impossible to understand a language you do now know, but how about a social psychologist?

Perhaps people who are more empathetic of others and able to connect with these people emotionally would have some innate disposition towards understanding the intent behind words, even if they can't understand the words themselves.

Who can say.
>>
>>17121287
I think music and language are both on the "left" side of the brain, and people tend to have a stronger side. I first thought it makes no sense because language is a pretty strict thing with rules, but there's more "feeling" involved than you realize. Some things just "sound wrong" even though they're not grammatically incorrect. Which is why Google can make a bot that beats Go masters but can't translate a medium complexity sentence correctly.

Another thing might be that people who manage to master an instrument are simply better at delayed reward activities like learning a language.
>>
>>17121330
>Perhaps people who are more empathetic of others and able to connect with these people emotionally would have some innate disposition towards understanding the intent behind words, even if they can't understand the words themselves.
This is a really interesting idea actually. If you look at literary geniuses like Kafka, they understand the structural aspect of language like no one else. But still it is now thought that Kafka had autism, because he sucked at actually communicating. For good communication understanding context is probably more important than a fundamental understanding of the language.

Sometimes you go drinking and meet for example Chinese or Japanese people with close to zero English skills, you still end up telling each other stories after 4 beers and everybody understands more or less.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.