[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>go out to eat with friends >one of them, let's call
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: southwestern_veggie_wraps4.jpg (24 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
southwestern_veggie_wraps4.jpg
24 KB, 600x400
>go out to eat with friends
>one of them, let's call him Joe, is the kind of person who will talk and talk and not give other people a chance to say anything, and when they do he only half-listens
>anyway, we get our food and start focusing on eating, but Joe mostly keeps talking and only picks at his food
>by the time we finish, Joe has still barely eaten because he keeps trying to talk about shit
>give him some time, we start hinting at him that he's got a lot of food left, but he just takes a bite at a time then starts a monologue
>I honestly believe he was doing this on purpose so he could TRAP us into listening to him talk, like it legitimately feels like he's trying to buy himself time
>like he theatrically acts like he's about to take a bite but then acts like some thought has just occurred to him and must share it with us
>ask if anyone wants anything else afterward, we all say no, so I call over the waitress when I see her and ask for the bill
>Joe starts going "wait what I'm still eating though" but I tell him we can still pay the check
>our other friend seems have caught my drift, so he asks Joe if he's having trouble finishing his meal and if he thinks he should get it wrapped
>he protests but we insist, he tries to buy time by going "welll I don't know if I want to get it wrapped up or not" but we say he can take it home and throw it away later if he really wants
>he decides to eat it now, and starts trying to pull the talking shit again
>I say my legs are cramped and I need fresh air so I'll wait outside, our other friend says the same thing and comes with me
>a few minutes later Joe is outside with his food wrapped
>as we're leaving he complains that we were pressuring him or some shit

I am just pissed off and want to hear your thoughts. Does anyone else have an obnoxious friend like this? This is just one incident. Wat do?
>>
>>17113791

>This is just one incident. Wat do?

If you insist on hanging out with irritating people you will be put into irritating situations.

If you don't want to be irritated, stop hanging out with him.

Thats it. Make your choice.
>>
>>17113798

Pretty much this. The great thing about life is the ability to pick and choose who we spend our time with. At the very least, have smaller doses of the people we can't stand.
>>
>>17113798
>>17113805
Fuck, you're right.

I've known him since early high school, so I've been kind of hoping we can show him the error of his ways, but meh...
>>
>>17113798
That's a little harsh, the dude could be otherwise a really good guy.
>>17113791
You just need to be honest with him. He's not gonna get any hints because these guys never do. He's either gonna get pissy with you in which case you just have to hold you ground and if he keeps it up then you can drop him, or he'll realize that you guys are seriously getting angry and he'll get at least a little better.
>>
>>17113818
We've tried to explain this to him before and he just keeps it up. He'll say weird things like we're "plotting against him." Or like if we hang out without him and we mention it offhand, he'll start freaking out, saying we should only hang out together. Like he gets jealous when he do stuff without him, like we're "cheating" on him.
>>
File: 1414462427993.gif (1 MB, 200x190) Image search: [Google]
1414462427993.gif
1 MB, 200x190
>>17113884

Lost cause. Abort!
>>
>>17113887
lol thanks, that's how I felt, I wanted to make sure I wasn't being an asshole
>>
Oh God now I'm even more self conscious about how slowly I eat... Only it's not because I'm talking usually but more because I'm focused on not fucking choking to death... But now I'm worried I'm obnoxious
>>
>>17113924
Well, we weren't mad at him for physically eating slowly, we were mad because he kept insisting on talking rather than eating, especially because he has a history of being obnoxious about talking too much.
>>
>>17113938
Oh no, I know, I just worry if I get distracted, but I like to think I pick up on cues for shutting the fuck up.

This guy seems blind to social cues and I think you're right to be angry with him. I'm just paranoid with no reason to be. I always self deprecate about it, and no one seems mad... But I'll worry a bit anyway
>>
>>17113791
Maybe he has no friends besides you guys but then again the reason behind that would be what you already said.
I personally have not many friends so when I get to eat with them, I often talk more than I eat but when people tell me to eat, I do.
Although I must say I love listening to their stories.
>>
I was Joe in high school. Sit down and have a chat to him in private about your concern with his behaviour and how it affects other people if you really want to be his friend. Let him know that if he continues to be boring and annoying like this, people won't want to spend time with him. I had a best friend in year 11 who did this for me because I was wondering why people seem to stop being friends with me after a few months and push me out of groups.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.