[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Band trouble
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (139 KB, 954x954) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139 KB, 954x954
My jazz combo is falling apart. My drummer and I are the leaders, but everyone else in our sextet is inexperienced, not serious about progress, and basically out to lunch at all times. I told them to study Cherokee two weeks ago, and the night before a performance they are clueless (not from inability, but from apathy). We rarely get to rehearse for our performances and will end up embarassing ourselves.

We are pretty much stuck with the people in this group, but my drummer has his own project so he doesn't see things like I do, and lets it go. Is it possible to push your peers to succeed without forcing them? Is it my place as a leader to issue ultimatums if my group doesn't respect me or the art?
>>
>jazz

Is this the 1920s or sum shit?
>>
>>17109877
No
>>
File: whoosh.jpg (240 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
whoosh.jpg
240 KB, 612x612
>>17109896
whoosh
>>
>>17109875
> Is it possible to push your peers to succeed without forcing them?

Sorry, OP - this isn't going to be the answer you want, but it's applicable to all forms of team leadership...

It is *possible*, but it takes time and can be difficult. You have to figure out what their motivations are and play to that. i.e., why are they in your band to begin with? I know you want to put out good art and not embarrass yourselves, but what about them? Are they doing it because they want something to talk to girls about? Because they get free meals when practicing with you?

You won't be able to motivate and inspire them until you figure out what each of their incentives is. And even then, they still may not perform at the level that you want.

It's like getting team members at a job to each do their part. Some people are there for the money. Others are there because they have nothing better to do. Others are like you and want to feel good about accomplishing something.

So you have to figure out why they showed up, why they want to be a part of the band... or drop 'em. The best athletic coaches and business leaders know when to give up on certain players/members.

> Is it my place as a leader to issue ultimatums if my group doesn't respect me or the art?

You can have the TITLE of a leader, but if you don't have leverage in the situation (i.e., you're not signing paychecks for them), then issuing ultimatums will just make you look like a bossy control freak that they'll resent and hate.
>>
>>17109875
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trout_Mask_Replica#Background
>>
>out to lunch
kek
>>
>>17110004
I see what you mean. I'm thinking of having a little meeting and reminding them why the combo exists and asking why they are involved sort of thing, and saying if they are not bringing their all to the table they shouldn't feel obligated to come waste everyone's time, in nicer and clearer terms of course
>>17110033
Thanks
>>
Just play Impressions every night. It's an easy tune. That or a Blues. Will get stale pretty fast but they might get inspired to push themselves.
>>
>>17110004
This OP. I'm in three bands, and if at least one person isn't 100% dedicated to rehearsing, learning, writing and growing, your group will suffer.

>It is *possible*, but it takes time and can be difficult. You have to figure out what their motivations are and play to that. i.e., why are they in your band to begin with? I know you want to put out good art and not embarrass yourselves, but what about them? Are they doing it because they want something to talk to girls about? Because they get free meals when practicing with you?

Ask them straight up why they want to be in the combo. If their answers are shit, drop them. There's millions of other talented musicians looking for people to play with all the time.
>>
>>17110048
If only it were that easy. Our bass/piano player get lost on the easiest tunes. On TWNBAY our bassist thinks it's fine to just walk randomly over Ebmaj for the whole song if he gets lost, and when I try to explain why that's wrong and how to do it right he just phases out and ignores me.
>>
>>17109875
Just find a new band. There's plenty of people who will share your passion for music without the bullshit.
>>
>>17110063
Sounds like your hand has some weak chops. Try looking for local clubs and jam sessions. Make new friends. That's what I've been told before.
>>
>>17110082
Beside the drummer and I, it's a band of beginners with a lot of potential, but no drive or love of jazz
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.