[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, I am terrified that I am a narcissist and that I am making
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 2.jpg (61 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
61 KB, 600x400
Hello, I am terrified that I am a narcissist and that I am making everyone in my life miserable. I am super pessimistic and negative about everything and I really do think I am pretty awesome but maybe that is just the narcissism and my thinking I am awesome is just a byproduct of my comprehensive and impenetrable self-delusion.

I will answer any questions 100% honestly because I want to know for sure one way or the other. Please help me. This suspicion is ruining my life. '

p.s. I live in America so I can't afford to see a psych and get a real evaluation.

pic unrelated
>>
>>17108681
Do you go around your friends telling them how awesome you are?
>>
What is a narcissist. Educate me.
>>
So do you have a tendency to excessively flatter ("love bomb") people initially, use them for sex, and then drop them immediately without explanation, blaming them for not being up to your standards?
>>
>>17108688

My understanding of narcissism

(from here http://www.halcyon.com/jmashmun/npd/traits.html#gift)

is that narcissists have no empathy for other people and are undeservingly arrogant.

I am trying to figure out if I am a narcissist or just a pathetic fucking low-self-esteem loser who is looking for any excuse to rationalize his shit self-worth.

Am I good and now somewhat aware of how good I am and grasping at straws to bring myself down...

or am I an overconfident douchebag narcissist who unwittingly makes everyone around him miserable?

I guess my confusion is at what point does confidence become narcissism.
>>
>>17108696

I actually have been with only one girl, the same girl for 10 years which makes me even more scared that I am a manipulative narcissist that has her completely brainwashed and controlled.
>>
>>17108684
I don't go outside much. I'm a shut-in but from what I've read that is normal for narcissists.

>Narcissists are hostile and ferocious in reaction, but they are generally passive and lacking in initiative. They don't start stuff -- they don't reach out. Remember this when they turn and rend you! They will complain about the same things for years on end, but only rarely do anything to change what dissatisfies them so badly.
>>
>>17108681
if you're terrified you're a narcissist then you aren't a narcissist.
>>
>>17108718
Narcissism has alot of different faces. Most of the ones i've met were "oh-man-i'm-so-good" around people they got comfortable with, so that's the first quality i check.

Now to the point. Being confident and knowing your worth is not narcissism. Overestimating yourself is. As long as you know how to admit you were mistaken there's nothing wrong with you.
>>
They say that narcissists tend not to be able to understand the fact that they have the condition, nor do they care how it affects others. So right off the bat there are two major associations with the disorder that you are showing negative for.

But narcissists are always seeking validation and an especially crafty one may do something like this in order to receive confirmation that they are indeed not one (if they view it as a bad thing) or to receive confirmation that they are one (if they secretly view it as a good thing and want confirmation for it, however negative the person giving them that attentipm may view the disorder--which the negativity directed at them would be blunted if they displayed themselves as feeling negative about it and wouldn't affect them as much, they knowingly acting pitifully for that reason or not.)

Narcissists are fucking pathetic and extremely annoying to deal with, having had a few diagnosed ones in my close family--they can be real sons of bitches. It can also be hilarious to see them jump through the hoops for their widdle egos. But the ones I have dealt with have never relented in this way except if it was to get the aforementioned validation and this would be a last ditch effort so I kind of doubt you are one.

I would direct yourself toward the medical community if you suspect you are. There may be people telling you one thing or another, playing armchair psychologist (I am, but it's only because I am fairly certain I have dealt with genuine narcissists for many years), but I would get it looked into by trained professionals if it is really concerning to you.

You're probably just a cocky person.
>>
>>17108739

>an especially crafty one may do something like this in order to receive confirmation that they are indeed not one

all my fears encapsulated.

can narcissists be rehabilitated? if a narcissist is made self-aware of their condition can they force themselves to change, or will they always have the same toxic/distorted worldview?
>>
Are you smart, witty, with a wicked sense of humour?
>>
>>17108761
Not OP, but i display the qualities you've mentioned. What's that supposed to mean?
>>
>>17108761

I see where you're going with that but I'm sure there are people who would say "yes" to all of those that aren't narcissists.

Anyway my answer is yes to the first and yes I am witty but not extraordinarily so. My sense of humor is probably average. I can make people laugh (I mean it's not hard since laughing at people's jokes is socially mandatory so even the shittiest most hackneyed overused jokes will kill in almost any context) but I personally I like absurdist humor that most people don't think is funny at all.
>>
>>17108774
Narcissists have a high opinion of themselves and will always say yes if asked if they're smart.

Unless they're smart enough to know better. In which case they may actually be smart but also a narcissist.

This is a fucking rabbit's hole if I've ever seen one.
>>
>>17108774
The DSM is pretty specific about diagnostic criteria for Narcissistic personality disorder. People can display some tendencies without being totally narcissistic.
>>
>>17108791
Well i can't agree with you on this one. The thing is, people got so fixated about "not sounding narcissistic" these days that aknowledging your qualities could sometimes be even socially suicidal. I think people forgot that there's a difference between admitting things and braging about them.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.