[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to derive wisdom solely from reasoning and logic /adv/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: einstein1_7.jpg (61 KB, 620x747) Image search: [Google]
einstein1_7.jpg
61 KB, 620x747
Is it possible to derive wisdom solely from reasoning and logic /adv/?
>>
>>17104385
It would take many lifetimes before you could catch up to speed.
Doesn't mean they're not helpful skills on their own, but books will make everything easier and will open you up to different ideas and perspectives.
>>
No, I don't believe so.

Reasoning and logic are well and good, but they're concrete. Facts are facts and there's not much more you can say about that.

Wisdom, and by extension a true understanding of reality can't be constrained by these solid constructions. Understanding needs to flow unrestrained like water. You have to be willing to abandon your preconceived knowledge and its rigid, unchanging properties for understanding to flow and achieve true wisdom.
>>
Reasoning and logic are excellent heuristics for learbing about the world, and vital parts of any thinking person's toolbox. But like all heuristics, there are times when they fail, and when they do, one needs other tools to figure those situations out.
>>
>>17104385

Wisdom incorporates empathy, and an understanding of other people. Wisdom adds a sense of "realism" to reason and logic, because we both know that reason and logic do not dictate the way the world really works. Other people do, and people often behave unreasonably and illogically.
>>
>>17104385
Solely from reasoning not, but you can go far using your mind on the scientific method:
>Develop idea
>Check if world observations prove your idea
>Generate new ideas with your new observations
>Repeat step 2

When i was 15 i always readed those scientific websites and TV shows (How Stuff Works, Seconds from disaster and other from Discovery/Nat Geo, etc) and tried to understand the world, but had no friends and nobody to discuss so i started using my free time to argue with myself. Today most of what i know is from self learning.

It's actually enlightening, because if you hold both sides of a argument, and you know when you're lying, then you realise a argument is false.

It takes literally forever (you can't have a limit on wisdom), but any knowledge is always useful.

>>17104409
Every fact can be explained with a reasonable and logic answer. The problem is when the answer is not what we want.
Like when people state the impossibility of God's existence even if they have no proof.

For what we know (and it's close to nothing) God can be having a dinner right now with Cookie monster and that cured a cancer.

It has a reasoning, it's logic (God's dinner with cookie monster caused the cure) but we simply refuse this possibility because we don't like it (generally we blame who made the argument instead of thinking).

But if you did this argument to yourself, you would realise you don't choose what is real and what is not, how the world works and how it don't, so the only conclusion is you're wrong about your previous knowledge (God doesn't exist).
You learnt something.

>>17104877

People have no control about the world.
You don't control physics, biology, politics, sociology, economy... etc.

We all work inside the rules, even if we don't know them.
>>
>>17104385
Nope, kid.

You can't be a NEET and know everything.
>>
>>17104385
yes, it´s called meditation, look it up and try it for 30 mins.

you will see a difference
>>
Not really. I think any wisdom derived purely from logic is either too vague or absolute to apply to any practical circumstances.

>op is actually Immanuel Kant
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.