[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will I get fat and lazy as fuck if I take antidepressants? Life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 4546456.jpg (42 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
4546456.jpg
42 KB, 620x387
Will I get fat and lazy as fuck if I take antidepressants? Life makes no sense, everything seems unreal. I care about nothing because nothing seems real and I'm observing everything from someplace else. I've been like this for 6 years.
>>
Anti-depressants will only make it worse.
>Been there, done that.
>>
>>17104116
My dad is also depressed. He's been taking them for years, but it really help him much. In fact, he just turned into a plant.
>>
If you are concerned, then I think reconsider after being on antidepressants for like 6 months. Your body won't change that much in such a short time.
The way I looked at it, my choice was that I take them or I probably would have killed myself.
>>
Not that I know enough about your situation to diagnose you, nor do I have the qualifications to do so, but I will say there are several classes of antidepressants
SSRI
SNRI
Tricyclic
MAO Inhibitors

And then there's Wellbutrin, which is quite popular (and I'm currently on it). It brings your mood up (helpful if the depression is bringing you down, not so helpful if it's the anxious type of depression where your mind is constantly racing). Unlike other antidepressants, it is not supposed to have an effect on weight, and in the short term may actually make you lose a small amount of weight.
>>
>>17104115
>Will I get fat and lazy as fuck if I take antidepressants?
First of all, "antidepressants" includes a huge variety of drugs in 6+ different classes.
Some do not even have weight gain and lethargy as possible side effects: some even do the opposite (eg bupropion).
And those that do aren't guaranteed to cause those effects: one person may take them and get all kinds of nasty shit, while someone else gets none.
For example, i took escitalopram (Lexapro) for the standard 6 weeks and it did absolutely nothing, might as well have been taking sugar pills.

>Life makes no sense, everything seems unreal. I care about nothing because nothing seems real and I'm observing everything from someplace else. I've been like this for 6 years.
This is disassociation, not depression, btw. Can be caused by long-term untreated depression, though. (or by other issues).
>>
Wellbutrin is the brand name for bupropion
>>
I took escatalopram for 10 weeks and became suicidal, then got TMJ when I stopped the medicine.
>>
antidepressants bring you down, man. OR they fuck you up, man. It depends on the scrip. But generally, they dont do no good, either way. If you're cracked out and you take antidepressants, you will still be cracked out, just slower. Or, if you're like...suicidal depressed, then the antidepressants will make you all cracked out. Either way, you still wont be able to think straight.
>>
>>17104588
>antidepressants bring you down, man
>OR they fuck you up, man.
>dont do no good, either way.
That means they're not working, you go tell the doctor "the meds are making the problem worse" and they switch you to a different one (or a different class entirely).
Medication is never supposed to make the problem worse, the entire point of psychiatry is to make you more functional, ie improve your ability to live your life, do your job, love your SO, raise your kids, take care of your dog, etc.
So stop with this "meds are bad" meme, if they make you worse you just stop taking them and that's it.

The only drugs that are supposed to zombify you are antipsychotics (because it's better to be a zombie than to be a psychotic homicidal lunatic trying to stab your eyes out with a pair of scissors to remove the secret government implant the freemasons stuck in you during your alien abduction).

>>17104551
Out of curiosity, how did you stop taking it: taper off, cold turkey, replace with another?
How long did the TMJD last?
>>
>>17104588
>antidepressants bring you down, man. OR they fuck you up, man. It depends on the scrip. But generally, they dont do no good, either way. If you're cracked out and you take antidepressants, you will still be cracked out, just slower. Or, if you're like...suicidal depressed, then the antidepressants will make you all cracked out. Either way, you still wont be able to think straight.
This is not at all my experience. As everyone above has noted, there are a lot of antidepressants with distinct functions and side effects; I'm on buproprion, which is used, among other things, to make people quit smoking, and which is famous for not having sexual side effects (many antidepressants either kill libido or diminish your ability to achieve orgasm). It didn't make me quit smoking, and I didn't personally lose any weight (my worst depression corresponded with a period of unemployment and heavy drinking, neither of which are good for weight loss), but it does have a mild but noticeably positive effect on my mood, without exacerbating my occasional anxiety in any way that I can tell. In short, it helped and did not in any way make me worse.

My brother is more seriously depressed than I am--he's been on a wide range of psych meds over the decades, in several classes. Some helped a lot (he also likes buproprion, which is also good for some ADHD symptoms), some were less useful (Paxil, Prozac didn't work for him), but if they didn't make him feel better after a few weeks (in many cases it takes a while for the drugs to build to a therapeutic level in your body) he talked to his shrink and tried something else, which is what anyone who tries psychoactive meds needs to do. And he never got fat and/or lazy.

Some drugs definitely have sedative effects--I know people from group therapy that complain of foggy-headedness. And I know some meds do promote weight gain, but the only people I've known to have real problems on that front were taking antipsychotics.
>>
>>17104643
I was titrated off the medication. I was at 20mg, so when I called my doctor to discuss, he immediately told me to take 10mg instread. Basically 10mg for 10 days, then 10mg every other day for 10 days, then stop.

It's a year and a half later and I still have TMJ. I am currently on bupropion (Wellbutrin) and noratryptaline.
Other medicines I was perviously perscribed include:
Effexor (no positives, killed libido)
Prozac (lots of positives, I was on it for 8 months, but I gained 20lbs, so I needed to stop taking it because the 20lbs has negative health outcomes too)
Cymbalta (helped with the chronic pain, killed libido)
Lorazepam (Ativan) for anxiety/panic attacks to be used as needed -have only taken it maybe 15 times ever
Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) for TMJ
Diazepam (Valium) for vaginismus, to be inserted vaginally
Topical valium/baclofen to be applied to the vaginal area for vaginismus
Propanolol for anxiety

The most consistent relief from the TMJ was when I started the Prozac and was taking cyclobenzaprine in the evenings.
After it was clear the Prozac was helping, my dentist discontinued the cyclobenzaprine use
>>
I've had positive experiences with anti-depressants. I took SNRIs.

They keep me up 99% of the time.

I've gained weight, but I believe it to be from poor eating choices more than anything, although I wouldn't say that the tablets haven't helped a little.

Your best bet is like others said, take it, try it, switch if they don't work.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.