[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm starting a barista job...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: afuckingcoffeecup.jpg (235 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
afuckingcoffeecup.jpg
235 KB, 1680x1050
Hey /adv/, I had an in at a coffee shop and will likely start work as a barista sometime this week. I have close to four years of experience in restaurants, but none behind a coffee bar.

Is there some way to prepare myself? I'm sure I'll be asked questions by customers. Some answers I can pick up along the way, but I'd like to get a head start if possible since I'm bored/enjoy being prepared for what I do. So any tips or advice regarding the job would be appreciated. Or directions to some holy grail guide. Thanks famalamalam
>>
>>17102345
...if its not a shit place, they will train you. probably with sheets with info regarding ingredients, calorie content, instructions on how to make the drinks etc. High school drop outs do that shit man.
>>
File: image.jpg (669 KB, 3024x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
669 KB, 3024x3024
Hey! I'm a barista! I'll help you out.

1. Traditional coffee shop or Starbucks?
2. Did you receive any training?
3. Is it only you behind the counter, or other baristas?
>>
Lol your job is pouring coffee.

Expect to do that. A lot.
>>
>>17102361
I know they'll train me. And yes, I realize it's not fucking rocket science. I'm just interested in getting a head start since the uni semester is over and I'm bored.
>>17102366
1) Traditional coffee shop
2) I will be
3) There will be others. Pretty sure I'll just be on the till for a while to begin with.
>>
File: image.jpg (472 KB, 2721x2721) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
472 KB, 2721x2721
>>17102391
I work at a small shop where only one barista works at a time, so we have to be on point to run the place smoothly. Here is my advice, hope it can help you:

Your most important skills will be speed/dexterity and charisma/composure.

Speed/Dex - There's a line of folks with the patience customary for our modern age (none), and it takes 2-4 minutes to make a latte, and everyone wants one. After you've had them pay and assure their drinks will be out, you're under pressure to pull espresso, add flavors, and steam milk. Do it fast, but do it well! Learn how long each task takes and strategize their order. Have as many supplies prepared beforehand to optimize speed.
Tips: use a thermometer to avoid burning milk. Milk heats up faster in small jugs. Watch videos to learn how to make smooth latte milk and create latte art.
Do drinks in order to avoid conflict in a rush! Write down orders on sticky notes if you have bad short term memory.

Charisma - Tell customers "will be with you shortly" and let them know what's up. Ask if they want sugar or room for cream, they appreciate that you want to do a good job for them. Learn names of frequent customers and their preferred drink. Generally learn how to speak to people comfortably and kindly, and think of fun conversation topics. You'll be well liked, and not put down if they see you are professional and a cool person.

Your boss will like you if you suggest and find ways to improve the shop.
>>
>>17102513
Other stuff:
You'll obviously learn what all of the drink types are, it's essential to have them readily memorized, and not too hard to do
Learn about the coffees you carry (where they come from, type of roast, subtle flavors). Light roasts have more caffeine than medium roasts, and espresso beans are the darkest roasted to create that thick, oily texture when flooded with water in that pressure chamber.
If it is a slow day, start up conversations with people who are open to it. You'll create a good reputation, a customer base, and meet people from all walks of life. This is a very rewarding job if you allow it to be!
>>
>>17102345
It's just coffee.
>>
>>17102540
Thanks mate, I'm looking forward to it.
>>
>>17102628
Good luck!! Happy you're at a real shop and not a SB :)
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.