[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is learning a language just for fun (i.e. almost never spoken
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: Cat-Burger-Pillow.jpg (123 KB, 700x583) Image search: [Google]
Cat-Burger-Pillow.jpg
123 KB, 700x583
Is learning a language just for fun (i.e. almost never spoken in your region) a bad thing?
>>
Of course not. Why would it be?
>>
>>17099966
But you will never use it anyway (eg. an Aussie learning French or a Taiwanese person learning Spanish).
>>
>>17099999

Nice quints.
>>
>>17099995
I'm an aussie learning french, it's a cool hobby to have and if I ever go to France it'll help a lot (obviously), and if I ever meet any french people it will also... help a lot. If neither of those things happens who cares really, it's good to learn new things and expand your mind. Learn whatever language you wanna learn
>>
>>17100001
When will you ever use it? Will you go to New Cadenonia just for the sake of using French? It seems like a shame to learn a language when you will probably only spend a vacation or two in France during your lifetime. And how many French people are there in Australia? Probably not that many.
>>
>>17100011
There aren't that many, but there's always the possibility I'll meet someone. But like I said, it doesn't really matter if I don't. Is there a language you want to learn but you're avoiding because you think it'll be useless? What is it?
>>
>>17100014
Not OP. Well I've heard of Aussies with French or Swiss decent living in Australia. I also have a friend doing French as her major in Australia.
I'm from Hong Kong but I already know all the languages that are widely spoken here. I am thinking of picking French or Spanish. Bad choice or not?
>>
>>17099920
Well, my Mom's from Finland, so I started learning finnish, but its definitely not useful in Australia. No big finnish community i know of except for a retirement home.

Also, Finnish is incredibly difficult, even more so than swedish. I think I should opt for chinese, because I see it becoming the main language for australia, given how many chinese are in australia these days.
>>
>>17100021
>Finnish is incredibly difficult
Finnish is not an Indo-European language, that's why
>>
>>17100011
>Will you go to New Cadenonia just for the sake of using French?
>What is internet
Just get into those sites where you add people of other countries in skype for the sake of learning each other languages.
>>
>>17100021
You can always learn more than one extra language. I'd say learn enough Finnish to be conversational with your mum/any other Finnish family members, and learn Chinese fully if you really want to.
>>
>>17100028
Honhonhon pretty retarded to learn French just to talk to strangers online. Talking to online friends who are actually creeps looking for girls are just as bad.
>>
>>17099998
Inconceivable! HOW ARE YOU ONE DIGIT FROM THOSE QUINTS!?
>>
Guys, it's career Brandon posting again. Stop replying. Waste of time.
>>
>>17100033
You don't learn french because of its usage, you learn it because you like it and then you find usage for it. Learning a "useful language" that you don't like it's 10x times more difficult.
Also, talking to girls online is just one of many things you can do without the need of traveling.
>>
>>17100041
>because you like it and then you find usage for it
Kek reading boring French books just so the sake of French is pretty dumb imo
>>
DO NOT REPLY TO BRANDON THREADS
>>
>>17100043
Why on earth are you picking in learning french then?
>>
>>17100050
?
>>
>>17100049
what does this mean
>>
>>17100058
He's an autist who keeps creating tgese threads. About careers, languages, etc. Then he will just go in circles saying he's right and you're wrong.
>>
>>17100065
oh lol okay
>>
I don't understand why people think of languages as simply tools so you can speak to foreigners when you travel. Different languages give you new ideas about the world because of their different features and words. They allow you to catch glimpses of different cultures. They allow you to read books in their original form instead of a translation. They give you historical insight on how your (and other languages) evolved and how they relate to one another. They make it easier to learn even more languages.

IMO, learning languages is work, but awesome.
>>
>>17100073
>allow you to catch glimpses of different cultures
Why not just read English books about those cultures?
>>
he's back
>>
Learning is never a bad thing.
>>
>>17100391
You will never use what you've learned though
>>
>>17099920
Fuck your bait and fuck you, brandon.
>>
And here I thought Brandon had left. Fuck off, thanks.
>>
>>17100540
How do you know that?
>>
>>17100554
When will an Aussie ever use French except online or during his once-in-a-lifetime vacation to France?
>>
>>17100554
this
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.