[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do I do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
I am 20yrs old. I have never met my father.

I have his Facebook page. I haven't looked. I'm not sure I want to. It isnt so much the whole "expectations vs reality" thing. I'm just getting used to the idea that id never meet the guy.

I was fine letting it all be as it is. I'm afraid of changing this.

Here is my question. If you had never met your father, and suddenly had the chance to, would you want to? Why or why not?

What good could come from just knowing? Is putting a face to all of that pain worth it?

I don't think I need closure, I let the anger go a year ago. I'm scared.

There's a knot in my stomach.
>>
Why do you have his facebook page? Did you look it up on your own or was it given to you? What were the circumstances of him not being in your life?
>>
My father is an alcoholic and got separated from my mom when I was around 6, now I'm 20. I meet him like once a year and every time he calls me he tries to convince me that he have changed but when I do meet him 99% of the times he will have a bootle of beer in his hands, if he don't have it he'll just go buy one during our conversation even if it's like 7 in the morning

It depends on why you haven't met him but if it's because drug or alcohol reason I would not recommend it.
>>
>>17098211
My mom found it, he knew about me but basically said, "I ain't got time or money for a kid. Sorry, anoness. Good luck with the kid."

>>17098230

I wouldn't know.

I have a half brother, whom I've never met, as well.
>>
>>17098230
Similar situation. My dad ran out on my and my mom and sister like 5 times. Last time I saw him I was like 15. Now I'm 24. He's tried to contact me, especially through Facebook. One time he managed to get my cell phone number. An hour later I was at the Verizon store getting in changed and nearly in tears. I can handle not being with him, but any sign of him being near or or such, I get so fucking angry. Although recently, I googled my own name (i'm his junior so same name) and I found a published article on a university webpage. It was like his final paper or whatever, and the front page said "to my son and daughter" dedication page. I felt mad though when I read that.

OP, if I was in your shoes. Honestly, I would like to meet the guy. But 99% of the time, you wont find the answers, closure or satisfaction you were looking for.
>>
That's a hard question anon.
I barely know my own dad, he has never done anything with me, never thought me anything or taken me anywhere.
He has always been around but always been distant emotionally. I'm not entirely sure why that is, I think it's just a part of his personality.
I don't think my life would've been very different if I had never met him. If I knew what kind of man he is, I would've probably not bothered contacting him.
I guess not knowing is quite painful but there might be a reason why you've never met him.
If I were you, I'd look trough his Facebook page, see what kind of person he is (granted that he has posted anything) then make a judgment. If he seems like a decent person it might be worth getting in touch and seeing where that gets you, otherwise just quit and give yourself time to forget about him.
>>
>>17098321
I'm not even hoping he's decent.

... is there ANYTHING good that could come from knowing? I just want to go on pretending he's dead or something.

I know that's the coward in me. He doesn't owe me anything. In fact I get it. I sympathise with the guy. I've got a son, and dealing with a baby mama (for lack of a better term) is fucking awful. I wonder if the fact that I fight to see my son every week is even worth it.

Im not curious. I'm not desperate.

Is there a right thing to do? If I had a son I'd never met... idk what would want.
>>
I'm the same guy who were talking about my alcoholic dad, I think you should contact him and at least give him a chance. book a meeting with him maybe for a lunch or something similar and ask questions about his life and maybe you'll find some answers.

But do keep in mind that he left you and your mom for some reason and that reason is more important for him then his family. Personally I want to know why that reason is so important and from that make a judgement.

In my case my dad was actually really caring and a good husband to my mom buy he fell asleep when he was driving and became a bit crazy+blind, he turned to alcohol as an escape and got fired from his position as a district boss for a large company and now he is unemplyeded and living on benefits so that's why my mom left him. I can understand why he's like that and that's why I meet him every year
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.