[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anons, as an asian female how do I talk to white people? Going
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2
Anons, as an asian female how do I talk to white people? Going off to uni next year and I realized my entire social circle(s) consist of asians. I'm also kind of intimidated by white people... (both male and female) ;;;

thank you kindly!
>>
b-bump ;-;
>>
Why do you want to talk to white people?
>>
See them as people first, then white second if you honestly care about the distinction. That is how most white people see you.
>>
>>17098150
The uni I'm going to has an overwhelming majority of white people. Where I live rn racial demographics are much more equal

plus, i need to learn to converse with all kinds of people not just asians anon
>>
>>17098161
hmm, ok then I understand I'm an asian male myself living in Europe. my problem is that I don't have enough asians to talk to hahaha. But just talk to them like you talk to your asian friends and if you click then you'll get a new friend, that's usually how friendship works
>>
File: 1461802684340.jpg (62 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
1461802684340.jpg
62 KB, 540x405
>>17098161
Where are you going?

And you're going to have to work REALLY hard to be accepted as more than "the transfer student". In America anyway. We love generalizing and putting people in a proverbial box.
>>
>>17098160
>>17098160
What do I even talk about with them though? the males all talk about their fantasy sports and the females discuss clothing/netflix shows

I guess where I live right now the races separated into their little cliques

:c
>>
>>17098187
I'm not a transfer student anon I'm a senior graduating hs :o

Going to RPI (stem school predominantly filled with white males)

what do I have to do/work hard at?
>>
Are you from mainland or are you living in the west?
>>
>>17098180
>>17098188
Oops meant to link to this as well
>>
>>17098107
I'm dying of the irony. White people like my friends are DYING to know how to get at people like you and has literally dedicated his entire social life to doing it.
>>
>>17098195
Lived and raised in the states for most of my life, mostly on the east coast.
>>
>>17098188
Those are normies. They're pretty awful. But there are genuine people everywhere, you just need a little luck and intuition. Don't have any advice for that though because I found my friends through sheer luck and accident. Hope everything turns out for the better, anon.
>>
>>17098192
Americans generalize a lot so if you want to truly blend with our groups you'll have to practically study us.
>>
>>17098107
What kind of chinese are you?
>>
>>17098213
Mongolian

C:
>>
>>17098192
Please tell me you're on the main campus. Hartford is a fucking hellhole in which you do not want to be.
>>
>>17098213
I'm confused by this question? I was born and raised in the US, first generation chinese.

>>17098199
y-yellow fever anon? what did they do with their social life to do so?

>>17098208
how do I go about studying white people? I'm also a born and bred american if that helps
>>
>>17098218
Oh I wasn't aware there was another campus >.>
Definitely on the main, got in with 30k scholarship

>>17098216
This isn't me anon but I have a nice mongolian friend whose probably going to the olympics c:
>>
>>17098231
So you're Japanese then? I'm confused?
>>
>>17098231
A lot of white people have yellow fever, I'm sure you'll make some friends... just be aware

You can aslo play the role of the: one asian guy everybody knows like I do, just be a bit goofy and do some stereotypical things like sometimes talk with an accent or bring fried rice for lunch haha (this is not a good way to get real friends but it works if you just want to blend in with the masses.
>>
>>17098216
huush uulziya thuu ;)
>>
>>17098238
N-not sure if troll or actually oblivious to asian demographics ._.
>>
>>17098107
i used to feel this way too, as a fellow asian femanon.

just be open-minded and have fun. try to avoid speaking your native tongue, it'll only serve to alienate and intimidate the white folk. from my experience, white people are just as intimidated to talk to ethnic people who are stuck in their ethnically homogeneous clique. if you show that you're willing to chill and make friends with people outside your race, they'll feel more comfortable to talk with you and be friendly.

just prepare not to get offended by some of their questions about your culture. with how the social justice bullshit is going on, white people are afraid more than ever to offend when they're just curious.

my white boyfriend had to back himself up with a lot of "please don't be offended" type of shit when he was curious about my ethnicity. i felt kinda bad for him because it's such a harmless question, but it kinda shows how fucked up our social politics are these days.
>>
>>17098255
From my experience white people tend to be more interested if you speak you native tongue infront of them, I do it all the time when i speak to my mom for example, of course you need to stand out with the ching chong bullshit but some of my white best friends even learned how to talk with my parents in my native language during dinner and stuff like that
>>
>>17098255
ahh thanks so much for the advice femanon

that was helpful c:
>>
>>17098238
explanation:

asia is a big continent. different countries in it are: japan, korea, china, india, mongolia.

china is not asia, hence the mentioned confusion.
>>
>>17098267
when i mentioned that part, i meant it in the sense that it's a matter of being considerate about the people around you. in a way, it's disrespectful and awkward. i feel this way about my other ethnic friends who speak chinese or spanish or whatever to each other when everyone can speak english (i'm korean by the way), especially for an extended period of time. one or two words is fine, but you'd be effectively leaving them in the dark by speaking another language. and they'll always wonder what you guys were talking about.

even i have to roll my eyes when i see my korean friend talking to another korean (who can speak english perfectly fine) in front of our english-speaking friends, who just end up standing there awkwardly and wondering what they're laughing about and are too shy to ask.

obviously there are situations where you can't help it. (ie. talking to your mom, or someone who can't speak english) but it's much better to actively speak a language everyone can understand otherwise.

>>17098268
no problem, hope you have fun in your uni!
>>
>>17098325
Ah ok I didn't think about that haha, I don't have any asian friends except 1 girl in my class but she cannot speak her native language so I'm basically the only asian guy in my community. A situation like that have never happened to me.
>>
treat them the same. i find asian-white relations have the most respect between the two and are almost exactly the same. even racist white people usually like asians
>>
>>17098339
yeah it's cool, it took me a while to understand it too until i started to diversify my group of friends. helps that my korean is pretty shitty, so i feel on the same vibe as my non-korean speaking friends.
>>
>>17098231
>y-yellow fever anon? what did they do with their social life to do so?
Everyyyyythign they do is a means to be involved more in your groups/ The iinteractions they made, the people they talk to, the events they go to etc. All to get closer to the asians. To the point where sometimes they hang out with people they don't like for that express purpose of networking. It's insane
>>
>>17098188
>the males all talk about their fantasy sports and the females discuss clothing/netflix shows
See, you're thinking of them as white stereotypes and not people.
Talk to them the same as you'd talk to anyone else.
>>
>a born and bred american if that helps

I don't think you'll have a problem talking to people. Just be prepared for casual racism, yellow fever, microaggressions, etc.
>>
>>17098216
Ni hao, ni shi zhongguo chusheng de? Wo shi bai ren shei keyi shou yidiar zhongwen danshi wo bu renshi zhongguo ren. Zhongguo anon qing bang wo ba?
>>
White people here. Don't talk to us, we're terrible.
>>
>>17098664
>yidiar
This cracked me up more than it should've
>>
>>17098682
Explain? Did I fuck up? 4 years of chinese, but I dont talk to anyone in chinese so its still pretty bad.
>>
>>17098688
No, it was good! It's just a funny word in pinyin I guess.
>>
>>17098107
offer happy endings
>>
>>17098713
How much is a happy ending usually? Noone seems to want to answer when I ask.
>>
>>17098107
Research suggests that the discourse patterns of Asian Americans have a significant amount of overlap with White American discourse patterns (if they are from similar socioeconomic background).

Honestly, the best thing to do is literally not think about it. The way we talk is a reflection of our culture, not our race, and being at uni means everyone's pretty much in the same boat with the "new social situation" thing, and everyone is suffering from crippling social anxiety, so seriously don't even think about it.
>>
>>17098107
Just talk to me jesus I'm just an other person. I recently dated a Korean girl who was adopted from Busan and she was a terrible person, do the exact opposite of what she did and I will like you. IE don't be a self-centered, hypocritical, manipulative asshole and a player.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.