[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10? I have Windows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: Windows-10-logo.jpg (42 KB, 645x484) Image search: [Google]
Windows-10-logo.jpg
42 KB, 645x484
Anybody upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10? I have Windows 7 and I have the free upgrade to Windows 10. I have tried Windows 8 before and hated it.

Is it worth it?
>>
No. Stay on 7.
>>
Definitely keep 7. It's the pinnacle of Windows performance and style, in my opinion.
>>
Don't upgrade from 7 straight to 10 unless you want a fresh reinstall. There are so many glitches and problems from going from 7 to 10.
>>
I agree with everyone else, stay with Windows 7, as it is much better.
>>
>>17094165
>>17094171
>>17094190
>>17094204
Confirmed idiots.

Windows 7 is nearly a decade old now. It's plagued with driver problems, security holes, and platform update issues. It's XP 2.0
Windows 10 is a perfectly solid OS and it's about 10 button clicks to turn off the "spying", which if you actually check and look into it is just basic telemetry data (e.g. program diagnostics, hardware statistics, update info, etc)

If you want to stay on 7 and have to upgrade in a year or two anyways, go ahead. But you'll have to buy it, or deal with pirating it and trying to circumvent the completely redesigned windows update system. Or you can get it for free right now, spend 5 minutes turning off the bits you don't like, and have a legit free copy of an updated OS.
>>
>>17094214
Pro Tip: Turning off telemetry doesn't actually turn off telemetry.

OP, don't listen to the Microsoft sales rep. Stay on windows 7. I've used both and trust me 7 is better by a country mile.
>>
>>17094214
>5 minutes turning off the bits you don't like
>Shilling this hard
>>
>>17094156
Win10 is comfy but there are a tons of settings you have to change to make it shill less microsoft
>>
>>17094156
Upgraded from 7 to 10 a few months ago and went back to 7 within a couple of weeks.
Internet connection was dialup slow, wifi kept flaking out, and I couldn't find win10 drivers for some things.
Overall.. A pain in the ass.
>>
Switched from 7 to 10 about 6 months ago. Win 10 is comfy as all hell and seems slightly faster to me. Only problem I've had since I switched was a hardware issue unrelated to OS
>>
Bought a computer with Windows 8 preinstalled 6 months ago and upgraded to 10 right away. No problems except one stupid Realtek sound driver issue, and I love it more than 7. The UI is so much smoother and the Unix-style backend they switched to is amazing. And the new browser, Edge, is pretty nifty too.
>>
>>17094494
Is that they program that causes a random ad to blare out? I frikken hate that thing
>>
Windows 10 is excellent. I'm very happy with it.

I feel like anyone who says to stick with Windows 7 is just buying into the meme that Windows 10 sucks. it doesn't.
>>
stay with 7 because win 10 actually used malware tactics to install itself on some users' computers without their permission a few months ago. shady as fuck.

get gwx control panel to make sure there's no win 10 crap on your computer.

10 is a shitty number, they should've made 11 the ultimate.
>>
File: 65fASMm.jpg (127 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
65fASMm.jpg
127 KB, 1920x1080
with win 10 you have less privacy, stupid updates + you must be sure your laptop/pc have drivers for win 10. If you are normal user and don't need dx12 stay with old good win 7(i customized my win 7 to look like 98 even sound like 98 i love it)
>>
Clean installed 10 for dx12
Its okay, no problems so far

I can play all my old games on it, diablo 2 works and my old c&c games too so i dont care
>>
I switched to windows 10 I think it was mabye a month or two ago. I used windows 8 for a few years, and I had to upgrade my GPU awhile ago. My O.S. was so fucked I couldn't even install my new drivers, I had to just reinstall. Ever since then I've been on windows 10. It's actually really nice, I love the UI and they added a few built in apps so you don't have to download 3rd party shit.

I'm still a bit iffy on the whole security thing, but you can turn it all off anyway. Yeah, it has shit that learns how you type, but that's for their A.I. or whatever it's called, it tries to learn both your voice and your typing style so it can try to help you run your O.S. better, voice commands and what not. But it can be shut off from a few minutes of googling.

For all the idiots saying hur dur my privacy, unless you completely shut yourself out from the internet and build your own O.S., hardware, ect, I've got some bad news for you. They can spy on you no matter what you do. It's just how the internet works.

It really comes down to preference desu, at least for me. I've not had a single issue.
>>
>>17094156
Why is it offered for free.
Need a touch screen to get full experience
Dont get to postpone restart after updates
Try it if you dont like you can remove it
>>
No, definitely do not get win10. I got it on 2 of my 4 PC's and I'm so sorry i did.
I agree with what most people are saying, win7 is the best one, if you have that, keep it.

Some win10 "highlights" i've had:

Keyboard stopped working, even non-usb ones didn't work.
USB ports only "sometimes" work now.
On one computer, i have a permanent watermark that says I need to activate win10, when I try to, it tries to sell me win10, even though it installed itself when i wasn't home, and I had a legit copy of win7.(this one pissed me off the most, that gay looking watermark, fuck)
Cortana is gay, yeah you can disable, but you still had to witness it, in its gay glory.

Have a wireless USB anything? enjoy having it never work properly on win10. If you use gamepads to play games, for example, they will have to be hard-wired.
>>
>>17094156
I bought a new computer and it has Windows 10
I loved Windows 7
I hated Windows 8
I hated Windows 8.1 even more
I like Windows 10 and edge as the web browser
However the only computer I have had for 10 years is the cheapest lap top I could find and installed Linux. Thats the only computer I never had a problem With, no updates
Conclusion go for Windows 10, but if you have an old Laptop you dont use install Linux on it
>>
>>17094156
>Mint >= 7 >= 10

Don't fall for the win 10 meme and go for Linux instead, especially Ubuntu if you don't know where to start...

Aside from that, only upgrade to win 10 if you really need to

>>17096509
Which distro?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.