[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do i tell my brother i want to clean the apartment exclusively
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: Dirty_dishes.jpg (278 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Dirty_dishes.jpg
278 KB, 1600x1200
we've been having an ongoing conflict about cleaning the apartment for the past few months. we moved in together in late december and through mid march i kept the apartment virtually spotless. then my brother blew up on me about how i should never clean up after him no matter what. so i stopped cleaning up after him and...... it just felt so depressing and frustrating. the apartment was never anywhere near as clean as i wanted it to be. he would leave food out all the time. he would scatter crumbs all over the place. he made food stains on the kitchen table and i had to get a tablecloth (i didn't tell him why i got the tablecloth because i didn't want to make him upset). i felt so disempowered, like i had gone from having a meaningful job of taking care of our apartment to being a pariah in HIS apartment. it contributed to feelings of depression i've been having lately, and combined with my all or nothing perfectionist tendencies i sort of gave up on cleaning up much of anything. this only made him more upset because for about a month he had to start cleaning up after me. he finally got fed up last week and stopped talking to me (well first he yelled at me until i started crying, and then he yelled at me some more. but then it was the silent treatment for the rest of the week. any time i tried talking to him he wouldn't say a word in response). then today we had another argument where i criticized him for getting to dictate everything while i'm expected to go along with all of his ideas no matter what. so he asked me if i had any ideas of my own. i did. i just want to be able to take care of the apartment. but i didn't say that, because i was afraid of how he might interpret it.

my brother is kind of effeminate but he's still very much a conventional male. i'm not, and i know that that can sometimes make people uncomfortable. sometimes i even weird myself out. (cont)
>>
desu i'm not just worried what my brother might think if i took over cleaning the apartment, but i'm also worried about being too much of a degenerate/weirdo/whatever else you want to call it. i'm also the one who loves to cook and i cook meals for my brother. i know how weird it would be for me to be responsible for both cooking and cleaning while my brother works. desu that might be an outright unhealthy dynamic for siblings to have.

is there any way i can approach him about this without making it weird?
>>
You dun goof'ed by accepting a roommate that won't let yo pick up after him. The problem is him it seems. He seems set on living in a pigsty and won't accept anything else.
>>
Wait wtf. Why does he not want you to clean?
>>
Assuming hes blowing up at you for cleaning up his stuff is because he would feel bad, try to assign your brother to do something in return.
>>
>>17092631
he said it makes him feel guilty, even though i made it clear that i didn't think less of him for it as long as he appreciated the fact that i was taking care of the apartment
>>
>>17092633
he already works hard all day so i can't see why he would think it was unfair for me to have to clean up after him. taking care of the apt isn't anywhere near as much work as he has to do
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.