[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any reason to join the military if you have a decent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1
File: USS_Essex_109-12r_2520x1800.jpg (451 KB, 2520x1800) Image search: [Google]
USS_Essex_109-12r_2520x1800.jpg
451 KB, 2520x1800
Is there any reason to join the military if you have a decent career? Or is it really just for people without other good options?
>>
>>17067898

unless you can think of one, why should it matter. if you have a decent career why would you consider?

perhaps if you know you can jump back into your career and just want to use the military to pay for college, so that when yuo return to civilian life you can get a house easy.

but for most people its easier and less risky to just stay at your career.
>>
>>17067898
>reason to military:
I like shooting people.
I like torturing people.
I like people yelling at me.
I like people telling me what to do.
I like guns.
I like planes, humvees, tanks, submarines.
I want to get N-year fitness program for free and they even force me to complete it.
I don't know what to do anymore.
I want to defend my country (lol).
I never really liked the thinking and doing this I can mostly not think and have money!
>>
>>17067898
>Is there any reason to join the military if you have a decent career?
Only if you make one yourself.

>Or is it really just for people without other good options?
No, but if it doesn't appeal to you on a personal level then it's no better than anything else that doesn't appeal.
>>
>>17067903
This.

I'm in the Navy currently because parents are broke and the Montgomery GI Bill and the opportunity to save money for the civilian life.
>>
>>17067925

what's your rate?
>>
There are people with decent jobs and careers who are in the reserves and guard.
People do it because of how it feels to serve, to shoot cool guns and shit, and the benefits (education, retirement, ect)

Most people with a career don't usually end up enlisting into active duty though.
>>
>>17067925
Gonna be ITS, waiting to class up to 'A' school right now
>>
>>17067898
No one with a decent job goes into the military.
>>
>>17067920

sounds good to me
>>
No one I have every talked to went into the military when they had a better option except for one.
He regrets this decision.
>>
>>17068131
>There are people with decent jobs and careers who are in the reserves and guard.

I was considering joining the reserve, but I don't want to abandon my career. Is it possible to do both?
>>
>>17068549
If you're serious about it, talk with your employer and see if they will give you military leave. Do your homework so you know how much time to ask for (some MOS's take almost half a year, others a few months of training, ect ect)

If your employer is willing to adjust to your schedule needs and doesn't mind you disappearing for a few months for BCT/AIT then you should be fine.
>>
>>17067920
I want to get away from home is a big one as well.
>>
>Is there any reason to join the military if you have a decent career?
Does killing civilians for Halliburton appeal to you?
>>
>>17068152
I was an HVAC tech making 50k a year before I joined the USMC
>>
>>17067920
>>17069028
I want to die but can't kill myself is also one.
>>
>>17067898
If you want to live on a submarine as far as I know the only way to do that is in the military.
May not be a good reason for you but for people who want to live in a submarine it's pretty compelling.
>>
Oh yeah, definitely keep in mind that no matter which branch you choose, you will have do deal with a lot of stupid bullshit.
That said, some branches have more stupid bullshit than others.
Look into it, ask some old vets, and read online.
>>
>>17067898

Consider just getting into BDSM it's pretty much the same thing but you don't go to prison if you decide you want to return to your normal life.
>>
Personaly,i just want to be trained to be the best killer government money can buy.that and it doesnt matter who you fight for,we'll all die in the end so its nit like im in any real danger of repecussions aimed towards me. Hell,if i got the chance to do something so vile and unholy that itd start a war and kill lotsa people,ide die a happy camper.
>>
>>17069802
USMC
>>
>>17069804
Wow,howd you know i was aiming for that. Well,its my second option. Im still debating wether i want to go for army rangers or not.
>>
>>17069816
Just from the way you worded that, the marines would be a better fit for you than the army.
>>
>>17069816

You definitely sound like the kind of amoral aggressive idiot the USMC loves to use up and spit out as an even worse person. If you love being abused and abusing other it'll help with getting acclimated to the Corps' culture.
>>
>>17069821
From my understanding dont the army rangers have a tougher training course than the marines?thats my main issue.i can get into ethier,i know i can but i want something thatll give me a real challenge.
>>
>>17069835
Both will give you a challenge, but that train of thought is jarhead through and through.
>>
>>17069835

Rangers: more physically and mentally demanding, yeah, but less outright sadism so maybe not to so psychologically stressful. Also less rape.
>>
>>17069840
Rangers are also very selective in who makes the cut. You can get too old for it, where as a marine, you can be a murderer until you die.
>>
>>17069840
Less rape? Well,rangers it is then.
>>
The difference between army and civilian life (for the most part) is that as you move upwards in your civilian career you will find a better class of person, or at least better informed and better educated people around you.
In the military (especially the army) you will find a bunch of ignorant cunts with a smattering of decent types as well, but not enough to make it bearable. So many tossers in the military its unbelievable, and they can and will fuck up the chances of better and brighter people out of jealousy and just pure nastiness.
>>
>>17069849
Murder until i die?i might just ignore the whole rape thing if thats the case.
>>
>>17069856
Also if you want to be a ranger, you need to work well with others. As a team. Marines: less so.
>>
>>17069862
I'll keep that it mind,thank you.
>>
>>17067920
I have a burning desire to go places where a lot of people will try very hard to kill me.12514
>>
>>17069898
Go to somalia.
>>
>>17069835
Go for SEALs if you want the hardest and toughest shit out there.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.