[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
im about to be homeless for the first time i have 60k saved up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: homeless.jpg (301 KB, 955x500) Image search: [Google]
homeless.jpg
301 KB, 955x500
im about to be homeless for the first time
i have 60k saved up in the bank, and get 1k a month from disability

any tips or advice? i'm also a veteran and wondering if anyone here knows about veteran homeless programs
>>
Thank you for your service.

What state do you live in? Programs for homeless vets differ from state to state, and some are better than others.
>>
How homeless are you going to be? Is it like you got no place to go after work or are you seriously flying up a sign?
>>
>>17014703
Don't beg ever, I just saw a guy begging for bus money (he stunk) and a mobile phone.

Everyone ignored him. Including me. Does this mean that the people are cruel? People shouldnt beg, and should go to shelters - dont be foolish guys.
>>
Yeah maybe find a way to talk to a social worker (results may vary but, being a vet helps)
Then learn to enjoy idle time... Look at the sunsets.
Don't beg, Having money in the bank is good.

If you have a car, learn the laws about sleeping in them.
>>
>>17014718
i dont have a job
its going to be probably me staying in motels until i can be situated
>>17014725
you can read the part where i have money saved?
>>17014746
im going to need to get a place to stay and thats why im making this thread, its about advice for homeless
>>
Not gonna thank you for service or anything, I´m not an american and I don´t see it that way but here it goes:

Just find a room at some appartment with roommates. It shouldn´t be too expensive, then based on the degree of your disability you may find a part time job with some programs.
>>
>>17014794
thats actually not a bad idea, i'd be cheaper than some motel probably
but i think more reasonable would be some sort of homeless veterans program, i'd probably get more help and counseling
>>
>>17014787
So money is not an immediate issue, you only got no place to stay.

Since you got some prep-time before going homeless, it's best if you focus in the art of urban camouflage. Basically you try not appear homeless and blend in with the crowds for the sake of safety and shelter:

-Wear all black/dark dresses. Not need to clean them; can sometime blends among the working classes. Good enough for getting quick and dirty job. Totally invisible when sleeping outside.

-Two bags, one large and one small. The large one need to be waterproof and have it stored/hidden somewhere. The small one (e.g. messenger bar) you carry it with you during urban camouflage mode.

-Hygiene. Don't go into homeless shelter bathroom, they're filthy. This is when your camouflage will come in handy; take stealth bath in malls, colleges, airports etc. Trim, don't shave.

-If sleeping in motel starts getting costly, sleep outside in quick collapsible dome tent, do it somewhere out of the way where you won't be disturbed by other. Don't camp along with other homeless people, your safety comes from not being spotted by passerby, looters and police. Don't brave the thunderstorms; get back to stealth mode and sleep at train stations and waiting rooms.

-Winter sucks, sleep in motels.
>>
>>17014703
Your city should have a vet's home. There's also the VA but we all know how much of a struggle that is. Find your soup kitchens and ask around for factory work if there is any in your city.

I feel for you bro nothing tears me up more than seeing homeless vets. It makes me feel like I've failed my brothers.
>>
>>17014703
Thank you for your service op!

Maybe invest in a tent? If I were homeless, I'd save up like 500$ (you already have some saved it seems) and I'd invest in a tent, a sleeping bag/pillow, one of those camping stoves, and some pots and stuff. Think if it like an extended camping trip! Carry around your stuff In a backpack.

A better option is to buy a car and live in that. It's like a mobile home- and cars are actually reasonably comfy!
>>
>>17015006
once the weekend is over ill start calling the VA about their homeless programs
dont need to be so overdramatic
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.