[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
missing tooth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Nesbit-Denture[1].jpg (203 KB, 650x400) Image search: [Google]
Nesbit-Denture[1].jpg
203 KB, 650x400
What is the best long-term solution for a single missing tooth, implant or partial denture?
Can anyone with either of them share their experiences? Pros and cons of each?

From what I've read so far implants can possibly cause problems because of the oxidation of the titanium, while dentures can decay surrounding teeth and lessen the bone density of your jaw, but I'm really not sure what to believe since apparently not having a denture/implant replace your missing tooth also lessens the bone density.

The missing tooth in question is a bottom molar, but any general advice would help.
>>
Hello, man with an implant here.

The best solution long term is to have an implant. Though it depend son how much you are bothered by having a gap there, and whether you feel that the pros of having a permanent implant outweigh a denture, or not having anything at all.

FYI, the titanium's surface layer is oxidized before it is inserted.
>>
>>17012176
>Though it depend son how much you are bothered by having a gap there

The gap itself doesn't bother me, it's far in the back and not noticeable.

But the dentist told me all other teeth adjacent to it will be realigned/messed up, and the above tooth will fall out eventually. And I've also read that the lack of pressure on the bone will cause its density to go down make the jaw/chin look older than it actually is.

How long have you had it? From what age? Did you notice any change in your body's metabolism?(More prone to sickness or the such?)

>FYI, the titanium's surface layer is oxidized before it is inserted.

That's good to know.
>>
>>17012201
I've had it for around 3 years now, since age 22, I'm 25 now. Certainly no changes to anything else. I don't think about it at all really.

I'm not sure how the tooth will fall out, as it is quite literally screwed onto the implant itself. If it becomes damaged it can be easily replaced.
>>
>>17012228
>I'm not sure how the tooth will fall out, as it is quite literally screwed onto the implant itself. If it becomes damaged it can be easily replaced.

Oh never mind, thought the "gap" was in relation with "not having anything at all" part.
>>
>>17012228

no OP but i'm due for an implant later this year. I hear if the implant comes out for any reason theres no hope of putting it back.

confirm?
>>
>>17012146
>>17012146
Dentist here. Implant really is the only choice if the lost tooth is last one in the arch. If the "hole" has teeth on boht sides then you can do a bridge. But if you have lost your second molar and still have one left there is really no need to replace it.
>>
>>17012244
>>17012244
I'm no dentist, so don't take anything I say as medical truth.

But I've never heard of it happening, after the implant is inserted into your jaw / mandible, the bone is encouraged to heal around the screw, so it would be very very difficult for it to fall out.

Even if it came out, I am sure they could use something like cow's bone / collagen as a support.

I think the chances of a failed implant are low. Most implant failures come from patients not looking after them years and years later.
>>
>>17012249
>But if you have lost your second molar and still have one left there is really no need to replace it.

Yeah it's the second one, and its absence isn't really bothering me.

By no need to replace it do you mean no need for an implant or nothing at all?
>>
>>17012263
If it isnt bothering you then yeah, there is absolutely no need to have an implant. Yes, losing a tooth will cause the jaw bone to resorb with time but it won't be noticeable since it's right at the back. Honestly I think recommending implant would be almost quackery. Removable prostheses for replacing a single tooth are pretty much a joke too.
>>
>>17012263
>>17012271
Other guy here, but I'd just like to chime in to say that the only reason I got mine was because it is one of the teeth in the front of my mouth. Had it been further back I wouldn't have bothered.
>>
>>17012176

do you remember how much your implant cost? my dentist quoted me $5000 CAN for the whole procedure + implant.
>>
>>17012311
It would've been £3000 for me (around $4500 I think), but I had it done on the NHS for unrelated reasons, so I didn't actually pay for it directly.
>>
Definitely an implant. They're titanium so the bone osteointogrates around it and won't oxidize -- from a dentist
>>
>>17012319

seems like the cost is similar. Thanks.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.