[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Depression So you can be depressed because of imbalanced brain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: 1450943476445.jpg (71 KB, 750x724) Image search: [Google]
1450943476445.jpg
71 KB, 750x724
Depression

So you can be depressed because of imbalanced brain chemistry and there are plenty of pills to help balance that back you, thus making you happier. People with the problem are sad/depressed even though things are mostly (or totally) ok for them, but because of the messed-up brain chems they can't take joy from their lives.

But what about people who are just in really shitty situations? What do we do about depression?

I'm depressed but its just because my life is so absurdly fucked up and impossible to rectify, not because my serotonin is jacked up or whatever. So if I go talk to a doc, and they prescribe me something thats going to change my brain chemistry, is that really doing me any good?

The obvious thing to do would be to get my life sorted so it didn't depress me, but I've been trying to do that for a decade and its only gotten worse, and it could take another 5-10 years to get back to just normal-person-with-normal-troubles level... if I'm lucky and everything goes well, which it never does. So what the fuck should I do?

I have honestly considered just disappearing and running to some 3rd world country to start over, but that seems like a major pain. Of course the other alternative is an hero, but I'm a pussy so thats probably not going to happen either. I dunno what else is there
>>
Also, anyone know what the % rate is of people who say theyre gonna an hero, and actually do or try?
>>
>>17008875
Hi mate. I just got diagnosed with depression the other day (i.e. I talked to a doctor for 10 mins and she prescribed be Citalopram). She said I probably have imbalanced brain chemistry so drugs would be the way forward. The other cause could be a trauma like bereavement, child abuse, which would benefit more from therapy.

I guess you can have shit situations over a long period of time causing your natural balance of serotonin to lower because you're having a shit time most of the time. Then you can't work your way back.
>>
In my experience, SSRIs are complete shit that do nothing but make things worse.

I tried 5 different SSRIs before I realized psychiatry was bullshit.
>>
better to go to a psychologist or a psychiatrist?
>>
bump?
>>
>>17009479
eh... ok no auto update or quick reply on /adv/? odd but ok

>>17009141
I would love to talk to someone but I feel like I need something more like excellent sagely advice.

Like, I need a fucking 10-person panel to take my all the facts about my case and just tell me what the fuck I'm supposed to do.

I feel like a pill would just numb the hurt tho.
>>
>>17009492
Tell your story and I'll give you my advice.
>>
>>17009110
yeah, it's not like SSRIs have some sort of clinically proven efficacy rates, right?

>oh wait

>>17009141
This, see an actual doctor.
>>
>>17009526
Its super fucking long but basically every decision I make turns out bad, and my latest (graduated with an mba, probably a dumb move, which was an attempt to recover from a previous dumb move of picking aviation as an undergrad degree) move to a new career seems to be again a shit move.

so i have no idea how to stop making bad decisions. how do you cure stupid? i have tried for so many years to stop being an idiot and i just cant and im so frustrated and tired of my own self
>>
>>17009551
Would need more information about what makes these decisions so stupid. Also do you know anyone or can you hire someone who is great at making decisions that you can run things by before future decisions?
>>
>>17009551
>latest career move
a few details, its like.. this guy desperately needs a highly specialized person right now and i can do it but i dont WANT to do it (so it now seems, what the fuck was i fucking thinking*??) and if I turn around and quit i'm probably fucking him hard**

*i was thinking i had no choice and thank god a job came up because i can start paying some fucking bills
**if i had ANYTHING better to jump to, I would. I couldnt give a shit less about anyone at this point. I'm basically having a mild panic attack about my entire future
>>
>>17009564
>Also do you know anyone or can you hire someone who is great at making decisions that you can run things by before future decisions?
uh... no but I wish there was such a thing.

as far as more details, I dunno what you want. I took a job through a friend but you never know till you start. Its super high stress, I'm not great at it, its totally erratic hours, it doesnt pay that great, and no benefits, and is extremely dangerous. There is a chance that I could make major bank later on though, that why when I was desperate for a job I decided to risk it.

In hind sight i want to say I should have kept looking, but I didnt have ANYTHING biting and frankly I dont trust myself anymore to find a good job, I dont even know how to find a "good" job
>>
>>17009565
Why is this such a terrible situation? You have a degree in aviation and an MBA. You have a current job paying bills. And you are free to keep looking for a different job while all your bills are paid. Do you know what % of people would trade with you in a second flat? It seems like you're in the driver's seat. What's the problem?
>>
>>17009574
There are people you can hire to help with this like career counselors.
>>
>>17009575
eh... i guess thats one way to look at it. but 'the problem' is that the long i'm there the longer the guy becomes dependent on me thus the harder for me, like for my own self, to send the guy up shit creek.

>>17009581
how do you find a credible one? how do you know they dont just take your money and send you do the door-to-door vacuum sales job?
>>
>>17009622
If you feel that badly, you can try to help find your replacement before leaving.

To find a credible one I'd look at testimonials and get references. Ask them to let you talk to people they've helped who can show their results.
>>
>>17009622
>send the guy up shit creek
by quitting on him, i mean. he's gonna be hard pressed to find someone else that can do this, i think anyway. but maybe not? i dunno. problem is he is talking about retiring and maybe taking over at some point but like... fuckin first week i dont even know if i like this. and today the dude and his employee were just bickering at eachother like married women im just sitting there like wtf have i done how do i keep doing this. and the guy calls me later to apologize and tell me he's considering replacing this guy whos been working with him.

and that guy might brows 4chan i dunno yet, he looks like a channer. so even the decision to say this much could be yet another bad decision. (this is where a 'lol' would go if i did feel like shit)
>>
>>17009630
>testimonials
eh. i dont believe anything. i dont even know what to believe.
>>
>>17009634
I think you should calm down. It may not be an ideal situation. But it's not like you're stuck here for life. Relax, do the job for a while while looking for something better. If you want also try to find someone who might be able to replace you just in case.

Or if you hate the job but feel obligated, do it a while then demand a big raise.
>>
>>17009640
That's why I said also get references, people you can actually talk to who can show the results. Challenge the person to prove their results. That's legit and a good person will be happy to prove it.
>>
I've come to believe that any depression is caused by one's life being shit, or at least not what one desires it to be. I thought I was chemically imbalanced, but looking back, I realize my life was just shit. Still is, but I'm used to it now. I don't even take medicine anymore.
>>
You know sunlight affects serotonin levels right?
>>
>>17009644
this requires me to make a judgement call, to decide if the job is actually good. because some will be like meh pay but good coworkers or benefits, or whatever mix of what that individual thinks is 'good' but might not be good for me. and my trust in myself to make that determination is very low right now.
>>
>>17009655
just look at the sunlight for afew hours a day,though in most northern countries your pretty fucked.
>>
>>17009661
No you put your trust in the many references you talk to to tell you if the counselor is good and then you put your trust in the counselor to guide you. This way it's not yourself you have to rely on. If they have a number of references and THEY all feel they were helped properly, then you trust them and go for it.
>>
>>17009655
yeah but i dont get less sun that average, im not indoors 24/7

i dunno about 'enough' but also i dont feel like my feeling fluctuates with seasons, and this very-low point is definitely event-induced
>>
>>17009546
>yeah, it's not like SSRIs have some sort of clinically proven efficacy rates, right?
double edged sword, they are also the biggest type of medication that leads to violent outbursts, i think pills are overprescribed in general there are a lot things that can be helped by a proper diet sleep and excercise

check out examine for supplement fact/lists
>>
>>17009622
dude you are in a great situation. why do you want to kill yourself?

you could leave your job for another one eventually
>>
>>17009790
ok see you say it like its a good thing but i actually dont really see it as being a good thing. i see it as me having to put off getting my life on an upswing for yet another year or two and i've already been waiting for a decade+ gahh. and this is the mind fuckery im talking about. is it a good situation, dangerous job, no benefits? i honestly cant say if i can make that determination. maybe it is after all? it sure doesnt feel that way. but then again i am, as previously mentioned, very dumb.
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 539x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 539x960
>>17009808
SSRIs may be helpful for you. Initially for me they made me just 10% happier, and that allowed me to shrug things off and continue going.

Eventually though I just became super-duper apathetic and didn't give two shits about anyone or myself.

Drugs are different for everyone, they may work for you, may not.

Another option you could try is getting tested for ADD/ADHD. I never thought I'd have it, but when I got tested I was pretty firmly in the ADHD category.

Since taking my Ritalin I've actually noticed that I'm less anxious and less depressed, because anxiety and depression (for me and many others with ADD/ADHD) are just Comorbid symptoms.

You feel like you're note achieving as well as you should, you get depressed.

ADHD makes it so your brain can be flooded with sensory data, and one of the hallmarks of ADHD is that we have a hard time controlling our emotions, or have gigantic emotional responses to things that are super small.

Your going into "bad" career choices may just be a symptom of impulsivity.

Just a thought from my end. I'm still a bit shocked to realize that I never had Generalized Anxiety Disorder or Depression, I just had ADHD, so I recommend it A LOT.
>>
>>17009848
I see a lot of myself in what you've written, or at least who I used to be.

Do you have Skype or Kik by chance? If you want we can talk about.

Even if you don't have ADHD I'm sure speaking to someone will help you de-stress and I'm available right now.
>>
THE ANSWER IS VERY SIMPLE.
ARE YOU READY?!??
THE ANSWER IS
MARIJUANA
SATIVA MARIJUANA IS THE ANSWER TO DEPRESSION IT IS NATURAL AND MAKES LIFE ENJOYABLE
>>
>>17009862
DUDE WEED LMAO

kill yourself my man
>>
>>17008875
>I'm depressed but its just because my life is so absurdly fucked up and impossible to rectify, not because my serotonin is jacked up or whatever.
>The obvious thing to do would be to get my life sorted so it didn't depress me, but I've been trying to do that for a decade and its only gotten worse, and it could take another 5-10 years to get back to just normal-person-with-normal-troubles level... if I'm lucky and everything goes well, which it never does.
>>17009551
>basically every decision I make turns out bad, and my latest (graduated with an mba, probably a dumb move, which was an attempt to recover from a previous dumb move of picking aviation as an undergrad degree) move to a new career seems to be again a shit move.
>so i have no idea how to stop making bad decisions. how do you cure stupid? i have tried for so many years to stop being an idiot and i just cant and im so frustrated and tired of my own self
I know that feeling.

>>17009565
I'm basically having a mild panic attack about my entire future
Textbook quarter-life crisis…been there…still there.
>>
>>17008875
That pic sums up my sex life which is non existent
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.