[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My psychiatrist gave me some expired medicine and told me that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: cymbalta-box.jpg (169 KB, 620x590) Image search: [Google]
cymbalta-box.jpg
169 KB, 620x590
My psychiatrist gave me some expired medicine and told me that the expiration date on some drugs don't really mean shit thus it's safe and effective to still take it. I don't have any friend with med major, so I did some research online but I got a lot of both yes's and no's.
So is it really safe?
>>
>>17008688
Sounds like a scam
>>
>>17008688

Usually, yes. I really doubt your doctor's lying to you. If it's like 10 years expired, then you should request a new prescription. But if you're only like a year or two past the "sell by" date, there's literally no difference between your meds and brand-new meds. It's not like food, it's not going to colonize with bacteria and start rotting
>>
>>17008688
probably. Most drugs just become weaker as the expire.
>>
*pic related (obviously)
>>17008693
Well most answers I got online say it's safe, just might not be as effective. And some said it might be limited to the psychiatric ones. I don't think I've seen half of the words from their supporting details.
>>
>>17008694
Well it expired last November.
So it won't kill me right?
>>
>>17008688
You are looking for medical advice from friends and the internet instead of taking advice from a psychiatrist? Smart.
>>
>>17008709
I don't know the psychiatrist so well, and the internet seems to be having contrasting opinions. So I assume it wouldn't be bad to at least search for advice from the third side... right?
>>
Expiration dates on drugs are kind of like a guarantee of drug efficacy up until a certain date. The manufacturer is establishing that the ingredients inside the medication will not begin to deteriorate and potency will not be lost until the expiration date.

Expired medication should still be safe to use, but it may not be as potent or effective as new medication.

I would think that your medication would be fine, but I would hope you were able to purchase the medication at a discount.
>>
>>17008688
I overheard a professor in at UAMS say "even if medicine is expired, as long as it isn't falling out of the capsule it should still be safe to use." once if that helps.
>>
>>17008706

It wouldn't kill you even if it expired 20 years ago. It just might lose potency.

But it expired just a few months ago, so it's good as new. And your doctor told you it was fine, so fuck, I think its fine dude
>>
Certified nutcase here. That shit wasn't effective even when it was fresh. Do other drugs if you want to feel better about yourself.
>>
It's safe. Your psychiatrist went to medical school for four years.

Source: I am also in medical school.
>>
>>17008688
Trust the professional, if you were to die they would be on deep shit.
>>
>>17008749
>>17008763
>>17008781
Thanks a lot. btw I'm taking ritalin (not expired) at the same time. Would they have any negative effect if I take both at the same time?
>>
>>17008995
Anyone?
>>
>>17009097
My friend was on adhd and depression meds at the same time, and he said it was really hard to eat. I'd recommend eating a full meal with the meds to ensure you get off on a good start.
>>
>>17008688
Yeah it should be fine, only a handful of the thousands of approved drugs actually break down into dangerous compounds (i can't actually remember any off the top of my head).
And if it's only 6 months or so past the date it probably hasn't even lost much of its concentration yet.

Your psychiatrist probably gave them to you (instead of sending you to the pharmacy with the prescription) because they have a ton of it sitting around and it's expiring (like the box in the pic says, they get tons of samples from the companies that make them).

>>17008995
Cymbalta and Ritalin both block norepinephrine reuptake, meaning there's a couple things you'll have to be careful about.

First, if you have high blood pressure, tachycardia, arrythmia, etc, both of those drugs will make it worse by themselves: together they may be dangerous. However, your doctor already thought about this when they prescribed you the Ritalin, so you probably don't have any heart problems to worry about (if you did, they'd have prescribed something else).

Second, like >>17009380 said both of them separately will reduce your appetite, together they can wipe it out completely. What's the Ritalin for? ADHD i'm guessing? If so, you can easily control it by planning your doses so the time of action doesn't overlap with a meal (should know by now how long it lasts for you). If you're taking it for something other than ADHD (eg narcolepsy) then things are more difficult, but from experience that's probably not the case.

Finally, you may have problems getting hard (erectile dysfunction). As above, both drugs can do this by themselves, together they'll do it more severely, and you'll basically have to avoid taking the ritalin when you want to fuck.
>>
>>17008688
It varies from drug to drug, and you have to assume your doctor knows about this one.

The worst that can happen is that a drug's power can decline with age. But think about all the asperins and other things that sit in your medicine cabinet for years after you buy them.
>>
Well, they should be giving out fresh shit just as a legal matter. The fact they do otherwise screams fishy to me.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.