[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In 3 months I'm buying a laptop to use for school and home
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 1459539602735.jpg (54 KB, 600x686) Image search: [Google]
1459539602735.jpg
54 KB, 600x686
In 3 months I'm buying a laptop to use for school and home etc. I'm in the UK and need the names of brands that are the best combination of good quality and value for money. I'm hovering around the 300-400 pound region so I won't be buying a gaming laptop. Any brands like HP that are great for both games and everything else?
>>
Anyone?
>>
I have an Asus. I think it's pretty good. I use it for work and mostly browsing the net, but it can run games fairly well.
>>
>>17008231
Seconded. Asus is great quality vs. price.
>>
>>17008060
>>17008242

Though if no Asus laptops are in that price range, just remember to stay away from Toshiba, Apple (if any of their products even go that low, kek), and Chromebooks. HP is decent, same with Dell (though heard of some common battery issues from friends/family), and idk about Lenovo or any other brands I missed.
>>
File: 1440048846630.jpg (125 KB, 786x1003) Image search: [Google]
1440048846630.jpg
125 KB, 786x1003
Check /g/. I'm gonna get a x220 soon.
>>
>>17008060
Lenovo
>>
>>17008060
Check the /g/ sticky on buying used Lenovo Thinkpads. The memes are actually true if you want a good deal on a well built laptop with decent specs.
>>
>>17008060
Acer
>>
>HP
Did you want a computer or a space heater?

Also no computer which is "great for games" (by the way, asking for that on a laptop is a joke) is also great for everything else. What makes a laptop great for big boy uses is more important when it comes to value for money anyway.

Don't worry yourself about the games. Consider size (even 15.6" is a bit cumbersome for transport), weight, battery life and whether it supports what you need out of it. I don't know whether your studies are limited to word processing or involve 3D modeling.

As for the brands listed so far, here's some feedback:
- Asus is actually pretty solid, as suggested
- Toshiba has gotten a lot better over the past several years
- Chromebooks are quite limited unless you know how to work with Linux
- Dell's decent on some models, awful on others
- Lenovo has had two malware bloat issues recently; I dig their hardware but I can't say I trust them anymore
- Used laptops especially stress the need to know your future use cases and what sort of machine is needed to cope with them, plus battery life tends to be crummier the farther back you go
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.