[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, /adv/, I've been incredibly lucky and incredibly blessed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: Totoro-Picture-Wallpaper-Desktop.jpg (312 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Totoro-Picture-Wallpaper-Desktop.jpg
312 KB, 1920x1080
So, /adv/, I've been incredibly lucky and incredibly blessed to have received two admissions offers to both Princeton's and Columbia's engineering MS programs with full financial support. I have to make a decision within the next few days, but I'm having a hard time choosing.

Columbia: I can transfer roughly half of the credits required for my degree program, finishing in about a year. During my graduate program (at whatever school I'm at), I want to take the opportunity to explore the theoretical side of my field more. Between the two schools, Columbia (says) that it offers more classes in this area, but it's somewhat unpredictable because the classes it claims to offer aren't always offered. I'm also quite familiar with professors at Columbia.

Princeton: I can't transfer any credits. The number of courses I have to take is similar, but there are more requirements in the way of TAing and doing a thesis, and I'd only be able to finish in 1.5 years if I severely push myself. According to the requirements, at least half of the courses will be spent taking analogs of courses I took during my undergrad, and the other half would be open to taking whatever variety I want (though the selection may possibly be more limited than at Columbia). Princeton's program has a better reputation (and ranking in my specific area of study).

Another confounding variable: I have two serious, competitive full-time offers at well-reputed and stable companies that will be there after my graduate program so long as I can finish before December of 2017. If I go to Columbia's program, I will certainly be able to finish in time, but if I go to Princeton's program, it will be a stretch, finishing within a week of having to start work in December 2017.

What do, /adv/?
>>
Columbia, obviously.

Have fun (:
>>
>>17007350

Thanks! Would you mind telling me a bit more about why you'd make the choice? Do you find that the convenience and class opportunities will most likely be more valuable than the marginal difference in prestige (from perception of possible employers or PhD application reviewers)?
>>
>>17007331
Columbia has the overwhelming advantage of being in New York City, one of the 2 or 3 greatest cities in the world. Princeton is in a little college town in New Jersey.
>>
Seconding Columbia. Finishing early and securing a job offer are two incredibly valuable thngs, far more valuable than the name of the school (this factor is really overrated).
>>
>>17007538

It definitely seems like most people feel Columbia is the better option. Thank you for your advice, anon!
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.