[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I navigate the politics of schools as a teacher?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 1422894879237.jpg (34 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1422894879237.jpg
34 KB, 250x250
How do I navigate the politics of schools as a teacher?
>>
I'm assuming you mean with student to student interaction in which case I'd say treat all students the same, unless they're a jackass I guess.
>>
>>17005189
Nah, I mean like colleagues and administration.
We're told all about how to handle student interactions but nothing about the other guys.

Just to clarify, I've never had a job before. I'm currently a student teacher.
>>
>>17005267

What's the problem, exactly?
>>
>>17005267
Wife's a teacher on the US. Got her help on this one.

The thing is, it depends on a lot of factors, not least of which is the kind of school you wind up teaching at. Public schools are different from private schools, which are themselves different from charter schools. Location matters too: where you are regionally, or in what country. Also, there's the question of what kind of program are you in. Are you in an elective? Core classes? Special-ed?

This is a lot to balance, so while you're a student teacher, ask people for help. Start with your mentors, the professors of your education classes if you have any, and any other teachers you look up to.

If you're in a public school in the US, as soon as you are eligible, join the local union. They have people who can help with this, and they provide liability insurance, which turns out to be useful for a lot more than "some kid split his head open in my classroom". A lot od people hate unions, and sometimes with good readon, but being part of the union is like having 911 on your phone: you hope you never have to use it, but do you really want a phone that can't call the paramedics?

Last thing: learn to pick your battles, and read up on diplomacy and negotiation. Best of luck with the worst thing about teaching, with the possible exception of standardized tests.
>>
>>17005297
Hugely long story. I can't imagine typing it out.

Well, I ended up with a student teacher that is not very agreeable. This person likes to play the big boss and often barks orders at me in front of students and doesn't show much respect for me as a peer OR as a student. I'm treated more like an unpaid intern.

Long story short, one day she barked an order for me to sit down and do something else when I went up to help a student. What's new? So I did so. Afterwards, she told me that I'm not allowed to interact with a student in any way, by request of a parent, and wouldn't tell me why. I started panicking and crying. She took this as I was really distraught over this student. I explained to her that it was because of my treatment up to this point, including this instance, and it was just the straw that broke the camel's back. She asked about the grievances that I had, I answered her truthfully (but still crying like a baby), and she ended up calling me hot-headed, rebellious, fragile and manipulative.

I ended up getting my professors involved because I was completely flabbergasted. Especially about the "manipulative" part.

to be cont.
>>
>>17005329
Thanks, this is great advice.
I'm a band director type, though, so I won't have to worry about standardized tests directly at least.
>>
Unzip your pants in public, and start masturbating furiously while shouting: I want to be respected as a human being
>>
>>17005346
Flash forward to the day after the giant miscommunication that we had: she talks at me some more about how I 'can't talk to her like that' and she 'won't compromise on anything'. She also told me that she has spoken to both of the principals. She also said that I should feel free to speak to them as well so that they know (direct quote) "both sides of the story." After some thought, I do that after school with the assistant principal.

Now I'm in some more hot water. Turns out that my professor is not okay with me talking to any sort of administration about this. I tell her that it is only because it was suggested to me that I should by my mentor teacher. Professor decides to have a conversation with the three of us and during the conversation (unfortunately, I'm crying again, thank you PTSD) and I ask about the principal thing. I say that I would not have gone unless I was told that I could do so. I even directly quote the teacher, and the teacher just flat-out denies anything that happened. All I can do is just nod my head and say okay.

Worst part about this is that she knows I have PTSD. She claims to have it as well, which we all know that everyone on tumblr and their dog claims to have PTSD, and she continues to play therapist with me at her convenience. In the first instance that I actually needed her help, she told me that she was "not my counselor". Very next day she told me to remove my jacket in a freezing classroom because she thought it was "my security blanket". Furthermore she continues to claim that I do rebellious things but does not provide examples to me or my mentor teacher.

My professors are now riding the fence on the whole situation. I get it. I'm not worth the fight it would be to accuse this teacher of being a generally terrible human being.

to be cont.
>>
Just be assertive. Takes guts, but it's well worth it. Don't bottle up your emotions like a pussy. Thats toxic. Chances are the first few transgressions weren't even on purpose, but eventually you started resenting her, and she subconsciously picked up on that, and things began to escalate.

Next time be an adult and use your words. I'm sure you came from a very strict household where asking for your needs to be met was met with adversity or even violence, but the adults are gone, they can't hurt you anymore.
>>
>>17005346
>Afterwards, she told me that I'm not allowed to interact with a student in any way, by request of a parent, and wouldn't tell me why.
Breathe. This is not your fault, and you are not the only person in the world to have had things like this happen. This is not a reflection on you as a student teacher.

One: Parents can't do that.
Two: If she's going to let parents do it anyway, then she can't be taking on student teachers. Part of her duties as a mentor include teaching you about interaction with students. Federal law requires it.

Absolutely tell the university (or whatever program you're in) about this. If they let this continue, thet can lose their accreditation, so they WILL back you up. When you bring it to them, do it in terms of "I am not being allowed to get teaching experience". Keep it professional. Keep it about the qualification you are seeking.

Next: DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT. Write down dates, times, and places for every interaction you have with this person that goes like this. Take notes. Avoid recordings, because there could be students present. And if you are told you are not allowed to do something directly relevant to your student teaching, ask calmly, "May I have that in writing, please?"

When talking to your university about this, do things by e-mail if you think you'll get upset.
>>
>>17005395
Flash forward again to today:
we've agreed on a few things during the meeting with my professor. A couple of the things is that she's going to actually tell me what we're doing each day so I can prepare for it and she's going to "try to be more understanding".

I try something different this time. I just play the game. She wants someone who will treat her like a god. and she does and will stroke her ego? Fine. I give her what she wants.

And that's the irony here.
I'm manipulating her now and now she happy with our working relationship. When I was being honest with her, she accuses me of being manipulative. What is this fresh hell?

So now I'm just going to play the game.
She'll probably give me her recommendation after I've gotten her ego big enough.

That's pretty much what has happened.
It's been a pretty awful experience.
>>
>>17005426
Actually, at least this is what my understanding is in the state of Oklahomo, I don't really have any rights as a student teacher.

She doesn't have to tell me anything. This is what my professor told me as well. After my professor asked her several times at our joint meeting she told me that it was because that student (with anxiety) had become attached to me overly dependent.

I mean, it's fine if a parent feels that way. I'm not particularly attached to this student and it's her mom's decision. I don't agree, but it's not my place to say as a student teacher. At least, that's my understanding.
>>
Bring a voice recorder
>>
>>17005438
>What is this fresh hell?
Welcome to the worst part of the teaching profession. This, right here.

The thing is, remember the endgame. It's about your kids. You will go theough times when you have not said two honest words to another adult at work in a month. But everyone will love you, and you can use this to advocate for yourself and your students, with whom you CAN (and should) be honest. If being able to work brilliantly with your students is not enough, then think hard about this profession. Teaching is both the greatest and worst job in the world. There is NOTHING like having a kid look at you and say "I've never had an adult go to that kind of effort for me before". If that makes it worth it for you, you've found the right job.
>>
>>17005454
Nah, guys, this isn't about how to get back at her or anything. I've gotten off topic.

I just need to know your sage advice about how to completely avoid this type of dramatic shit. It's unfair to me, to the kids, and everyone involved. I need to know how I can calmly get through these situations despite my still learning to cope with PTSD/anxiety/general cynicism.
>>
>>17005465
I mean, yes, definitely. School literally saved my life and I want to help others by being a great band director. I just wish I would've had the work experience or a damn class about this crap. I was completely caught off guard and unprepared.

Is there really no other way? I just wish I didn't have to manipulate people.
>>
>>17005477
>Is there really no other way? I just wish I didn't have to manipulate people.
To a large extent it depends on where you work. That will determine who you have to manipulate, and how often. If you find a really good school for you, it'll be someone you only have to see once a year or so. In my wife's case, for a long time it was the woman in charge of making student schedules. She had to see her once in August and once in April. When it became her department chair, her supervisor, her principal, and her co-teacher in her program, as well as several other administrators, she left that school. Things change.

Sorry to hear about Oklahoma. There are worse places to be a teacher, but not many. My wife says there are some very good teacher-advocacy groups there, though. Look up "Badass Teachers", "SOS Oklahoma", and all of the Oklahoma teachers' unions (not all teachers' unions are good everywhere, but Oklahoma has some really good ones).
>>
>>17005541
Thanks. Will do, bro, will do.
>>
File: tmp_13625-First-Choice522567683.jpg (96 KB, 1295x683) Image search: [Google]
tmp_13625-First-Choice522567683.jpg
96 KB, 1295x683
A bit of context. Student teachers generally have to work with three people: your cooperating professional (the teacher who supervises you day-to-day), your mentor (a professor in your degree program; sometimes you get more than one), and your evaluator (the person from the state department of education who must pass you in order for you to get your certificate). Almost invariably, one of these people will almost make you quit teaching, and another one of them will get you through it. My wife compares it to the first scene in Kingdom Hearts, where you have to take the sword and throw away the shield or some other such combo.

For my wife, her evaluator almost made her quit, and her cooperating professional got her through it. It sounds like OP's nemesis is the cooperating professional, and the mentor sounds like they're doing their job.
>>
I have some friends that were public school teachers in a certain American city. All of them had different personalities but from their experiences I've heard the politics of school administration are unpleasant to say the least.
>>
>>17005717
There's too many politicians in education and not enough educators.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.