[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I got a letter to go in for jury duty next month. It's a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 1405647779230.jpg (306 KB, 1542x2048) Image search: [Google]
1405647779230.jpg
306 KB, 1542x2048
I got a letter to go in for jury duty next month. It's a week before my final exams. I'm kind of freaking out, but I read that I can get excused? I really don't know how any of this works. Can anyone share their experience of being on jury duty? How many days is it? What it the process like? I really don't want to do this.
>>
No one does. It's kinda hard to get out of, your best chance would be to call and postpone, you could probably even postpone it online. You can postpone it, but you still gotta go
>>
File: 1459409386864.jpg (61 KB, 750x752) Image search: [Google]
1459409386864.jpg
61 KB, 750x752
Say you are racist.

Say you are distrustful of law.

Telling them you are stressed about school and are not in the right frame of mind would probably work too.

Both statements will usually get you excused.
>>
>>17002439
Also I just had jury duty back in February. I was there for 3 hours and then my whole group was dismissed. Didn't even have to go into court. But everyone's experience can be different.
>>
>>17002463
Well if it's only for one day, I'll just do it, but like I said I don't really know how this all works. Apparently they ask you questions or something and you get picked to come in for a few days or something? I don't know. I just don't want to do this if it goes into my exam week.
>>
>>17002485
You go in, they play you some tape about how it is a honor to perform your civil duty and then they ask each person a few questions.

They are looking for good jurors. So you want to make yourself look like a poor one.

It isnt hard to get out of. I got a perma-deferment at 18. I am 30 and they havent bugged me since.
>>
>>17002463

Getting out of jury duty is incredibly easy. Every time I've gone they've had the people who want to be excused line up and speak with the judge. I said "I work at Denny's and couldn't afford my rent if I had to take time off" and the judge was totally cool. If you say "I'm a student and I've very committed and this conflicts with exams" I'm sure it'll be fine. Judges spend a lot of time in college and know how much work it takes. Also, they don't want you to be distracted on a jury thinking about the shit you need to make up. Also college students aren't high on the list of desirable jurors anyways.

Or just don't show up. They can't prove you ever got it. I went to my first summons and never went again and I've never heard another word about it in the last 7 years.
>>
I understand there being situations where you legitimately can't do it because its just at the wrong time, but when it isnt, why do people want to get out of it?

Like wtf, its our civic duty as Americans just as much as voting
>>
>>17002439
Those are some nice tits!
Who is she?
>>
>>17002575
Cause its a pain in the ass ya dummy.
>>
>>17002581

is it though? people always say it is, but isnt it a certain amount of time where all you gotta do is sit there and watch a court case? we do this all the time with daytime TV anyway, your job is required to pay, and you get a free lunch. i know some people get bored holding still, but i always thought it'd be kind of fun even if its a lame fucking crime
>>
>>17002600
it can be a pain though. depends on how long you're there for. one of the things some people don't like is the fact that you could be there for 3 hours or 3 weeks. another thing is the nature of some of the crimes. some people that have had bad shit happen to them or to a loved one, like a sexual assault or an abusive relationship, may not be able to sit there and listen to other people describe similar events - possibly over and over in extreme detail - without getting super stressed out and having it mess up their objectivity. often those people will get weeded out during jury selection, but why even go that far if you know it's gonna mess with your head.

it makes you think, though: if you ever commit a crime and the case goes to trial, you're gonna be judged by 12 people most of whom were either too bored or too dumb to get out of jury duty.

anyway the only personal experiences I remember with jury duty are that my dad got picked once (I think he was only there a few days or a week), and that I got a summons to jury duty once (it was a sexual assault case and sometimes that shit just messes with my head, so my therapist wrote them a letter saying I couldn't go). oh yeah, also my husband got summoned once. they let him out because he is disabled.
>>
>>17002679

>tumblr, the POST!
>>
>>17002685
I don't suppose it would help if I pointed out that I don't use tumblr.
>>
>>17002690

its not really about what you do or dont use, its the spirit of the message.

>SOME PEOPLE KNOW THAT RAPE IS REAL SO THEY CANT GO CUZ IT TRIGGERS US

its sad cuz you'd think someone who at least knew someone who went through rape would be sympathetic to helping someone who might have been raped (or preventing a false accusation that would tarnish their loved ones plight).

i stil ldont see waht the issue is. some time off work, and at worst you grow a little as a person.
>>
>>17002697
>its sad cuz you'd think someone who at least knew someone who went through rape would be sympathetic to helping someone who might have been raped (or preventing a false accusation that would tarnish their loved ones plight).
except the point is that you're supposed to be neutral, and you'd probably get kicked off the jury for hiding a bias if it slipped out. or if it came out during jury selection, and either attorney thought there would be an unfavourable bias toward them, they'd ask you to be DQ'd.

I get what you're saying though, and I agree that a lot of cases would probably be helped by jurors actually giving a shit about the victims. but I think you mistook what I said. I didn't say people couldn't go. I said they might not want to if it's too much for them. at the time the case came up, it was a very bad time for me. if the same case came up now? who knows, I might go. I have plenty of time on my hands now, plus klonopin.
>>
>>17002439
You can call say you're a full time student in class and they will reschedule you for summer. I've done it before.
>>
>>17002512
They must not be very strict in your state then. I didn't show up and a month later I got another letter saying I didn't go and I needed to go or else I'd get fined/jail time
>>
>>17002439
Stop being a fucking wuss and just fucking do it. Or postpone it.
The worst that can happen if you show up and try to get out of it is that they deny you and you have to go anyways. But please don't just not show up, unless you want to risk getting in trouble with your state.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.